• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Brush Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Brush Off

Have never used a brush to wash my autos, partly because of not being aware they were available for that purpose. The idea of using a brush is very appealing especially if it eases the aggravation (and pain) of stooping to wash the lower areas. Went to Autopia and searched the forum archives. The ones who favor brushes tout the boars hair type (expensive). The majority seems to be against brushes because of alleged micromarring results.

Megs will be selling body wash brushes starting next month. Do the experts on this board believe that theirs will truly be safe for the body paint?

I'm not an expert by any means. I just don't see how plastic bristles with split ends will not cause marring. The brushes may not be plastic bristles at all but that's what it looks like to me. Please prove me wrong. I'd love to use a brush for my black Avalanche. Time and experience with the new products will tell.

Comment

So far I have used the new body brush on about 6-7 cars and it has performed very well. I used iton a maroon yukon xl that was very dirty on friday and no probles at this point,it seems to live up to the no swirling hype.
      "Washing for the People"

Comment

Well, there has been a lot of talk about the new brushes lately. To be honest, I've tried some very expensive Boar's Hair brushes on paint with mixed results. So, I'm VERY leery about trying a man-made brush on paint.

My advice would be the following (and what I will do). Try one of the brushes on an inconspicuous spot. Then, check out that area very closely.......... preferably with maginfication and proper lighting............. and come to your own conclusions.

If nothing else, you'll still be able to use the brush on the "grungy" areas of your vehicles without any impact to the paint finish.
        Boss_429

Comment

It is possible to make a brush that doesn't scratch the paint. But in the past they have been very difficult to find. Brookstone used to sell one several years ago, it was made of boar's hair. I used one until it was worn out. I bought another one but it was not the same and did leave some swirls on the paint. They must have changed suppliers or the supplier changed materials.

I trust Meguairs is capable of making a brush that won't scratch the paint. Modern technology can make this possible. Remember how everyone said not to use anything but 100% cotton towels, and that anything with synthetics in it would scratch the paint? Well high quality microfiber towels, most of which are synthetic, changed all of that. The same thing can happen with car wash brushes.

Initial reviews of the accessory brushes have been very good, and that gives us good reason to expect scratch free brushes.

Now if anyone has a very soft clearcoat that scratches easily, it wouldn't be a bad idea to test it on a small inconspicuous area like Boss_429 recommends.

I can't wait to try these brushes!

RamAirV1
          Last edited by RamAirV1; Feb 19, 2005, 08:04 PM.
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Interesting enough the interior brush is one of my favorites to clean panels with. The brush itself has very stiff bristles and I wonder how it doen't scratch softer materials but it doesn't! I use it on the leather portion as well as the vinyl, console etc, no problems.

I am really looking forward to getting the Ultra Plush wash mop with the telescopic handle.
            "Washing for the People"

Comment

I recently tried the standard size Versa Angle Body Brush. It worked very well and zero swirls on my GTO! I really wanted the Wide Body Brush but Pep Boys did not have it.

I just noticed the Ultra Plush Wash mop and that one looks really interesting. I may order one of those and the wide brush direct.

RamAirV1
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

The wide body brush is AWSOME! Having one is well well worth it. And they're only $15.
                Later,
                Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
                Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

$15 is not a bad price for those. I didn't see it in the list of available accessories in the online store.

RamAirV1
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I was able to use the wide angle brush for the first time tonight. I thought the brush was GREAT!!!!. Did a really nice job on the wifes explorer. The only thing I wish was different was a longer handle,other than that it worked GREAT!!!!! Looking forward to trying the Ultra Plush Wash Mop!!!

Comment

Has anyone seen these brushes show up at their local auto parts stores yet? I have checked all mine that carry Meguiars stuff and no luck. I was hoping Walmart would start to carry some of it but I doubt it.

Kevin

Comment

Pep Boys had the regular size Versa Angle Body Brush and the Wheel Face Brush, along with the Even Coat Applicators. No accessories to be found anywhere else at all.

RamAirV1
                        2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I can't believe Wal-Mart has gotten alot of product in, I think Wal-Mart has really fallen behind the times with their automotive section.
                          "Washing for the People"

Comment

I still haven't seen much of anything here. The local stores *might* have paste NXT and interior quik detailer, but that's it. Heck, the Meguiar's guy I use hasn'te even been able to get much of anything in.
                            Later,
                            Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
                            Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1
                              Pep Boys had the regular size Versa Angle Body Brush and the Wheel Face Brush, along with the Even Coat Applicators. No accessories to be found anywhere else at all.

RamAirV1
                              Depending on which Pep Boys I choose, I can also find the All Surface Interior Brush, the WW drying towel, the cotton towels and the regular MF towels.
                              Quadruple Honda Owner
                              Black cars are easy!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');