• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some 80 series advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some 80 series advice!

I have read alot of different threads in here talking about this but I am still confused. I have a 2005 Focus ST (see my username in gallery) The hood had to be repainted last week due to my local Ford body shop burning the finish while trying to repair an eraser sized rock chip/dent in the middle of the hood. I am purchasing a 7336 Porter Cable on Monday. I also plan on getting the meguiars 8006 polishing pad and finishing pad. My question is on the new paint and also over the entire car there is some swirling going on. No matter how hard I try, two buckets, microfiber, sheepskin mit, it doesnt matter. I already have some m-09 2.0 swirl remover but when I go to my local dealer to get my backing plate and pads I was going to get some 80 speed glaze as I have heard that it works better on swirls than the 2.0 swirl remover does. Applying the M-09 by hand has really had minimal results. I know Mike answered in another thread that 8o speed glaze works better than the M-09 by hand. With my new DA though should the 80 speed glaze applied with 8006 pad then followed by NXT be sufficient or do I need to go with 83, then follow that with the 80. Also if I get the 80 or the 80 and 83 will I really even have any need for the m-09 anymore? Also with the hood being new paint Should I worry about the 80 or 83 damaging the finish using a DA and will using these products over a span of time like every few months using a DA damage the finish eventually. From what I have been able to gather the 83 is more for a more neglected finish which mine is for sure not sure some swirls. This is why I need some advice as to try the 80 by itself first or use the 83 than the 80 than the NXT. then you throw the 82 swirl free polish in there and my head starts hurting! Can some of my friends on here give me some pro advice on which prodicts to use? I know that following the least aggresive first rule than the 80 first to see if it works would be logical but I figured some of the pros on here would have some first hand advice!

Thanks in Advance

Kevin

Last edited by kev4bama; Feb 27, 2005, 11:42 AM.

I would try the #80 first. You should wait at least 60-90 days before you use any wax or sealant like NXT on the hood. #80 has paintable polymers so that is OK to use on new paint. If you find that #83 is needed I would follow up with another application of #80.

What I am not sure of is how soon after the new paint job you should wait to use #83. You probably won't have to wait very long.

RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Thanks RamAirV1

I was going to start with the 80 and hope it does the job, I am just wondering if I have to go with 83 and then back to 80 I wonder how much clearcoat I will be removing, especially even if I have to use the 80 every few months.
      Last edited by kev4bama; Feb 27, 2005, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kev4bama
        Thanks RamAirV1

I was going to start with the 80 and hope it does the job, I am just wondering if I have to go with 83 and then back to 80 I wonder how much clearcoat I will be removing, especially even if I have to use the 80 every few months.
        Check this post out.... it is very interesting:
        Superior Shine one of the tests he did was a test using #83 with the PC and found that there was no clear coat removed. Check it out its third post on that page...

Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

You will not remove enough clearcoat that you will have to worry about it. One of the forum members actually measured, with a paint thickness guage, how much clearcoat is removed by some of the #80 series products, including some of the most aggressive ones like #84 or #85. It was much less paint removed than I expected. I don't have the link to that thread but maybe somebody else does.

RamAirV1
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Hey,

I agree with RamAirV1

You can use #80 Speed Glaze over and over with a PC!! The link provided above (gb387 post) shows Joe measuring the thickness with an ETG, demonstrating just how much material is actually being removed from the buffing process.

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hi Kevin,

In the last 15 years or so, I cannot tell you how many times I've read of someone with swirls in their finish, purchasing the M09 Swirl Remover 2.0, applying by hand only to be disappointed that the swirls are still there. It's easy to understand why they would be frustrated as the name on the bottle says, Swirl Remover, but this is a product in the Professional Line, formulated and intended for use by professionals and best results with M09 for removing swirls is obtained when it is applied with a rotary buffer. Modern paints are typically much harder than traditional solvent-evaporation single stage finishes and because removing swirls in the paint means removing paint in a effort to level the upper most surface with the lowest depths of the scratches, using your hand to apply a gentle swirl remover like the M09 is not going to work.

Since Meguiar's inception, we have always preached the philosophy of,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

For the swirls you describe, the M09 may work if applied with a dual action polisher using one of our W-8006 foam pads if the polisher is moved slowly over the surface, working a small area at a time, and working the finish for a long time. You have to remember best results for removing swirls with M09 is with a rotary buffer, not a dual action polisher because the action of the dual action polisher is gentle compared to the direct drive rotating action of a rotary buffer.

Chances are good that you will get better results to start out with the M80 Speed Glaze with the W-8006 polishing pad on the 5.0 setting.

You should not have to use the M83 on the light swirls you have on your fresh paint.

After polishing the finish with the M80 Speed Glaze, stop there and maintain the finish with M80 until the recommended curing time that your painter has recommended has passed. This is usually 30/60/90 days.

You asked me via e-mail is Speed Detailer would be safe for use on your car's fresh paint? Meguiar's recommends to always follow your painters recommendations for the paint system they are using, this includes waiting to apply wax till after the cure time is over and any other product that is not body shop safe. For this reason, the best quick detailer for use on fresh paint would me our M34 Final Inspection as this product is body shop safe.

Hope this helps...

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');