• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is detailing clay special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is detailing clay special?

I stopped at Griot's Garage Superstore in Tacoma, WA yesterday and wow, what a place! I know this is Meg's forum and I am using all Meg's products but hey, just cause you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't read the menu!

OK, now my question. I was looking at the glass cleaning section [currently using NXT glass cleaner then RainX] and I want to claybar my glass. Looked like they had a good deal on their glass clay so I opened up the jar to look at it [no, it wasn't sealed]. Question coming...

The clay was bright yellow and smelled just like the stuff my kids used when they were little! It was wrapped in plastic so I couldn't touch it, but it sure smelled and looked the same as kid's play clay. Bright idea....why not see if we had any left? We didn't but I stopped at WalMart and they have the same stuff except you get about ten times as much for a third the price.

I didn't buy any but has anyone tried this? Was there any difference? Since I just have a couple of cars to do it wouldn't make a big difference to me, but a pro guy could save a ton o' money if it's just the same stuff marketed under a special use package. What do you think?

Re: Is detailing clay special?

I would just use the tried and tested imo. But its a good question and one
    that my friends always asks me when claying cars. I would like to see also how this thread goes and see if anyone has tried it before.
    if its dirty, clean it.

Comment

As far as I know, modeling clay has a completely different makeup as far as oils, consistency, abrasiveness, resistance to lubricants etc etc etc. I don't think it would be a good idea to use modeling clay and would probably turn into a messy situation.
      Black on Black - 2007 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4x4
      Personalized Detailing

Comment

I have always used clay bought from a hobby shop and have had great results with out the high price of specific detailing clay. Ive been doing so since 1996.

I do plan on trying out megs version next time I clay just to see if there is any difference.

Comment

I dont think you need a speacial glass clay though....
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Detailing clay is protected by a patent that is held by Auto Wax Company Inc As a result, all of the Polybutene (Polyisobutylene) or plastic clay being manufactured now comes from the same factory in Japan, which as the original patent holder and has a monopoly on the market.

If modelling clay could do the same thing as detailers clay companies would be marketing it as an alternative
            ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Detailing clay for glass is as relevent as a swirl removing polish vs a light abrasive polish- pure marketing
              ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');