• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clear coat removed; anyway to fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clear coat removed; anyway to fix?

I had a scratch in a difficult to reach place that I used Scratch-X 2.0 on. Because it was near an edge I couldn't use a circular motion, but instead used a back and forth motion. I'm pretty sure I took the clearcoat right off (and possibly some paint with it) and now I have these 2 small circles where the color is very dull right around the scratch.

Will M105 help, or any other suggestions

Re: clear coat removed; anyway to fix?

Unfortunately once the clear coat is gone is gone for good.

The only way to fix it is to respray it.

Did your applicator get colored with your car paint color when you went deeply into the surface? If you exposed base coat it should have transfered to your applicator.

Polishing the effected area with paint polish and putting a coat of wax on top of it would provide a temporary visual improvement.

Comment

Any chance of pics?

Or what made you think you went through the clear coat? What did you apply the ScratchX with?

And no, #105 wont help.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

We are going to need a little more info here.....

Clear coat is clear paint. In order to remove a scratch, you have to remove some paint. Obviously, it is a microscopic amount but it is still removed.

I can not see how Scratchx 2.0 when applied by hand removed all of the clear coat on your car. It is almost impossible to remove all of the clear coat by hand even if using M105. Heck, even using a dual action polisher it's difficult.

Any chance of pics?
        Tedrow's Detailing
        845-642-1698
        Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I will try to get some pictures to post but I have a feeling they won't come out good enough for you to really see the damage.

Because the scratch is near an edge I would wipe and then fall off the edge and this was getting me nowhere. I was using a microfiber cloth. So what I did was take the cloth, and using a decent amout of pressure, I went back and forth/up and down/non-circular, right over the scracth. The scratch has been reduced nicely but then I noticed two oval shaped discolored areas right next to the scratch. I'm sure my mistake was using too much pressure.

I'm pretty sure some paint (silver) got on my microfiber cloth. It was a very subtle amount, but you could tell there was some "color" to it.

Should I tape around the area only exposing the dull areas and do a light spray of paint, and then a spray or two of clearcoat? Or could I skip the base coat alltogether?

I'm probably more concerned about protecting the exposed paint more so than making it look better, but I'd be thrilled if I could mask the damage.

The damaged areas are pretty small; the combined surface area of both is probably less than the size of dime.

Comment

What year is your car? You might simly have a tinted clear which would transfer some color to your cloth and that's normal.
            Tedrow's Detailing
            845-642-1698

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn T. View Post
              What year is your car? You might simly have a tinted clear which would transfer some color to your cloth and that's normal.
              2008; paint is metallic silver. I'm pretty sure at least some of the clearcoat is gone since there is a very obvious color difference in the spots, but not sure about all of it. It's looks a lot like when you wetsand an area and the color becomes duller. I've done that before and restored the shine so that's what I was hoping I could do that here.

Comment

I really tend to doubt that you went through the clear coat with Scratchx 2.0 and a microfiber cloth even if the Hulk was using pressure. You may have hazed the area with fine scratches and that is what is giving it that hazy, wetsanded appearance.

Try going over the area again with Scratchx 2.0 and either a foam applicator or a microfiber towel (with the towel use very little pressure). That should bring gloss back to the surface.

If that doesn't work then report back and we will see of we can diagnose it further.
                Tedrow's Detailing
                845-642-1698

Comment

I tend to agree about doubting the micro & scratch x would remove clear. As I understand it that product is a diminishing abrasive, which would need a ton more then anyone's arm could provide to go thru the clear, IMO

How long has the scratch been there???

The reason I ask is that if it went unnoticed or untreated & is a severe scratch then its possible the clear begin failing prior to any treatment you did. Also if you did not clay the area its possible the subtle discoloring may be contaminants picked up, even if washed the car first.

*Pics would be great for helping advice for masking or correction & protection.*

I do think that if its severe, the area surrounding, left untreated/protected may be a starting point for further clear failure, over time of course.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');