• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Polish Review!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Polish Review!!

Here we go! I have wanted to try this product for some time now as it really looked interesting. It did not disappoint!

My original plan was to apply Ultimate Polish with both a polishing pad and finishing pad on my G110v2 but it broke the other day while using the DA Microfiber Correction System. The new system was just too much for it.....

Anyway, I decided to apply the Ultimate Polish by hand instead using both the basic foam applicators and 4"polishing pads via Meguiars hand pad (you will see in the video).

I used the trunk lid of my 2010 Black Pearl Honda Civic since it was black. I split the trunk lid into 3 sections and compared Ultimate Polish to Swirlx and M205.

Findings
    Swirlx, when applied via basic Meguiars yellow foam applicator actually hazed the paint slightly. I used proper technique (hold the pad with the length of your fingers instead of only your fingertips) but it still left a very slight haze. It removed very few swirls and darkened the paint but, as I said before, hazed it slightly. It was a brand new bottle so I am not sure why it acted in such a way.

Ultimate Polish applied effortlessly to the finish, was very smooth and had the perfect consistency. Unlike Swirlx, it pours from the bottle easily and provides an application and removal like butter. I did not notice any discernible smell which I liked. Upon removal of the tape from the trunk lid I found that Ultimate Polish darkened the paint a bit more than Swirlx and M205. I didn't expect to be able to see a noticeable difference between the other two polishes and Ultimate Polish with regards to paint darkening but I did. This is most likley due to the increased amount of polishing oils in Ultimate Polish in comparison to M205 or Swirlx.

M205 applied basically the same as Ultimate Polish except it did not darken the paint as much.

For people unfamiliar with this "darkening" effect...........Remember, when I say "darken" the paint, I mean it brought out the blackest black of the paint. This is what you want in a polish. It is supposed to make the color of your car as true to that color as possible. For example, a black car that has been neglected can look almost grayish at times and a good polish will "darken" the paint and make it black again. This is due to the polishing oils and the removal or lessening of swirls in the finish.

Overall, I find Ultimate Polish to be a phenomenal product put in a line full of great products. This will definitely be a staple in my collection as it is easily found, well-priced and performs incredibly.

On to the videos!!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Thanks for reading! Questions?

By the way, anybody know how to embed videos?
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Re: Ultimate Polish Review!!

Tried embedding but it didn't work......
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698

Comment

Very nice vid man. I may be dumb for asking this but for removal of swirls could I use just the Ultimate Polish or do SwirlX/Ultimate Compound and themuse Ultimate Polish?
      -Sohc-

Comment

nice job!
        Joel
        1976 Cutlass S
        2001 PT Cruiser
        1990 454SS
        Suburban

Comment

Thanks Shawn for the review and videos. Too bad your buffer went south on you during spring break!

Originally posted by Chubbz91 View Post
          Very nice vid man. I may be dumb for asking this but for removal of swirls could I use just the Ultimate Polish or do SwirlX/Ultimate Compound and themuse Ultimate Polish?

Not dumb, but we'd need more information. Such as are you working by hand or how bad are the swirls or are there scratches is your paint hard or soft.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          David

Comment

All by hand the swirls are moderate to bad. Not so many scratches. I believe my paint is soft
            -Sohc-

Comment

Thanks guys!

Try a test spot and see what happens. Use a piece of tape and on one side use Ultimate Polish and on the other side use Ultimate Compound. Go from there.
              Tedrow's Detailing
              845-642-1698

Comment

Good tip Shawn I will have to try that
                -Sohc-

Comment

Hey Shawn, thanks for the review. I was just looking for this exactly comparison!
                  After seeing the vids I noticed you saying that although the paint gained a lot of gloss there was not much "correction" of the swirls. Care on extending that ?

Thanks one more time!

Comment

I can only imagine that UP wouldn't provide optimum reduction of swirls as it is a polish. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I might reduce it, but not rid them.

Comment

Nice videos Shawn! The 4 inch polishing pads probably worked better because they are polishing pads, where as the hand pad is more of the consistency of a finishing pad, so the 4 inch polishing pads provide more cut.

Thanks for the great videos!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Tafner View Post
                        Hey Shawn, thanks for the review. I was just looking for this exactly comparison!
                        After seeing the vids I noticed you saying that although the paint gained a lot of gloss there was not much "correction" of the swirls. Care on extending that ?

Thanks one more time!
                        The paint was darkened significantly with Ultimate Polish and the paint gained a lot of clarity. This was despite the fact that a vast majority of the original swirls were still in the paint after the application.

I think Ultimate Polish knoecked the hard edges off many of the swirls which caused increased gloss and clarity and then added rich polishing oils to the surface which helped more.

Does that help?
                        Tedrow's Detailing
                        845-642-1698

Comment

Does the Ultimate Polish have fillers in it?

Comment

Great review, Shawn, and very nice videos.

You compared side by side three very popular products: SwirlX, Ultimate Polish and M205. That hand pad holder looks like a very good choice for even hand application.

You improved the swirls big time. At the beginning they were very visible.

I'll give UP the first ride soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Troy Fuller View Post
                              Does the Ultimate Polish have fillers in it?
                              As far as I could tell, this product was not designed with the intent to fill by any means. Does it have polishing oils? Yes. Does it darken the paint? Yes. Does it fill? I could not say that it filled since I could see almost all of the swirls that were there before the application after 2 passes with the Ultimate Polish. However, clarity and richness was added to the paint.

Ultimate Wax on the other hand does a great job of hiding light swirls.
                              Tedrow's Detailing
                              845-642-1698

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');