• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Permanent Paint Coatings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent Paint Coatings

Now we have three types of protection:

1. Waxes
    2. Sealants
    3. Permanent Coatings.

Permanent coatings become more and more popular. Would you use them on your vehicle(s) ?
    Yes, on some vehicles.
    38.46%
    Yes, on most vehicles.
    15.38%
    No, I stay with waxes/ sealants.
    46.15%

Re: Permanent Paint Coatings

I don't think I'll ever use a traditional wax or sealant on my personal cars ever again having had a coating on them for the last 9 or so months.
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Rasky, which coating ??
      Bill Poirier
      West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Originally posted by TKDDAD View Post
        Rasky, which coating ??

I've tried Opti-Coat, CQuartz, and GTechniq C1. I've used Opti-Coat on probably a dozen of my clients cars and so far it's the one I like the most. I have been running my own car through harsh touch-less washes all winter long and it's sill beading very well after about 9 months. I even took lacquer thinner to a spot on the hood (had to remove some greasy substance) and it had no effect on the coating. My car stays noticeably cleaner now, especially in the summer, and washing is a breeze as the light dirt & dust simply rinses away.

If you enjoy waxing the car often then coatings are not really for you. However, if you're like me and struggle to find the time needed to wash and wax your car regularly, then coatings are great!
        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
          I've tried Opti-Coat, CQuartz, and GTechniq C1. I've used Opti-Coat on probably a dozen of my clients cars and so far it's the one I like the most. I have been running my own car through harsh touch-less washes all winter long and it's sill beading very well after about 9 months. I even took lacquer thinner to a spot on the hood (had to remove some greasy substance) and it had no effect on the coating. My car stays noticeably cleaner now, especially in the summer, and washing is a breeze as the light dirt & dust simply rinses away.

If you enjoy waxing the car often then coatings are not really for you. However, if you're like me and struggle to find the time needed to wash and wax your car regularly, then coatings are great!
          Thanks for that information...have you noticed your clients not coming back as often since you started using the coatings ?...I've looked at them too, but I like the therapy that detailing a car gives me...but I wouldn't mind trying it once just to see...
          Bill Poirier
          West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Great explanation, Chad.

I know that you're First Class Expert in applying permanent coatings.

Comment

Originally posted by TKDDAD View Post
              Thanks for that information...have you noticed your clients not coming back as often since you started using the coatings ?...I've looked at them too, but I like the therapy that detailing a car gives me...but I wouldn't mind trying it once just to see...

Keeping in mind that I only do this part time...

I actually only have a few regular clients that come back for regular maintenance, none of which have opted for the coating yet. Most my clients actually want to learn how to care for or properly maintain the vehicles themselves, and they simply need me to get the paint corrected so that they have a clean slate to work with. I will offer them some "how to" guides via email and answer any questions they may have. I also offer them detailing products at a discount price if they have me work on their car.

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
              Great explanation, Chad.

I know that you're First Class Expert in applying permanent coatings.

LOL! I'm not so sure my limited experience makes me and expert on coatings, Greg...but thanks.

There are a few other detailers who've had more experience then me with them and they have posted lots of good info on some of the other forums.

Rasky
              Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I haven't tried this type of product yet but I really want to use this now. I think I'll be migrating to permanent coatings on my own vehicles now and just use my sealants on client's cars.

Rasky, which do you like better? Opti-coat or CQuartz? How many vehicles does each container do?

Also, will Meguiar's come out with this type of product? Spill the beans please!
                2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

I opti-coated the roof of my truck just because its easier than climbing a ladder to wax it constantly. Once the weather gets nicer I will have to check out how it looks since I did it before winter.
                  If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
                    I haven't tried this type of product yet but I really want to use this now. I think I'll be migrating to permanent coatings on my own vehicles now and just use my sealants on client's cars.

Rasky, which do you like better? Opti-coat or CQuartz? How many vehicles does each container do?

Also, will Meguiar's come out with this type of product? Spill the beans please!
                    I like Opti-Coat better, but both work well.

