• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Swirl Removers and Polishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Swirl Removers and Polishes

I'm new to the site, so I appologize if this question has already been answered. I own a Yellow 2004 Mustang that I bought 6 months ago. I'm wanting to do a complete make over using Meguiars 5- Step Paint Care System. The products I already have are:

- Meguiars " Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditttioner".
    - Meguiars Quik Clay Kit.
    - Meguiars " Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax".

My question is my car has very slight surface swirl marks, what product could I apply by hand to the entire car that is the LEAST abrassive and the safest for removing swirl marks? I've read where a lot of people have recommended using #9 Swirl Remover is this a good choice for my application? My next question is being that #9 Swirl Remover is a Cleaner/Polish, do I still need to apply a polish such as #81 Hand Polish for an ultimate shine followed by Meguiars "Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax" as my LSP. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Question on Swirl Removers and Polishes

Originally posted by scott_04
    My question is my car has very slight surface swirl marks, what product could I apply by hand to the entire car that is the LEAST abrassive and the safest for removing swirl marks?
    For removing swirls by hand, it's pretty hard to beat ScratchX.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Question on Swirl Removers and Polishes

Originally posted by scott_04
      My next question is being that #9 Swirl Remover is a Cleaner/Polish, do I still need to apply a polish such as #81 Hand Polish for an ultimate shine followed by Meguiars "Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax" as my LSP. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
      You don't "need" to apply #81 after #9, but I really do think the #81 will add something to the final appearance. The #81 is one of my favorite Meguiar's products.
      Boss_429

Comment

Hey,

I agree with Boss. I normally use #81 Hand Polish right before my Last Step Product so that it will add extra richness to the paint.

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I heard a lot of people mention Sxratch X, but is it the best product to apply to an entire car to remove slight surface swirls or should I go with the #9 Swirl remover. Just how abrassive is the ScratchX and the #9 Swirl Remover? The swirl marks on my car are very light, so would either one of these products be a good choice?

Comment

I personally prefer to use ScratchX on isolated sratches and defects. If I was to go over the entire car, I'd go with #9.
            Both are light abrasives but both need to be worked in well. If you're doing it by hand, prepare for some cramps.
            Another alternative would be ColorX, but it doesn't look like you need a 1-step product. I just like to use CX before LSP since I feel it gives a nice base.

Comment

I'm thinking of getting the #9 to take out my swilrs....

but my question is....is this a compound?
              or a wax?

Comment

What about the #2 fine cut cleaner?

I have a black car with swirls all over...very light but VERY NOTICEABLE!!

Which do you guys recommend?

Comment

Hi cableguynoe

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

I just finished the SoCalEvo class and I'm going to process my paper work and head home, if no one gets you an answer by the time I get home I post some information for you...

Long day....

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                    Hey,

I agree with Boss. I normally use #81 Hand Polish right before my Last Step Product so that it will add extra richness to the paint.

Tim
                    but what about good ol' #7?
                    I rarely use #81 after i bought #7

i actually have no clue what the diff. is all i know is there both pure polishes
                    Patrick Yu
                    2003 Honda Accord
                    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Hey Sneek,

I have and use all of the various Meguiar's pure polishes. Meguiar's #81 Hand Polish is a little easier to use in varying conditions. I have used GALLONS of #7 over the years, but it can be tricky at certain humidities etc... In the end, I use the #7 for darker colors and #81 for lighter. If I am using the buffer, I use #3.

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');