• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New freshly painted hood installed, care precautions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New freshly painted hood installed, care precautions??

I just got my Mustang back from getting a new fiberglass Ram Air Hood installed. The hood came unpainted so the body shop prepped it, painted it and clearcoated it. What precautions do I need to take with it? How long should I wait to wash it? Wax it? Use a DA on it? Etc.

I just want to make sure I don't mess up the finish, if it needs any kind of curing time or something.

Here's the hood.

Re: New freshly painted hood installed, care precautions??

I had bodywork done to the fender on my wife's car a few weeks ago. Their care instructions in the paperwork said to only handwash for the first 30 days (as if I'd take it through a car wash at all) and to not polish or wax / seal for the first 90 days while the paint and clear coat finish curing.

Comment

Thanks, sorry about the double post too. I didn't notice I had to have a mod approve my posts. =/

Comment

boiler is right you will want to wait 60 to 90 days for the pain to out gas, you can wash it with a car wash that has no wax in it and use a pure polish to keep the paint looking new till then.
        That's a good looking hood by the way.
        2008 Mazda CX-9 (WIFE'S)
        1995 Ford F150 XLT (MINE)
        1995 Honda Accord LX (TOTALED)
        1962 Lincoln Continental (SOLD)
        1965 Ford Mustang (NEW PROJECT)

Comment

Thanks =)

Comment

Great looking hood on your Mustang.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');