• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a Megs car soaps "cleaning power" ... Mythbusters style!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a Megs car soaps "cleaning power" ... Mythbusters style!

I've posted on a few threads in where someone will come out and say GC offers more lubricity and slickness but NXT just "cleans" better ....

Is there any science (per the formula makeup) that truly makes NXT or any soap for that matter "clean" better over another? Anyone do a side by side comparison?

I mean does it have any encapsulating dirt capabilities over another...?

is the PH higher or lower to allow dirt to be easily removed .. higher /lower alkaline levels ? what gives? Scientifically speaking?

My best guess is that one soap gets a little bit more of XXXX and another soap gets less of XXXX and more of YYYY in its chemical makeup ....

Thx!

Re: a Megs car soaps "cleaning power" ... Mythbusters style!

fredcandetail,

I asked exactly the same questions some time ago when I was comparing soaps Meguiar's provides. I am not an expert in car detailing or chemistry...
    but the cleaning power of a soap is related to the chemicals inside that help emulsify dirt and grime...

If you read the MSDS of car wash, soap, or even detergents you use at home... they actually make use of a chemical called Diethanolamide (as one of the active ingredients):
    "They act as lubricant agent, thickening agent and wetting agent. Their very good emulsifying property also provides applications in the field of pharmaceuticals, agricultural preparations, and textile processing; rust inhibiting, latex stabilizing, anti-static function in textiles, dye-leveling, waterproofing and water-in-oil additives as well as very good emulsifying."
    http://www.chemicalland21.com/specia...HANOLAMINE.htm

Meguiar's Shampoo Plus contain a certain percentage of that.
    [I have seen S0NAX Shampoo to list Sodium Hydroxide as one of the 9 ingredients on their official web site, the presence of sodium hydroxide make me freak out... but thats another story.]

Besides, I found that some soap actually kind of "alter" the appearance of car body...
    I found that NXT car wash kind of leaves the paint looking very bright, while Gold Class might tend to darken the paint a bit in some lighting conditions. I have never scientifically proved it, but then this might give people an impression that NXT "cleans" better.

The above are based on my personal experience together with something that I googled some time ago. Comments and discussion on this is welcomed!
    Dennis
    Nissan Fuga | 日產 風雅 | 日産 フーガ

Comment

Originally posted by fredcandetail View Post
      .....someone will come out and say GC offers more lubricity and slickness but NXT just "cleans" better ....
      Someone with experience? [eg. Low back pain, and sore hands?]

Lots of good opinions on this forum, saved me from wasting a lot of hard work.

I can't find the post, but, somewhere on here it says: Decide your purpose then choose the best product.

So I look for posters who have suggestions dealing with my purpose. The good one's explain why it worked for them. For me its not a question for a judge (chemist) its a jury question for those in the profession. Usually I can get down to a few good choices.
      Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
      by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by Jossy92 View Post

So I look for posters who have suggestions dealing with my purpose. The good one's explain why it worked for them. For me its not a question for a judge (chemist) its a jury question for those in the profession. Usually I can get down to a few good choices.
        Jossy92, this is an excellent approach to the problem of so many different products. So many reviews are simply "product xx is simply the best"....well, why is it the best? In our detailing adventures, and in fact since I first started being serious about detailing my rides some 17-18yrs ago, I try to ask others that use product xx why they use it, why they like it or don't like it. This approach, however, still has much objectivity to it. A lot of it depends on the person's goals, skill level, etc, but it is a start. It's always a good idea to find someone who has had some success at detailing cars (or whatever endeavor you're talking about) and get their opinion/impression of the product. Speaking specifically of detailing, it's a good idea to look at the people who have some good rep points and consistent, positive posts. That doesn't mean that product xx is the best for you in your case but you will be armed with the best information that you can possibly get prior to spending your hard earned $$. Like Jossy92 said, look for posts that apply to what you're doing.
        If everything else fails, just go for the most expensive product, it's bound to be the best! (please read that with as much sarcasm that you can muster) Good luck!
        The power of the flex compells you!!!

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');