• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Glazes/Fillers affect the bonding of NXT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do Glazes/Fillers affect the bonding of NXT?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

This topic cleared up some confusion regarding polishes to me as well. I still have other questions on polishes but I'll read more in the other topics first. Thanks!

Comment

I have always wondered about this but accepted the fact that Megs worked as a system and assumed it was OK. I used #7 followed by #16 way back when I first got started and my cars always looked great. This however, explains how it works.

Thanks much for this.
        2007 Toyota Yaris
        2001 Volvo S60 T5
        1981 Volvo GLT Turbo

Comment

I will this one
          2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
          2005 Honda CRF250R
          2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Quote:
            A wax, (natural or synthetic), is a substance that when applied to a surface will not adhere properly on its own. Thus, it is necessary to add specialized miscible oils to allow the waxy material to spread and adhere evenly to the surface. These oils along with polymers are responsible for improving the functionality of the wax protection, appearance, adherence and the overall application.

This means the addition of any Meguiar's polishes prior to the wax application will not only enhance the paint finish, but also aid in the appearance, adherence and overall lasting ability of the wax which is applied over the top of it.

I recall threads by experienced detailers talking in terms of "reasonably" removing swirls. What do you do with the remaining swirls? Seems like a polish=filler(?) would be the next step in leveling the paint and aid in achieving the thinnest possible application of wax.

Also, I have read that as clear coats age they become more porous, so rather than filling the pores with sealant/wax wouldn't I want to use a polish with fillers to help the wax adhere and penetrate the pores with the thinnest film (to reduce white residue)?

Does porous clear coat encourage embedded contaminants?

I am not sure, but some hi-end polishes (Megs) must include fillers for a reason, while low to mid range manufacturers "knock" fillers without suggesting an alternative except to keep removing a built in sacrificial layer. Is a defect that doesn't penetrate to the paint proof that the clearcoat is thick enough to do it's job? Why remove it just to remove it?

How would an experienced pro use a filler and when. I have seen the hint of answer when I read about classic cars with fragile paint. But it seems so called fillers have a place before it's too late. When do you quit correcting and start preserving.

I am not complaining just very confused. but it sure is easier to complain than to keep hitting the "search" button...
            Last edited by Jossy92; Aug 18, 2009, 07:01 AM. Reason: Had to hit "save" before getting bumped offline.
            Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
            by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

I would say these polishes/glazes help improve the bonding of a Meguiars wax or sealant. These also ad to the look thats why I choose to use a combo glaze/cleaner before applying sealant.

BTW: Can I apply Swirl free polish by hand knowing i won't be cleaning it will be more for the effect of the polish as for the pop it provides.

regards mongo

Comment

Originally posted by mongo View Post

BTW: Can I apply Swirl free polish by hand knowing i won't be cleaning it will be more for the effect of the polish as for the pop it provides.

regards mongo

Yes.

#9 Hi-Tech Swirl Remover is a great light or fine cut polish for light cleaning by hand that will at the same time restore a clear, high gloss shine perfect for sealing with your favorite wax or sealant.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');