With a 40cc syringe I can get 4-6 cars done now....at first I was using a little more.

With the CQuartz I used about 2/3 of the bottle on a mid-sized car.
                    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I like Opti-Coat better, but both work well.

With a 40cc syringe I can get 4-6 cars done now....at first I was using a little more.

With the CQuartz I used about 2/3 of the bottle on a mid-sized car.
                      So it seems like the opti-coat is a better buy. Why do you like it better? Are they similar in terms of ease of application? Which do u think is more durable?

Thanks.

Comment

Also, will Meguiar's come out with this type of product?
                        Meguiar's Deep Crystal Nano Coating M188 is available only in Asia (for now) due to their needs for severe weather (acid rains) protection.

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
                          Meguiar's Deep Crystal Nano Coating M188 is available only in Asia (for now) due to their needs for severe weather (acid rains) protection.
                          Man I wish they'd sell it here in the United States...

Comment

So it seems like the opti-coat is a better buy. Why do you like it better? Are they similar in terms of ease of application? Which do u think is more durable?

Thanks.
                            I really don't like to speculate on which is better or which will last longer when I haven't done any real hard comparisons.

I applied CQuartz to my wife's car and it was a very st right forward application and I had no issues. However, after leaving it on for a couple months I decided to remove it and go with Opti-Coat simply because I liked the way it repelled, beaded, and sheeted water when compared to CQuartz. This is purely my preference and in no way should be taken that CQ is an inferior product. In fact, you will find several users who prefer the CQ characteristics more.

I also tried applying C1 to a car but had some leveling issues with it, which could have been a result of the high humidity in the shop. I will give this stuff another shot soon too.

As of right now I'd say OC has the edge in the ease of use area as it's not given me any issues yet and it's pretty much a wipe on walk away product like Opti-Seal. The only thing negative I can say about OC is that the syringe is very poor at dispensing the product. I strongly feel that eye protection should be worn with this product and care should be used when pushing down on the plunger. I've found that the rubber gasket inside the syringe can start to stick, possibly from a ring forming inside the walls of the syringe when the cap is off, as the product cures quickly. If the plunger gets sticky, it can, and has result in a sudden gush of product coming out once it breaks free. To help avoid this from happening I will twist the plunger before I press down on it. This seems to help break it free and I have wasted far less product lately as a result of it.

Hope this helps,
                            Rasky
                            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I really don't like to speculate on which is better or which will last longer when I haven't done any real hard comparisons.

I applied CQuartz to my wife's car and it was a very st right forward application and I had no issues. However, after leaving it on for a couple months I decided to remove it and go with Opti-Coat simply because I liked the way it repelled, beaded, and sheeted water when compared to CQuartz. This is purely my preference and in no way should be taken that CQ is an inferior product. In fact, you will find several users who prefer the CQ characteristics more.

I also tried applying C1 to a car but had some leveling issues with it, which could have been a result of the high humidity in the shop. I will give this stuff another shot soon too.

As of right now I'd say OC has the edge in the ease of use area as it's not given me any issues yet and it's pretty much a wipe on walk away product like Opti-Seal. The only thing negative I can say about OC is that the syringe is very poor at dispensing the product. I strongly feel that eye protection should be worn with this product and care should be used when pushing down on the plunger. I've found that the rubber gasket inside the syringe can start to stick, possibly from a ring forming inside the walls of the syringe when the cap is off, as the product cures quickly. If the plunger gets sticky, it can, and has result in a sudden gush of product coming out once it breaks free. To help avoid this from happening I will twist the plunger before I press down on it. This seems to help break it free and I have wasted far less product lately as a result of it.

Hope this helps,
                              Rasky
                              Thanks for sharing your opinion and experience with both products.

So do you let this product dry to a haze and then remove it (like a wax/sealant)? Or do you need to wipe it off while wet (like a polish)? I just haven't been exposed to this kind of products yet and I haven't seen any videos of anybody showing how to apply the product. This product has definitely caught my eye but I'm new to permanent paint coatings...

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');