• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OPM speed settings for the DA polisher?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OPM speed settings for the DA polisher?

IIRC
    RPM applies to a fixed single rotation direct drive rotary polisher.
    OPM applies to a Dual Action (DA) Polisher. A DA rotates and oscillates.

Merlin - A Miracle Detailing

YouTube - Facebook - - Instagram

Comment

Merlin: I'm well aware of that. What exactly does "OPM" mean? I ask again - is the OPM equivalent to the RPM of the motorised spindle? I.e - if a DA is spinning at a rate of 1000 OPM, does that mean that the motorised spindle is rotating at 1000 RPM? (leaving the free spinning spindle out of the discussion at the moment) "RPM" means "rotations per minute" and definitely can be used in the context of a DA, when referring to its motor, which turns a spindle on a fixed axis. (I know it is attached to an off centre backplate which is on a separate free spinning spindle, leaving forced rotation devices out at the moment).

Comment

Originally posted by me View Post
        Merlin: I'm well aware of that. What exactly does "OPM" mean? I ask again - is the OPM equivalent to the RPM of the motorised spindle? I.e - if a DA is spinning at a rate of 1000 OPM, does that mean that the motorised spindle is rotating at 1000 RPM? (leaving the free spinning spindle out of the discussion at the moment) "RPM" means "rotations per minute" and definitely can be used in the context of a DA, when referring to its motor, which turns a spindle on a fixed axis. (I know it is attached to an off centre backplate which is on a separate free spinning spindle, leaving forced rotation devices out at the moment).
        To answer my own question - YES - that is exactly what an "orbit" is. Quoting from https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...rformance.html
        If the machine's driveshaft is rotated once, the backing plate shaft will travel around the driveshaft axis once, creating a perfect circular pattern. This motion is referred to as an orbit. Machine manufacturers often refer to operating speeds using "Orbits Per Minute" or an "OPM" rating. Some manufacturers refer to operating speeds using a "Revolutions Per Minute" or "RPM" rating. This is completely accurate, but can cause confusion because this rating is sometimes thought of as referring to the backing plate's rotational speed. Since the backing plate rotates independently of the machine's driveshaft (and does so at a random rate), an RPM rating can be confusing.
        Now I'll move on to the "oscillation". I think it must simply be half of an orbit, though. Each half of the orbit is considered a "stroke" or an "oscillation", and that's why the oscillation rate for my machine is exactly twice the orbit/rpm rate.

Comment

Interestingly, Flex do NOT appear to be using the same definition for an "orbit" as Kevin Brown did in the aforementioned link. Look at the specs for their XFE 7-15:
          https://www.flex-tools.com/en/produc...-15-150-set-2/ (the link to standalone polisher is dead so I've linked to the kit)
          Orbit rate - no load: 2900 - 8600
          No load speed: 1500 - 4500 rpm

So, assuming that the "no load speed" refers to the speed at which the motor is spinning, Flex's "orbit" appears to be roughly the same as an "oscillation" in the specs for my machine. (which btw is a Bosch PEX 400 AE sander)
          It's interesting how the orbit rate is ALMOST but not quite double the RPM.

I have contacted Porter Cable to see how they define an "orbit" and shall be contacting Flex as well.

In Forensic Detailing Channel's review of the Flex, they show a table, comparing it to two other polishers. In that table, the Flex appears to be a standout with regards to OPM rate, however I suspect that Flex's RPM spec should have been used for comparison purposes, not it's OPM speed. Go to time 20:33 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uu3xBaTWRg&t=20m33s Elsewhere in that review, I recall them being a bit confused about the Flex's speed - it didn't SEEM to be as fast as the spec suggested. (sorry I can't remember where they made that comment)

EDIT: Actually this whole issue is being discussed in the comments under that video.

Comment

So what is the recommend speed for the Fles XFE? Around 3-4 is good enough for cutting?

Comment

Speed settings for the RUPES?

Comment

Originally posted by Gladiateur1974 View Post
                Speed settings for the RUPES?
                What is the question?
                The speed settings for the Rupes 15/21 are on the back of the handle.

Comment

Originally posted by bansalrehana
                  I'm well aware of that. What exactly does "OPM" mean?
                  Orbits Per Minute

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');