• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

test spot has me worried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• test spot has me worried

95 avus m3, i doubt this car has ever had a real paint correction. Never garaged, california and florida sun. Im planning a "2 stage" compound and polish job next weekend, the other day i did a test spot by hand on the worst area of my car. My drivers door already looks oxidized so i used some megs UC/swirlX on a small squared off section. The section if anything, looks worse. Heres a photo I took today with the car not clean. Theres no paint on the pads, but im nervous i guess that the coat could be too thin to correct. Just looking for help from those with experience. Thanks!

Re: test spot has me worried

to update this, i can probably attribute this too my watery UC. I think all that did was make it worse. Ill pick up some new UC and see how it goes this weekend.

Comment

did you apply it by hand? DA?
      what pads did you use?
      how long did you work the products?

Comment

Which side of the pic is the test spot?
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

test spot by hand
          the lighter area was the test. The darker area is the tape line.

Comment

I wouldn't think watery Ultimate Compound would make the finish worse.

So I'll repeat Murr's and icare's questions:

Is the "done" side of your photo the right or left?

What were you using for a pad or applicator? Foam or microfiber?

How long did you work the product(s)? You mention UC and SwirlX, did you use both?

Also did you shake the bottle thoroughly? I would think only frozen or a really old bottle of UC would be watery.

Thanks for the additional information

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            David

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');