• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Polish Review!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ultimate Polish Review!!

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
    Great review, Shawn, and very nice videos.

You compared side by side three very popular products: SwirlX, Ultimate Polish and M205. That hand pad holder looks like a very good choice for even hand application.

You improved the swirls big time. At the beginning they were very visible.

I'll give UP the first ride soon.
    Thanks Greg!

UP has, I would say, just about the same cut as M205 but slightly less than Swirlx.

Many, including Mike Stoops, have said that UP has less cut than M205 but I found them to be very similar if not exactly the same in cut. If there is a difference, it must be only slight.

Another thing I noticed is that UP has a smoother application than both M205 and Swirlx.
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Great review Shawn! Thanks for taking the time to do that.
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I'm facing a similar issue on a black '99 Cherokee. The hood is swirled from a detailing done at a dealer. There are no scratches but the swirls are easily seen. I just bought some SwirlX but not sure what to do now as far as the hazing & minor removal of the swirls in the video. I have clay, the SwirlX, deep crystal paint cleaner (step 1), cleaner wax, #7 glaze & #26 yellow wax available; I'll be working by hand.

So Shawn, did the hazing come out with an application of UP afterward? Given what I have available, would you suggest still using the SwirlX then following up with UP or maybe using some of the other stuff I have? Don't wanna put you on the spot, & I'll do some test spots first, but if I need to buy some other stuff like UP I'd like to have it on hand before I tackle the job. You other guys can chime in too with your opinions. Thanks.

Comment

I have had this problem ONLY with Swirlx only on my 2010 Black Honda Civic. I think that is because the paint is just ridiculously soft.

I would say that Swirlx will do a fine job of tackling light swirls on your car. However, you may want to pick up some Ultimate Compound as the swirls may be too much for Swirlx to handle.

I assume you will be working by hand.

Whatever is your first step, whether it be Swirlx or Ultimate Compound, I highly recommend following up with Ultimate Polish. It really adds richcolor, gloss and clarity to the finish.

Are you working by hand?
          Tedrow's Detailing
          845-642-1698

Comment

Yes, working by hand; not sure how soft/hard the paint is on this Cherokee. I'll get some UP before I start. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

No problem! If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.
              Tedrow's Detailing
              845-642-1698

Comment

That's the first time I've ever heard of SwirlX hazing anything. I thought it was way too mild for that.

Still - as you say - your paint is very soft, so I guess anything is possible...
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn T. View Post
                  The paint was darkened significantly with Ultimate Polish and the paint gained a lot of clarity. This was despite the fact that a vast majority of the original swirls were still in the paint after the application.

I think Ultimate Polish knoecked the hard edges off many of the swirls which caused increased gloss and clarity and then added rich polishing oils to the surface which helped more.

Does that help?
                  Sure! Thanks a lot!

Comment

Anybody knows how would it compare to M80 ?

Comment

It is totally different technology than M80. M80 uses DAT (Diminishing Abrasive Technology) while Ultimate Polish uses SMAT (Super Micro Abrasive Technology).

It would be a much better comparison to compare Ultimate Polish to M205 as they are derived from the same technology. The difference is that Ultimate Polish has much more polishing oils than M205.

M80 will not leave as glossy or clear of a finish in my honest opinion.
                      Tedrow's Detailing
                      845-642-1698

Comment

Thanks Shawn, that's good to know.

Do you think M205 can be applied by hand with relative ease ?

Comment

M205 can definitely be applied by hand easily. I find Ultimate Polish to apply even easier but M205 works very nicely by hand. It's good for acting as a light paint cleaner when you use it by hand. There really is not much in terms of correction when using it by hand. But, by all means, go ahead and do it!
                          Tedrow's Detailing
                          845-642-1698

Comment

Not much correction but a lot of gloss, right ? (not as much as UP)
                            Think I'll give it a try.
                            Thanks!

Comment

If I remember right swirlx is made to remove minor swirls an defects it has cutting power. Not quite as much a ultimate compound it is the least agressive of the two. Swirlx is not advertised as a polish so comparing swirlx and ultimate polish side by side is not a true comparison . I believe you are to use the swirlx first to remove minor swirls and defects and then apply the ultimate polish as a next step to polish and bring out the color in the car. Which then is followed by a wax or sealant. So if you were to look at the order of things. Swirlx or Ultimate compound (which ever is needed for you paint condition) then Ultimate polish and finished with Ultimate wax.

Comment

Originally posted by kristina27 View Post
                                If I remember right swirlx is made to remove minor swirls an defects it has cutting power. Not quite as much a ultimate compound it is the least agressive of the two. Swirlx is not advertised as a polish so comparing swirlx and ultimate polish side by side is not a true comparison . I believe you are to use the swirlx first to remove minor swirls and defects and then apply the ultimate polish as a next step to polish and bring out the color in the car. Which then is followed by a wax or sealant. So if you were to look at the order of things. Swirlx or Ultimate compound (which ever is needed for you paint condition) then Ultimate polish and finished with Ultimate wax.
                                PS Swirlx and Ultimate compound fall under the painter cleaner categories. They prepare the painter for polishing (Ultimate Polish) and then waxing

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');