• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

detailing a motorcycle? need some help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detailing a motorcycle? need some help!

so one of my regular customers wants me to detail his bmw k13 motorcycle. the only problem is ive never detailed a motorcycle before. is there anyway you can help me out? like what do you wash and what dont you wash? just regular do's and donts when your detailing a motorcycle
    thanks!

Re: detailing a motorcycle? need some help!

I'm no professional, just owned a bike for over 2o years. I have always used soap and a hose. Sprayed the bike everywhere but just never use pressured water on the engine. I don't soap the engine either. Using a master blaster air dryer really helps get water out of crevices on a cycle.

Comment

i a no professional either, but i would use a daytona speed brush, onr, some apc in places. work a polish by hand. i doubt my GG DA can touch to many places. don't use tire dressing. do bike chains need to be lubed? a leaf blower will work to get water off

Comment

http://www.motoexpresswash.com/

If they had these back when I rode bikes, I probably would have used it. Back then I just made sure the engine wasn't hot when I sprayed the heck out of it. Visions of cracking an engine.

Good luck with your detail.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        David

Comment

Good luck with your detail.

Comment

A big DON'T for bikes,

DON'T dress the tires.

Slime and tires that operate rolled over on their sides are a very, very, BAD combination.

Comment

I know this thread is getting a bit old but I'll add my two cents worth. Been riding bikes for many years and current sled is a Harley 2009 Dyna Low Rider. First off bikes around the country routinely get ridden mile after mile in torrential downpours so don't worry about getting a bike wet while washing. If you've been riding awhile, the engine is hot, and you get caught in rain it's going to spray cold water on the hot engine. I do prefer to clean a cool engine though so that what ever cleaner you're using doesn't dry too quickly. I've washed many bikes at a car wash but am careful to stand back a few feet so as not to let high pressure water hit it directly. I spray down the engine and wheels with Simple Green and then wash the painted surfaces with whatever car wash I have on hand. After that I spray the whole bike till all the soap and Simple Green are gone. Then I use a leaf blower to get rid of most of the water and follow up with waffle towels to finish drying. I have used tire dressing but only on the sidewall and am very careful not to get it onto any area where the tire meets the road. Use a rag to apply it with and be sure there is no excess that can get thrown off the tire. Chrome occasionally gets polished with chrome cleaner/polish and wheels will get special attention when they need it. Painted surfaces get same care as my car using the same products and techniques. Use a bit of common sense when dealing with pressure washers and blow dryers and you shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

Motorcycle Detailing - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1461658
                ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');