• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet sanding repaired paint chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet sanding repaired paint chip

OK...I put a gouge in the paint 1/2" by 1/4" on my 09 Yamaha Raider tank (ugh!), so I get the primer/color/clear from ColorRite and fix it, building up the color to just below the level of the surrounding paint, then a coupla coats of clear to overfill the chip. Now, I'm giving her 7 days to cure @ 70 F. Colorrite recommends 5 days minimum.
    Here's the question: I have the 2K grip block to level the repair, but somehow, it doesn't seem like it's going to be rough enough to get me close to level. Should I go with a 1500 until I'm almost level, then 2000 or should I just be patient and just put in the time with 2000 block. Thanks.

Re: Wet sanding repaired paint chip

If you already have a 2000 grit block, use that. It won't take that many more passes to correct/level the new paint than using the 1500 grit, remembering it's a very small area you're sanding.

I usually use 2000 grit for these kinds of repairs, and works fine for me.

Comment

+1

It should be a quick leveling.

I usually do it with my DA polisher as an electric sander and 3" Unigrit finishing disc.

Comment

Thanks for the answers! My repair cured for 3 days @70F (was supposed to cure for 5 days) , then my pellet stove died. Now I've got to rely on my oil heat and we have it set at 60 degrees, so I'm going to give it a week more before I sand. I want to get going but don't want to jump the gun.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');