• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M20 or M21????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M20 or M21????

I have an RV coming up and would like to get everyones opinions as to which I should choose to seal it with.

I am looking for the longest durability.

Which should I choose?

Thanks!

Re: M20 or M21????

M21 is newer technology and offers better durability and longevity.
    That is not to say that M20 is not a great product also.
    Brian Hann
    Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, California
    bhann@meguiars.com
    (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

Hi Troy,

There's some difference between these two products:

M20 Polymer Sealant is a cleaner wax and M21 Synthetic Sealant is a finishing wax (sealant).

I would say that if you finish not 100% LSP ready go with M20 but if you're satisfied with previous steps just protect your vehicle with M21.

Due to some mild cleaners and polishing oils in M20 you shouldn't really use multiple layers of that product. But you could top M20 with M21 if you wanted.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Would M20 be better to use than M45 RV cleaner polish?

The RV is in pretty good condition with light staining.

Since I can top a wax M20 with a sealant M21? There won't be a bonding issue?

Thank you for replying and your help.

Comment

M45 would be better for cleaning and polishing.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

That's what I was thinking too.

I am thinking M45 followed by Collinite 925 or M21 which would be better? How long does M21 typically last?

Comment

Murr answered the first question I'll try the second one.

M21 goes on top of any cleaner wax without any bonding issues.
              However M20 outshines it (finishes with more gloss) similar (not quite) to M26 High Tech Yellow Wax. But definitely M21 offers much longer protection.

Troy, how about Meg's newest wax - Ultimate Wax. It offers the best of both worlds - longest protection and great shine.
              Our Administrator, Mike Stoops, posted couple days ago that he applied Ultimate Wax Paste with 4" Finishing Pad and DA polisher and even he got impressed (and you can imagine that not too many things in detailing world can impress him).

Comment

Thank you that clears up a lot.

You know, I was thinking about UW but I just dont know I want to use it on this RV. It's for a customer and I need to KNOW it will last. He doesn't really care about the shine. I think the UW is too new to me to try it on this-maybe my vehicle first. I have a tin of it i plan to use soon and am looking forward to it.

How long are they saying it lasts? It is a polymer wax also, correct?

Comment

That's correct, it's 100% synthetic.

You can apply UW as a very thin coat. It also uses advanced cross-linking which makes it last longer than M21 or Next Tech Wax 2.0 .

I understand your point that you'd rather experiment with it on your own time. Good way to get fully familiar with the product and see what it can do.

Comment

Just to chime in...

1. Meguiar's M20 Polymer Sealant is a polymer sealant and not a cleaner wax. It is a polymer and wax blend and is quite different than a true cleaner wax like M06 Cleaner Wax or M66 etc. Yes, it does have mild cleaners but it is not a true cleaner wax. On a boat or RV, I use M20 about 90% of the time. Most of the time, I apply two layers for uniform coverage.

M21 is a full synthetic sealant. It works very well, and provides a deep rich and wet looking finish.

M20 works much better in the cold, and applies and removes incredibly easily. In terms of longevity, M21 wins, but not by much. I have used literally gallons and gallons of both products and their difference in longevity is negligible (at least in my environment).

2. M45 is a pure polish (just like M07, M05, M81) which is designed to add TS oils to the gel coat etc to add richness to the paint/gel coat. It is not a cleaner type product. For cleaning in more of a one step, try M50 Cleaner Wax.

Perhaps people meant M44 Color Restorer?

M44 is a very mild cleaner that works very well on gel coats.

If you need something stronger, M67 by hand or machine or M49 by rotary.

I hope this helps!

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Just to chime in...

1. Meguiar's M20 Polymer Sealant is a polymer sealant and not a cleaner wax. It is a polymer and wax blend and is quite different than a true cleaner wax like M06 Cleaner Wax or M66 etc. Yes, it does have mild cleaners but it is not a true cleaner wax. On a boat or RV, I use M20 about 90% of the time. Most of the time, I apply two layers for uniform coverage.

M21 is a full synthetic sealant. It works very well, and provides a deep rich and wet looking finish.

M20 works much better in the cold, and applies and removes incredibly easily. In terms of longevity, M21 wins, but not by much. I have used literally gallons and gallons of both products and their difference in longevity is negligible.

2. M45 is a pure polish (just like M07, M05, M81) which is designed to add TS oils to the gel coat etc to add richness to the paint. It is not a cleaner type product. For cleaning in more of a one step, try M50 Cleaner Wax.

Perhaps people meant M44 Color Restorer?

M44 is a very mild cleaner that works very well on gel coats.

If you need something stronger, M67 by hand or machine or M49 by rotary.

I hope this helps!

Tim
                      Tim is certainly correct here. M45 is a PURE POLISH not a cleaner polish. M20 has been around for quite awhile and is a great product.

Tim,

Weren't you one the the original testers of M21 and M21 v 2?

Andy
                      Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                      Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Andy M. View Post
                        Tim is certainly correct here. M45 is a PURE POLISH not a cleaner polish. M20 has been around for quite awhile and is a great product.

Tim,

Weren't you one the the original testers of M21 and M21 v 2?

Andy
                        Hi Andy,

Yes, I was. I have used them both on so many paints and surfaces! Heck, M20 is one of the best products for chrome! As such, I have many gallons on hand of each at all times.

Also to give an opinion, for what it is worth, M26 looks nothing like M20. Meg's M26 is a carnauba wax blend which imparts a nice golden glow to the paint. This makes M26 perfect for reds and blacks. But M20 is the exact opposite; it is beautifully clear which gives a silvery shimmer to blacks and makes whites, silvers and beige metallics just glisten! In terms of durability, M20 or M21 far outlast M26, but I would put M26 up against the best and most exotic carnaubas on the market.

Tim
                        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Good catch on the numbers, didnt think to check if it was the right one.
                          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I must agree 100% with Tim that M20 behavior is totally different that most cleaner waxes due to its super mild cleaners.

Mike Phillips considers it a hybrid cleaner wax because of blending of natural and synthetic ingredients in M20:

The Difference Between a Cleaner/Wax and a Finishing Wax Subtitle: How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project Cleaner/Wax

Comment

Wow I had some catching up to do, thanks guys!

Sorry, I have been experimenting the ULtimate line for the first time.

The RV has very light staining and is in pretty good shape because it's only a year or so old.

With that said, what would be your recommendation Tim? I would like to add te oils back in while protecting it for as long as possible. He was very concerned with the longevity.

Thanks again guys, you have been so much help!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');