• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still need more polishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still need more polishing.

Hi I use the M105/205 combo in my Toyota Corolla 98 white. I use a yellow pad (polishing) for the M 105 and the black pad (finishing) for the 205. I make like 3 pass with the M 105 still not get the cutting I want. Many swirls dissapear but still I see some scratches, The paint finish was great with the 105 only, very shiny remove haze. The 205 works very well and improve reflections to the paint. Im thinking in use a wool pad. I dont want to continue spending money in M 105 because its expensive, more than If I buy a wool pad. I made the polishing in 2000 RPM and end in 1000 rpm, The paint gest hot and the M 105 dry out very fast, the M 205 last a lot more. I making something wrong? or I have a hard paint? Or maybe the car not is Clear coated at all and the paint is the hard white paint? I dont know the difference between CC and single layer. I know that the car have some parts that are single layer and the paint is pretty the same I dont see differences. BTW im glad that I dont made holograms or burn something. I just do the same that saw on videos, still i need to spray QD to mantain wet the M 105 to prevent dry out and i think I used a lot for only the canopy. Also I used it on the back lights and they now are shiny

Re: Still need more polishing.

I don't know if your '98 Corolla has been detailed before. Three passes w/ 105 is not going to remove everything, and you don't want it to. It would be dangerous if it cut too much. Keep hitting it and be patient.

Comment

You will get more 'cut' by using a 'cutting' foam or wool pad, as opposed to the 'polishing' and 'finishing' pads you have used. If it's taking you 3 passes with a 'polishing' pad and you're still not getting the result you're after, you will save yourself a significant amount of time by using a 'cutting' pad.

Of course it may also be that those last few scratches you're chasing are quite deep - are they really worth taking off all that paint for?? May be worth trying to fill them rather than remove them....

Comment

maybe try ultimate compound?may take longer but at least wont dry out as fast as 105
        Don't get so caught up making a living that you forget to make a life.

Comment

Im thinking to get the cutting pad. The car still have a smooth orange peel so I think that still it can take a cutting pad in some areas, In other areas it was repainted with single stage white. Really a white car can be nice but for reflections and shiness it dont work, If I have the money I repaint it red.

Comment

I would also recommend to get more cut and use either foam or wool cutting pad.
            You must have some deep defects on your way. Those pads will save you time.

Many detailers like Meguiar's W5000 Double Sided Wool Pad for cutting (no backing plate but you need an extension). It's the most aggressive one but offers very smooth buffing cycle. May cause some swirls but nothing major which M205 couldn't take care of. W4000 is one sided and slightly less aggressive.
            W7207 cuts less but finishes practically without any swirls. You may experience slight haze instead, but again M205 will remove it in no time.

I very rarely go above 1,800 rpm. In most cases even 1,500 rpm is enough for defect removal. Start with slower speed and you can always go higher if needed.

Comment

I will try lower speed I dont want to dry the M 105 in 40 seconds. I will post pics of the polishing, it was only the canopy, for polish the full car I need days for 4 steps, M 105, M 205, M 03 and M 26, Thedifficult part is that I dont have garage so I need to go part by part.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');