• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting a weekend detail bus. anyone have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a weekend detail bus. anyone have one?

Is there anyone here who details cars just on the weekends for some extra cash? I have been thinking about starting to do such a thing at my home in my garage. Is that a good idea or not? I have all the tools, I think and most of the products I need if I don’t now I will in the next few weeks. I was thinking a couple cars a weekend, I am sure not going to give up my current job. Any suggestions or tips on how to do this, I know I can round up some friends cars and hope they would spread the word. What are some fair prices to charge, I know there is a guy in Des Moines where I live charges something like 125-150 a car full detail. I am thinking I would be considerably less at first to get some customers.

one more thing do I need some kind of insurance?

Any help would be great!
    Last edited by gb387; Mar 30, 2004, 04:00 PM.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

I detail cars mostly on weekends with the occasional weekday afternoon customer. I'm active duty Air Force and since my time is limited, my customers are pretty much selected. I have a business license and keep track of all the necessary documents. Not hard to run at all. Initial start up is low and don't need massive amounts of anything. I created my own brochure with Microsoft Publisher and print 'em out at home. Since my bussiness depends on repeat customers, I emphasize quality work with quality products. I actively try to "recruit" the best possible clients, usually people with expensive cars. You have to convince them that your work is superior to any other regular car wash.
    I you want I can send you my brochure so you can get some ideas.
    Reflections
    Professional Detailing
    Paint Polishing
    Carlos Davila Owner

Comment

I don't have a detail business, however, my husband and I had our own business (pet sitting) for years before we decided always working holidays and never having time to ourselves sucked and we shut it down.

look into insurance. Just me, but I'm over cautious.

A tax id # (to charge sales tax) is easy to get in most states-get one if you're trying to make this a viable business. Most states get bent if you don't give them thier cut!

Not all business are required to be liceansed, check with your city/town

Get a DBA (Doing Business As) to establish a name-we got ours from our county

Learn tax laws if you plan on making much $$ through this business-you can request any info from the IRS free.

Keep good records-excel or a similar program will be your friend!

I made all of our advertising myself, using Printshop. Business cards, brochures, everything. Not too hard, just time consuming!

Good luck!

Comment

I am also interested in starting up a moblie detail shop.
        I have a boat and at my Marina there are a few owners i could recruit and also do there cars. I read in one of these forums that the insurance was a waste of money and they wouldnt even write you one.
        Am kind of confused also. So a little feedback from you guys out there that are running would help. I am in the NY area.

Comment

I started my own mobile detailing business back in 1986. Actually, my neighbor started it for me. He simply asked if I would be willing to clean and wax his car much the same that I had always kept my own cars. When I got done with his car, he could not believe how good it looked. He was really impressed with my work. He offered to pay me but I refused. Hey, after all, we're neighbors. That was the exact moment in time when I realized that I could do car detailing as a business and actually get paid for it.

To get back to the original question of starting a weekend detailing business. I really wouldn't be too concerned with insurance and taxes and such. After all, you are really not a business yet. It's more like you're expanding on a hobbie rather than running your own business. Who knows, you may change your mind and not really go much further in a few months. Then again you may start to get a few regular clients and find that your hobbie has grown into the makings of a start-up business. When that begins to happen you'll know it's time to get your act together and find out more about registering the business and paying sales tax, etc. Until then, you could just operate it as a hobbie.

BTW the US Treasury also views any venture that does not make a profit during the first three years as a hobbie, not an actual business. In other words, they do not want you to start-up a business and then just write off the expenses without showing a profit. That's when they consider it a hobbie.

Either way, have some fun and enjoy making other peoples cars look as good as your own.
          FRANK CANNA
          Mirror Finish Detailing
          23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

I started a small detail shop. Well... It's not much of a shop, just a couple of parking spots out side a Hair Salon my parents own. I can stay pretty busy on a Sunny day because most of the people that walk into the salon are women; and women (most) don't take good care of their cars. I went and got a DBA (doing business as) and i'm payed as a contract worker. So there is no need for a tax id. However, I am still struggling to get full details. Most people that come through just want a Wash & Vac. I have just a handful of customers who will drop their car off for the works. There are NOT too many people here in San Antonio who know how to take care of their cars, everyone goes to those damn high volume, swirl the hell out of your car, car washes. The products that you use quickly should be bought in gallons. Like tire & vinyl dressing, Wheel cleaners, degreasers, QD's, etc...It will save you money in the long run. An inexpensive ($70 - $100) electric pressure washer also comes in handy for engine compartments and wheel wells.

Comment

Originally posted by detailthis
              There are NOT too many people here in San Antonio who know how to take care of their cars, everyone goes to those damn high volume, swirl the hell out of your car, car washes.
              That's one thing I'm wondering about. I don't see too many people take really good care of their paint up here in Vermont. I'm wondering if they even care...

Wayne
              Wayne

Still a Junior...

Comment

I just started a side gig. First off I started small mostly my own car and my neighbor 2 yrs ago. We would wash, wax, with minor detail and say "man this would be cool to do and get paid for it too!!" As time progressed my product knowledge has grown and I have purchased more products (pro line stuff). As the products moved up so did my final product.

A few weeks ago I detailed my g-parents caddy (that sucker is big) and one of their retired friends checked out my work. He liked and wants me to detail 4 restored Studebakers, an AMC, and his daily driver Buick. He has a car show coming up. I called around to find out prices and services offered for the cost. I mentioned I don't shampoo carpets and headliners, nor fix scratches, or run a hi speed buffer. He said no problem just make my cars look as good as your's and the caddy.

Now he's showing off his rides to his other club members (retired also) and they might want my services too.

I tell him its not me just great products..

With your truck you should have no problem getting interested customers.

I'm hoping this works out especially with older cars and I might try to specialize in that area of detailing. To my client he's spent alot of time and money on his toys and wants them to look tip top all the time. Unlike daily drivers most know and want a quick short lasting detail and will pay as such. By sticking with older cars I can take my time and ask for a little more.

This brings me to my next area of detailing older cars. I'm in talks with the client about some sort of schedule to maintain their finish and charge a smaller fee. As we know the first detail is the longest and subsiquent details are far more easy.

With the help of the info and people on this site you can't fail!!

Good luck and good detailing!! Sorry about the filibuster..

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! It seems every week my product selection grows.

scrub... For now I fall into where you started nothing big just making a vehicle look better with my PC and Meguiars products. You know charge a little less than the pros but still get great results. No scratch fixing or rotary buffing, only trust myself on stuff at work, if I mess it up we can fix it and its only our stuff we buff. I can clean carpets with a hoover steam cleaner but only carpets nothning more, it works quite well but I am sure the pros can do better. I guess as long as I am up front about this stuff and don't charge the pro prices I shouldn't have a problem.

I tell him its not me just great products..
                  True... They just need someone to apply them!
                  Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Upfront is the key. Be sure not to undersell your abilities though. Your time is still worth something to you.

I subscribe to using my ride as the tester too.

You will find clients just hit you when you least expect it.

Another thing on charging, I quoted a price after I showed him my finished product and my work habbits. He's paying for ability (limited still) but more important to him is my passion for my work. He added more money to my quote when all was said and done.

These pros around here use cleaner wax (meguiar's of course). I sold him on the fact I'm using separate steps which should yield better "show car" results, but is more time consuming (for now until the pc deal...)

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');