• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this be the correct procedures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be the correct procedures?

I just found two rock chip that's about the size of half my pinky nail. I want to get this fixed as soon as possible. I've done some research and know what this repair involves, but I would like a confirmation on my steps/procedures.

1) Apply touch-up paint to the rock chip
    2) Let it cure for few hours
    3) Wetsand with 3000 grit (pre-soaked in soapy water overnight), until it is level with it's surrounding
    4) Clean up area, and apply clear coat, wait till it cures
    5) Wetsand with 3000 grit until it is level
    6) Polish with M105

Here's my question, the 2nd time I am wetsanding, wouldn't that take off even more clear coat in the surrounding? Or would it be better to apply the clear coat right after the touch-up paint has cured?

Cheers

Re: Would this be the correct procedures?

What I've done in the past is apply the base coat, let it dry, then apply the clear coat and wet sand the clear coat. I never wet sanded the base coat because it went on flat and looked good. The base coat was below the level of the surrounding paint. It was the clear coat that leveled out to the surrounding paint.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

I am assuming it is recommended that I detail the vehicle after I have completed my wetsanding

Comment

Well, you will want to keep away from detailing (waxing) the touch-up paint for the 60-90 days.

You could detail the car first, and then use a good pre-cleaner/sanding to get wax and oils out of the chips.

Doesnt really matter, as long as the chip is clean, and then the paint is left to cure.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I usually would first clean with a wax and grease remover first,scuff the area around the chip(not too big an area though) scuff the inside of the chip lightly with a Nicsand pen or fiberglass pen to give the touch up paint some bite,apply the base sparingly,let it dry and then apply the clear,but dont try blobbing too much clear at once,let it build and let it dry ,then sand wet,but use a block slowly and check your work constantly.then polish by hand.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');