• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else having durability issues with Ultimate Wax liquid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else having durability issues with Ultimate Wax liquid?

Applied Ultimate liquid wax a week ago via DA and 9006 pad on speed 3. We had a bunch of wind and rain today, first time it has rained since I applied the wax. I have ZERO beading on the hood. I noticed this tonight when I was going to the gym.

Anyone else having issues with durability? Looks like I'll be going back to #16.

Here are a few pics:

/Keith
    2001 LT Tahoe | Hybrid Wheels - Depo Headlights with DDM HID's (55w @ 4.5k) - Clear Corners - Sonar LED Tail Lights (Red Smoked)

www.LakeMeadOnline.com

Re: Anyone else having durability issues with Ultimate Wax liquid?

Did you first prep the surface with clay? Did you allow it to haze?

Whhat was your process?
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

It shouldn't be like that.

As Shawn pointed we'd love to hear about preparation and application process.

Comment

Yeah, I had the same problem. My prep was:

Wash with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash
        Clay with Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and DP clay lube
        Wash again with CG Citrus Wash
        Glaze with Ultimate Polish
        Wax with Ultimate Liquid Wax
        Allow to sit for 15-30 minutes (can't remember exactly how much time I let it sit for), remove

Doesn't seem to last very long, even with boosters. Which reminds me why I stopped using Meguiar's waxes and sealants and moved on to other options. Disappointing, really.
        Shane
        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post
          Yeah, I had the same problem. My prep was:

Wash with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash
          Clay with Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and DP clay lube
          Wash again with CG Citrus Wash
          Glaze with Ultimate Polish
          Wax with Ultimate Liquid Wax
          Allow to sit for 15-30 minutes (can't remember exactly how much time I let it sit for), remove

Doesn't seem to last very long, even with boosters. Which reminds me why I stopped using Meguiar's waxes and sealants and moved on to other options. Disappointing, really.
          I find your results and kman's very strange. l I have both these new megs products to try. Ulitmate Polish/Ultimate Wax.

I have been using Ultimate Quick Wax and Ultimate Speed Detailer and both these products bead lovely

Comment

My car has been left at home since I went back up to college yesterday. I applied some UW over my break. We'll see how it's holding up when I get back in May. Won't be touched until then.
            Tedrow's Detailing
            845-642-1698
            Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Full write up on my detail can before here:
              We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

I applied a second coat a little over a week later.
              /Keith
              2001 LT Tahoe | Hybrid Wheels - Depo Headlights with DDM HID's (55w @ 4.5k) - Clear Corners - Sonar LED Tail Lights (Red Smoked)

www.LakeMeadOnline.com

Comment

Did you apply and remove the UW in the same way on the entire vehicle as you did on the hood?

If so, it doesn't make any sense that you are dealing with a UW durability issue... the rest of your vehicle is beading. Right?

It wouldn't make sense to blame the wax's durability if only one isolated section of the car is behaving in that manner, as that would lead me to believe there is something going on on that panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                  Did you apply and remove the UW in the same way on the entire vehicle as you did on the hood?

If so, it doesn't make any sense that you are dealing with a UW durability issue... the rest of your vehicle is beading. Right?

It wouldn't make sense to blame the wax's durability if only one isolated section of the car is behaving in that manner, as that would lead me to believe there is something going on on that panel.
                  The roof is the same way as the hood.

After I detailed the car a few weeks ago it rained the following day. The beading was awesome. I put a new coat on a week ago and the beading is sub-par. I also noticed the water sticks to the windows on the right side of the vehicle. I felt the windows with my index finger and it's greasy and waxy like UW.

I have some Ultimate Quik Wax I've never opened. Maybe I should apply that before the next rain?
                  /Keith

www.LakeMeadOnline.com

Comment

keep us posted on whats going on

Comment

I just pressure washed my car about a week after applying two coats correctly. I was a little dismayed to see little tiny beads instead of a larger ones that would roll off like I'm used to.

I did it all correctly, just not sure why the tiny beads that just sit there?
                      2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal White Pearl

Comment

Originally posted by Pital View Post
                        keep us posted on whats going on
                        I washed the car a few days ago with Ultimate Wash & Wax. Applied #16 to the whole vehicle. Everything looked fine. Beading was good, etc. The following day I noticed the whole right side of the car was not beading. There was a filmy residue on the the right side of the windshield, and every window on the right side of the vehicle. Washed the car two days ago with Gold Class and clay barred the right side of the vehicle. Re-applied #16 to the ride side.

The film was still on the right side windows. I used glass cleaner and rubbed REAL hard. Finally got most of it off. The residue is white and smells like UW so I assume that is what it is? My windows are stained a little bit.

Rained yesterday and beading was great. Woke up this morning and noticed the residue was not on the right side windows anymore. There is still some staining on the windows though.

I'll keep you guys up to date if anything changes.

I will say #16 is still the best wax, even better than UW when it comes to beading. The water rolls right off.
                        /Keith

www.LakeMeadOnline.com

Comment

Keep in mind the filmy residue was on the vehicle before I washed and applied #16.
                          /Keith

www.LakeMeadOnline.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kman View Post
                            Keep in mind the filmy residue was on the vehicle before I washed and applied #16.
                            It's a little early in the morning, but I'm confused. You think the film came from Ultimate Wax or you think you waxed on top of a film and you think Ultimate Wax has poor durability? When was the #16 put on??

Maybe I need to re-read this thread after breakfast....

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            David

Comment

Wash the hood with soap and water, then give it a good rinse and see how it beads. Could be that the hood is just dirty or something but I doubt it as your side panels seem to be beading nicely.

Looks like I am sticking with HD Poxy though as its lasted about three months on a work truck so far.
                              Nick
                              Tucker's Detailing Services
                              815-954-0773
                              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');