• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ink on Leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ink on Leather

Great website and forum. I just recently found MOL and love it. I am amazed at what I have learned. Where have you been all my life MOL?

My problem is, my wife Tahoe has an ink mark on the back of one of the tan leather seats. I recently cleaned and conditioned the leather seats with GC Leather Cleaner and Conditioner spray. Love this stuff, the smell is awesome and it seemed to do a pretty good job on the seats. However, the ink didn't budge. Any suggestions?

Thanks for an awesome website and forum.

RockyTop

The problem with ink on leather is that it's more than likely ink in leather as the dyes in the ink will tend to penetrate and stain into the leather itself.

Off hand I'm not sure what the best product or method would be to remove the out of leather.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike. Luckily it is very small ink mark (about 1/8"). So it is not real noticable. Bottom line is it's not supposed to be there and I want it out.

I would like to compliment you on your knowledge and experience. I have learned alot from you and other members of this forum.

By the way, I think I seen somewhere on this forum that you really liked the old APC from the detailer line of products. I hit jackpot this weekend by finding a local Auto Paint Store that carriers almost everything in the consumer line, professional line, and the detailer line. This store had alot old of discontinued (I guess) products from the detailer line. I noticed APC, Engine Coat, and some other products with older type labels. Do you recommend any of the products from the "old detailer line" or are the new products just as good if not better? The funny thing is this store is not even listed on the dealer locator. I am new to the Meguiars line and know very little. So far though I haven't tried any megs products I didn't like.

Thanks

Comment

As mikeP suggests the ink is now 'in' the leather as opposed to on it

Ink stains
        Some ballpoint ink stains can be sponged clean using 303TM Cleaner & Spot Remover. If this doesn't completely remove the stain, the other alternative is to use Isopropyl alcohol (or a hairspray in an emergency) Townsend Leatherâ„¢ Ink & Stain Remover will removes ink, lipstick, heel scuffs and other difficult stains from finished leather.
        JonM
        ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

I am open to recommendations on the old detailer line from all members...not just Mike.

Thanks

Comment

Rubbing alchol works well, I prefer witchhazel though. It tends to be less harsh. You can find it near rubbing alcohol in any CVS, Walgreens, WalMart, or such stores.

If a few tries of that doesn't work, I'd be tempted to say it's a lost cause.

Someone else might have an idea which works, though!
            "Son, crying in your milk is bad enough; crying in your hot fudge sundae is just disgusting."
            R.A. Heinlein

Comment

I've been a clothing detailer (dry cleaner) and ink that's embedded is tuff and odds are you will cause more damage to the leather than you will fix it. Consider that putting a solvent on the ink may dissolved just enough to take your 1/8" ink spot and make it 1" but a slightly lighter shade. Then consider that any solvent strong enough to remove permanent ink will likely remove the dye on the leather so the 1" stain will have also have a white halo. This will give the illusion that you tried your best.

My only recomendation is to blot it out as much as possible so it doesn't get on someones clothes and ignore it. If ignoring it doesn't work for you, consider finding a leather shop that can dye over the spot. Once leather gets old and wrinkled and cracked, there are leather interior shops that can scrape way the scratches and wrinkles, fill them and re-dye the seats. I've seem work one of my neighbors had done and it's amazing.

Comment

Sounds like it may be a lost cause. The term, "It gives it character" comes to mind. Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

Hey,

Just to comment on the discontinued Detailer series of products. I really LOVED the APC+ , Final Detail, and the Engine Kote.

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks Tim,

On the APC+, are there any particular applications that you favored........ie: carpet, tires, etc.......or just all around use? I currently use EXTRA All Surface Cleaner. How does APC+ compare to EXTRA?

Kevin

Comment

I am interested in learning to do leather repair, and was wondering how long did they claim this would last before it faded or the filler came out. Do they give a certain warranty are the dyes fairly long lasting.

As I hear mixed reports on interior leather repair and fabric repair, I know it wont last as long as the oringinal but youi don't want to offer the service and the customer is back 3 months later because it looks the same.
                      Anyway was just wondering if you know alot about it, any info would be good.

thanks Matt

Once leather gets old and wrinkled and cracked, there are leather interior shops that can scrape way the scratches and wrinkles, fill them and re-dye the seats. I've seem work one of my neighbors had done and it's amazing. [/QUOTE] [/B]
                      Sometimes the facts are just other peoples opinions....! ha!

Comment

Has anyone used the Townsend Leather Ink and Stain Remover?

They want $18.00 to ship 1/2 ounce (cost of product is $8.00).

Thanks,

damon swank

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');