• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd Ultimate Polish issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Ultimate Polish issue...

Working on a fiberglass cowl induction hood on the wife's 454SS pickup. I have other pictures in the extreme makeover section to show what a mess I started with.

My issue with UP is that it seemed to leave a haze on the paint but not a marring haze. It's like the polish dried on and can't be wiped off with a microfiber, I could run my finger across it and it came off that way. I applied UP with my DA and a polishing pad on speed 4 then went over it with a finishing pad on speed 3 and both ways it left the haze.
    I was able to get the haze off by using quick detailer and a microfiber towel.
    I took some pics of what happened:
    You can still see the DA pad marks after the UP was wiped off:

you can clearly see where I swiped my finger across the paint after the UP was wiped off:

I then went over the hood with Meg's Cleaner wax with the DA and it came out pretty nice:
    Joel
    1976 Cutlass S
    2001 PT Cruiser
    1990 454SS
    Suburban

Re: Odd Ultimate Polish issue...

How long were you working the product for?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
      How long were you working the product for?
      With the yellow pad I went over each section for a minute or two then wiped off. The UP was still wet when I was wiping it off.
      With the black pad I basically just spread the UP on each section then wiped it off.
      Joel
      1976 Cutlass S
      2001 PT Cruiser
      1990 454SS
      Suburban

Comment

Did you have any problems wiping the UC or SwirlX off in the steps you did before UP?

Did you clay before beginning using UC?

Does the panel feel smooth if you run your palm over it?

The reason I ask is because in the second pic you've posted here (and I realise UP was still clinging to the panel in the pic) it looks like the panel has a few irregularities. To me, the panel looks like there are still some embedded particles.

Even with using a DA and UC there can still be particles embedded in the paint that aren't removed just by compounding or polishing. This then causes product to stick to the panel like you're seeing here.

I haven't used UP, but love it's sister M205. M205 wipes off with zero effort on the many types of paints I have used it on, so I can only assume UP should be just as easy to remove, if not easier based on comments I have read from users.

Comment

Originally posted by Selectchoice View Post
          Did you have any problems wiping the UC or SwirlX off in the steps you did before UP?
          No issues wiping off the UC once I got the bulk of the gunk off the paint and then the UC and SX wiped off easily.

Did you clay before beginning using UC?
          Yes the paint was clayed before starting with the UC

Does the panel feel smooth if you run your palm over it?
          Yes like a baby's bottom!

The reason I ask is because in the second pic you've posted here (and I realise UP was still clinging to the panel in the pic) it looks like the panel has a few irregularities. To me, the panel looks like there are still some embedded particles.

I'm sure there is still some stuff in the paint, but if your referring to the white dots in the pic, I think that's just dust on the paint or in the air.

Even with using a DA and UC there can still be particles embedded in the paint that aren't removed just by compounding or polishing. This then causes product to stick to the panel like you're seeing here.

I haven't used UP, but love it's sister M205. M205 wipes off with zero effort on the many types of paints I have used it on, so I can only assume UP should be just as easy to remove, if not easier based on comments I have read from users.
          I was surprised by what the UP was doing after reading so many good things here. It may just be the paint on the hood that is the problem. I have yet do do any other panel on the truck so I'll see how it goes on them.

Thanks for the help.
          Joel
          1976 Cutlass S
          2001 PT Cruiser
          1990 454SS
          Suburban

Comment

I worked on the truck for a bit today, I did a fender and door. I started with the UC and about 4 passes, removed 90-95% of the swirls. I then went over the two panels with a yellow pad at speed 4 and the UP and it worked quite well! It wiped of very easily and left no haze behind like on the hood. So I think the problems before are that the paint on the hood just doesn't like the UP for some reason... The hood, fender and door all have been repainted but at different times. I will post some pics in the next day or so.
            Joel
            1976 Cutlass S
            2001 PT Cruiser
            1990 454SS
            Suburban

Comment

You may be onto something with it just being the hood's paint.

What is the weather like that you are working in?

Could be the combo of weather with the hood's paint. Perhaps if it is cold, it isn't working properly with that paint, and it could work better on that paint when it gets warmer.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
              Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

The truck has been in the garage and the temps in there when I tried out the UP was about 60-65 degrees. Today temps were about 75 or so in the garage...
                Joel
                1976 Cutlass S
                2001 PT Cruiser
                1990 454SS
                Suburban

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');