• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quik Interior Detailer to remove Scotchgard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quik Interior Detailer to remove Scotchgard

I sprayed Scotchgard Auto in the interior of a new car that I just purchased. After the coat dried there was still some white residue from the spray left on the plastic, vinyl, and metal parts.

3M has not been helpful with a response in regards to removing the residue. I tried using warm/hot water but it takes a lot of effort still to remove.

I was wonder if anyone had to remove Scotchgard Auto from these parts and what there method was or would Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer be good for this sort of clean up?

And is a handi-white soft /non-abrasive enough to use or would a chamois be better?

Re: Quik Interior Detailer to remove Scotchgard

If warm water didn't do it, not sure that QID would be strong enough. QID is really more of a duster. QID is nice to have anyway, so might be worth trying, but not sure.

Generally a MF cloth would be recommended.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

What does MF stand for and what kind of cloth is it?

Comment

MF = Microfiber.

You can get them from a lot of places. Meguiars makes bigger ones for exterior work, but I find the Target Vroom brand ones (5 pack of white/gray towels) are nice for interior work.

Just remember they need washed separately, so you might use all 5, then wash.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. Is a type material that would be good at removing snow on the car?

The dealer mentioned some kind of soft brush that would not cause scratches on the car's finish.

Comment

Well, the material itself wont cause scratches, (Of course I would avoid crummy MF towels), where a brush with stiff bristles could. Some brushes do have softer bristles.

But the main problem, besides stiff bristles, will be the dirt/grime/ice/salt/etc on the car, that whatever you use drags around.

Some people will use a brush, or wrap a MF towel around the brush, and try to push off the snow and leave a skim coat of snow on the surface, so they never touch the paint itself.

Comment

I never thought about the possibility of leaving a film of snow. I assume snow is snow and it shouldn't do anything to the exterior, right? I guess the same can be said for ice.

BTW - Is there a way to tell if a micro fiber is of good quality or plain garbage?

Comment

If you are new to them, trusted brands are good places to start. Vroom ones seem nice, and are small for interiors. Meguiars are good of course. Many people use Cobra. Autodetailingsolutions.com sells bulk packs of MF towels, and people like them.

But once you get to feel some, you can tell when others arent as soft/plush. I have some real old Vroom ones (blue/white) that are not as good. Viking ones dont seem as good to me.

And there are different types of MF towels, some for drying (waffle weave), some for general use.

Leaving snow behind wont hurt, and in theory would blow off quickly. I of course have a short commute, so sometimes it melts/thaws into a slab of ice, that needs a sunny/warm day to melt, but still have not seen any problems.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');