• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what to do with dents and VERY deep scratches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do with dents and VERY deep scratches?

Hi guys, another few questions that I need help with.

1. I have a very small dent that some idiot has put on my car today, I will say it is a little smalled then a US hald dollar coin (I am australian, but I realise most people on these forums are from the US ), is there any way of removing it? it is on the left side panel next to the engine bay.

2. On my front bumper even before I bought this car there were some noticably terrible scratches. It seems that the previous owner has scraped the bumper along something, so badly that as I rub my finger nail over the scratches/ chips that I am afraid I will remove more paint with my fingernail, thats how deep they are. Is there any meguiars (or any other brand for that matter if meguiars does not have it) product that can fill these scratches? I found a turtlewax polish with this thing called a chipstick in kmart today, the chipstick looked like a lip stick, and there were dif colours for diff paint colours.

3. Stupid quesiton, but I want to upload a few photos to show you all various things to help with sorting out my car problems, when I tried to upload them to the gallery section on this website, it came straight up saying that they exceed the size?? Should I upload them on another image hosting site?

Thanks alot for all the help guys, I really do appreciate it all.

Re: what to do with dents and VERY deep scratches?

1. Some minor dents can be removed by dent repair companies depending on how bad they are and their location. I worked for a Porsche dealer for a while and we a guy that we dealt with who came around every couple of weeks, and he did some pretty amazing work. Maybe just do an online search for paint-less dent removal, or contact your local high end car dealer to see if they have a recommendation.

2. Typically, if you can feel a groove from a scratch with your fingernail you are looking at needing to touch that area up, or a repaint of the panel. If you are working by hand first try Scratch-X 2.0. Work it with a soft foam applicator in a small section. Work it in for 1-2 minutes, and then remove with a high quality micro fiber towel. Repeat this as many as 5-6 times. Other than that you could take it to a detailer that is comfortable with Rotary work. However, it still might need to be touched up or repainted in the scheme of things.

3. http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24941

I hope that helps.
    Rick McDonough
    Customer Engagement - Digital Content Editor
    Meguiar's Inc.
    1.800.854.8073 * 3853
    rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

Thanks so much for ya quick reply, sadly i think that the scratches i am talking avout are beyond a meguiars repair i might look into priming and spraying panels and see if i can just do it myself, cuz i have an air compressor with a paint spray gun, so i would be able to get even coverage.

Thanks alit mate

Comment

Might be worth considering people such as the 'Touch-Up Guys' , or other paint repair people. Won't cost as much as a proper respray by a panel beater etc, and generally it looks like new afterwards.

Not sure who the people are in Sydney, but there's a few of them down here in Melbourne...

Comment

Thanks for the quick advice guys. I should be getting paid from my work tomorrow (finally... ) So I will look into the touch up guys, because honestly, I would rather a proper job then a job by me :P cheers guys.

Comment

Can you guys please check this vid out, it looks interesting, reckon its do able by someone like me? also,is this sort of system readily available do ya reckon?

http://appliedcolors.com Here, we permanently repair hundreds of tiny rock chips on this hood in about 5 minutes. The process: smear color-matching paint ...

Comment

Only an idea. You can use a a paint in spray (the same as car paint) and after painting a few layers, make a wet sanding and then a polishing to match the car paint thick.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');