• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Remove Water Spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How To Remove Water Spots

Hi Mike, thanks for the useful post.

It seems that I have a lot of water spots but on my front windshield. They are not circular like the one in your pictures, but more like water that has ran down the windshield after a rain lets say and stuck there. Like the water spots you have in your mirror in your bathroom when water fells over it and starts following downward course (gravity) and the dry out.

I have tried several thinks to clean them with no apparent results (and I fear a lot in case of doing any damage in the windshield). Things I have already tried are:

1) Prima Clarity Glass Cleaner
    2) Optimum No Rinse as a cleaning water solution (1 oz/2 gallon of water)
    3) APC
    4) Tar & Glue Remover (in case it was resin from pine tree that fell during the rain with the rain water)
    5) vinegar
    6) cleaning washing the whole car with a neutral Ph, no alkali,no acids, no wax shampoo.

Despite the measures 1-6 above the water spots remain there. I applied all the above with waffle weave mf towels and I dry the car with waffle weave towels.

I don't know what else to try (my last options that I can think of are clay - with ONR in clay lube proportions and a glass polish cleaner).

But I fear a lot not to scratch or do any other damage to the windshield.

The water spots can be seen only under a specific angle and sun/light conditions and especially when the windshield's wipers are sweeping by drying the windshield.

What else can I try because I am stuck and the car is only 1,5 months old and I can not accept/cope with it.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hey mike, thanks for this wonderful tips. Thanks a lot.
      AJS Carpet Cleaning Lehi will make your carpet look amazing again. Our fantastic 5-step deep steam cleaning process with truck mounted equipment will remove stains, soils, detritus, and allergens.

Comment

Thank you for sharing this informative thread.Really helpful

Comment

Lots of good information here, but my water spotting problem is much greater here in Florida. I have an excellent level of surface tension on my paint ( so much so, that even the morning dew beads up), but when I wash my car in the garage, and the surface is cool, I still gets water spotting, no matter HOW fast I dry the car off. So, in my research, I have found that I am going to have to invest in a water filtration system that will eliminate the compounds that are causing the problem in the first place. The type of filter I am going to get is a Reverse Osmosis (RO) filter. And here's the reason why (http://www.purewaterproducts.com/art...free-car-wash/). I can't afford a whole house system right now, so I'll just get a hose-end type for my garden hose. I found a couple under $200, but I'm sure there's more options out there than I can shake a stick at (http://www.uswatersystems.com/system...e-osmosis.html). I'll let you know how it goes

Comment

I know all about the FL heat. In the summer I wash my car in the garage using the rinsless wash method. Here is a video of my preferred method. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6FVxZ8llvps
            www.JaxDetails.com
            www.facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
            I may be slow, but I do poor work.

Comment

i have tried vinegar(50-50 solution. and compound pad but no luck, it is a plastic bumper and i also have waterspots on the lower door panels that are also plastic. any solutions or tips would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by IYAOYAS View Post
                i have tried vinegar(50-50 solution. and compound pad but no luck, it is a plastic bumper and i also have waterspots on the lower door panels that are also plastic. any solutions or tips would be great.
                Welcome Fellow Northern Nevadan,

Seems like the water quality has been getting worse here despite a relatively normal winter last year.

Water spotting for me is from apartment sprinklers that spray the car instead of the grass. As the summer has turned to fall, mineral content is up significantly.

Will try Mike's suggestions and stay away from steel wool on the windows.
                2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Originally posted by billddrummer View Post
                  Welcome Fellow Northern Nevadan,

Seems like the water quality has been getting worse here despite a relatively normal winter last year.

Water spotting for me is from apartment sprinklers that spray the car instead of the grass. As the summer has turned to fall, mineral content is up significantly.

Will try Mike's suggestions and stay away from steel wool on the windows.
                  Update:

Used clay on the water spots (discovered they were on the glass, plastic chrome accents, and on black trim surrounding the rear window panels). There was no change. Clearly, these are type 2 spots.

Will try UP next time because I don't think ScratchX has sufficient abrasive effect, but I don't know how to remove from the black trim, plastic chrome or glass.

Any help is appreciated.
                  2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Ran across a website that suggested using a muriatic acid solution to remove water spots.

Seems much too aggressive for my taste.

Comment

Originally posted by billddrummer View Post
                      Update:

Will try UP next time because I don't think ScratchX has sufficient abrasive effect, but I don't know how to remove from the black trim, plastic chrome or glass.

Hi Bill:

Long time no hear, hehe. I used UP on the plastic chrome of my Avalon, by hand with a soft cotton cloth like a T-shirt, not terry, and it cleaned up the mess nicely. Just work gently; you may need to do it twice after removing the first coat if the results are not up to par.

Joe

Comment

[QUOTE=Sebu;467179]Hi Mike, thanks for the useful post.

It seems that I have a lot of water spots but on my front windshield. They are not circular like the one in your pictures, but more like water that has ran down the windshield after a rain lets say and stuck there. Like the water spots you have in your mirror in your bathroom when water fells over it and starts following downward course (gravity) and the dry out.

Glass is a strange material. I have the same problem and have also tried many things. I was wondering if you had any success w/ anything yet. BTW, i used clay and glass cleaner on the paint and all the spots are gone. The glass cleaner was Up&Up from Target and contains ammonia. I don't know if brands vary. The glass did not get clean w/ this method. It looks to me like there is a static charge on the glass that is holding the contaminants strongly. The clay is slowly wearing down the spots but i'm looking for an instant solution. Regards.

Comment

I have meguaurs water spot remover. Do I use that before or after Claying?

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');