Do Glazes/Fillers affect the bonding of NXT? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Glazes/Fillers affect the bonding of NXT?

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar

Re: Do Glazes/Fillers affect the bonding of NXT?

***Bump***

TTT = To the top

Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

This is a very interesting thread. I've learnt something important!
    Paul Marmarinos
    Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
    "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

This is a interesting topic for me, though I have no scientific training whatsoever. But one thing is clear to me after reading dozens of internet forum articles addressing the question "Does a traditional glaze (or pure polish) inhibit the ability of a synthetic sealant to bond to the paint surface?"--most folks who write on this topic do not have scientific backgrounds either, and they don't know any more about this subject than I do. They may write with a pretended authority, but they don't truly know what they are talking about.

I have emailed a couple of the companies that make synthetic sealants and asked them if I could apply their product on top of M07 without affecting the durability of the sealant. One told me that I could--no problem (Blackfire). Two told me that I should not (Wolfgang and Duragloss). This confirms Mike's statement above that this question really is product-dependent and thus defies grand generalizations.

I wish the internet wax-pundits would stop pontificating as if they have advanced degrees in chemistry and physics. I hate flame wars and so try to avoid internet confrontations; but I have enough experience with the scholarly universe to know that unsubstantiated knowledge-claims, no matter how authoritatively and dogmatically advanced, are simply opinions; and as jazz musician Art Blakey amusingly remarked, "Opinions are like ***holes--everyone's got one."

When someone makes a scientific claim about waxes and sealants, I want to know the following: (1) Do you have an advanced degree in chemistry? (2) Is your claim backed by testing and evidence that would be accepted by accredited scientists? (3) What are your sources? Anyone can master the jargon of a particular discipline and present themselves as an authority. The internet is full of pseudo-scientists and false prophets.

So if you want to know if a particular synthetic sealant is compatible with a particular glaze or polish, you need to ask the manufacturer directly. They are the only ones who know the chemical composition of their products and know how their products interact with other products.

Cheers,
    Al

Mike Phillips

First time I've ever seen this topic and I'm glad you bumped it. Great info. Very informative.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Mike Phillips

This topic cleared up some confusion regarding polishes to me as well. I still have other questions on polishes but I'll read more in the other topics first. Thanks!

I have always wondered about this but accepted the fact that Megs worked as a system and assumed it was OK. I used #7 followed by #16 way back when I first got started and my cars always looked great. This however, explains how it works.

Thanks much for this.
    2007 Toyota Yaris
    2001 Volvo S60 T5
    1981 Volvo GLT Turbo

I will this one
    2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
    2005 Honda CRF250R
    2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Quote:
    A wax, (natural or synthetic), is a substance that when applied to a surface will not adhere properly on its own. Thus, it is necessary to add specialized miscible oils to allow the waxy material to spread and adhere evenly to the surface. These oils along with polymers are responsible for improving the functionality of the wax protection, appearance, adherence and the overall application.

This means the addition of any Meguiar's polishes prior to the wax application will not only enhance the paint finish, but also aid in the appearance, adherence and overall lasting ability of the wax which is applied over the top of it.

I recall threads by experienced detailers talking in terms of "reasonably" removing swirls. What do you do with the remaining swirls? Seems like a polish=filler(?) would be the next step in leveling the paint and aid in achieving the thinnest possible application of wax.

Also, I have read that as clear coats age they become more porous, so rather than filling the pores with sealant/wax wouldn't I want to use a polish with fillers to help the wax adhere and penetrate the pores with the thinnest film (to reduce white residue)?

Does porous clear coat encourage embedded contaminants?

I am not sure, but some hi-end polishes (Megs) must include fillers for a reason, while low to mid range manufacturers "knock" fillers without suggesting an alternative except to keep removing a built in sacrificial layer. Is a defect that doesn't penetrate to the paint proof that the clearcoat is thick enough to do it's job? Why remove it just to remove it?

How would an experienced pro use a filler and when. I have seen the hint of answer when I read about classic cars with fragile paint. But it seems so called fillers have a place before it's too late. When do you quit correcting and start preserving.

I am not complaining just very confused. but it sure is easier to complain than to keep hitting the "search" button...
    Last edited by Jossy92; Aug 18th, 2009 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Had to hit "save" before getting bumped offline.
    Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
    by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information