• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Oxidation by Hand?? (56k Warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Oxidation by Hand?? (56k Warning)

Hey guys im new here and hoping you guys can help..

I have a Red 2000 F150 thats faded or oxidized from the front doors foward.. heres a pic

So as you can see its pretty bad..

Im new to detailing aside from the basic car wash so after some time spent on google and youtube I purchased some Ultimate Compound and NXT 2.0

Now I really just couldnt wait to see how well it worked so yesterday I did a small test spot on the truck using just the ultimate compound and was really impressed with the results..

So today I decided to try to get it done I washed the truck and dried it but was disapointed to see after washing the test spot seemed to have faded back not 100% but it wasnt the same great results that I had yesterday.. But I figured or hoped it was because I hadnt applied any wax so I got to work on the door.. it took me an hour to get the door done I was having problems getting the UC to completly remove but after a little time I got a system going and got the hang of it..

Heres the results.. this is after UC and NXT 2.0 applied to the door

Its alot of work to be honest but IMO the results are worth it "IF" It stays like this.. So heres my question.. Is the NXT 2.0 enough to keep the results of the UC looking like day 1 or should I be using somthing else?? I really dont want to be doing this and then it fade again next time the truck is washed..

Re: Removing Oxidation by Hand?? (56k Warning)

Hi Tlsf150,

I approved this post for now, but we generally ask our posters to use images that are about 600 pixels wide (700 tops), because these can be very hard on those with slower connections.

Would you mind resizing them (Follow THIS LINK) and then posting them again? I'll edit out the originals once you do. Thanks!

Mark

Comment

Sorry about that I took the pictures with my phone and didnt realize they were that big.. I fixed them..

Comment

Great results!!! I would suggest adding a polish prior to waxing.

Comment

Yeah, a polish sounds like a good idea to add in.

Were you getting any red on your pads, or is the truck clear coated?
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks guys ill have to look into polish.. anyone in particular you guys would recommend??

I definitely had red on the pad and the towels, Which is actually a little weird or concerning considering my paint code is E4 which from what I have seen has clearcoat.. and I have a spot on my drivers door that I thought to be the beginning of clear coat failure..

Comment

Adding any product will change the appearence of the paint. Claybar will make a big difference and is considered a required step. The only concern I have is an entire truck by hand. As its time consuming and most if not all people cannot exert the same amount of passion over the entire car. Hey, we all get tired.

Either you do one panel at a time and simply this may take a few days and may require re washing as it is pollen season.

You may want to invest in a buffer, or some to take the pressure off you.

Comment

Well I dont actually plan to do the whole truck like this.. Its just the front doors fenders and hood that are oxidized so Im only using the UC on these panels then Wax the whole truck which I dont think should be a problem to do by hand based on the door i did yesterday..

I do want to get a buffer though but im not exactly in the best finacial situaion to be 100% honest so for now Im going to be doing it all by hand..

Comment

Do you pick up red if you clean one of the panels that are still in good shape?

Comment

honestly I dont know the pad already had red on it when i touched up a couple scratches on the rear of the truck.. Ill test it out today and let you know..

Comment

I compounded a whole Mustang once by hand using Ultimate Compound, M07, and NXT 2.0 - that was before I got a buffer. Here's a link:

Shane
                      1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

^^ Wow nice job with that mustang gives me some hope lol..

But unfortantly I think things just took a turn for the worst.. I tried UC on the bed and DID NOT lift any red.. So im assuming my clear is gone up front..

I guess im going to have to keep this paint on life support untill I can have the truck painted..

I was thinking it would be cool to have it painted somthing like the new 2012 Mustang lava red color anyway lol

Comment

Did you have the truck from new, know of any paint work done?

Comment

No.. I got it about 2 to 3 weeks ago.. I have no idea how many owners or if its been painted before or not.. Any key things to look for that might indicate it was painted??

Comment

Well A little more progress made today.. But itll probably be wed before I can get the passenger fender and door..

Okay heres the before again..

And pics as of today..

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');