• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need HELP! - How to avoid holograms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey,

Happy New Year to you also!!!!

Even Pros will get holograms! So while some can remove 95% or more of the holograms, trust me, it is not easy! There are just so many variables!!!

Hang in there! Keep trying!!!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

TIM&MIKE
      Appreciate your superfast replies.
      From my observation of the holograms
      1 The lines of them are exactly the width of the pad. (This happens when I buff the hood in one direction) Could this be the installation of the back plate since I can only screw in a few mm of the spindle. (MEGS Thailand office told me that the plate is brand new. So I takes a while for the plate to slide in the spindle. However, just a few turns in the spindle. It could cause the backing plate to become unstable, couldn't it?)
      2 The other thing is I also tried 3M swirl removal with finising pad at the speed of 1 ( on Makita). The holograms didn't disappear but they change their pattern. I feel that I just introduce new holograms with 3M.

IMHO it's not about the polishes that are not effective to remove holograms. It's rather my ineffective method . Even if I got #82, it could have happened just like 3M that the holograms are there but they are just in different patterns.

PS I hope both of you understand what I am trying to communicate. Without the picture, it's difficult.

Thks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanat198

IMHO it's not about the polishes that are not effective to remove holograms. It's rather my ineffective method . Even if I got #82, it could have happened just like 3M that the holograms are there but they are just in different patterns.

PS I hope both of you understand what I am trying to communicate. Without the picture, it's difficult.

Thks again.
        Hi Tanat198,

Skill and technique are a big factor when it comes to creating a swirl-free finish. The rotary is necessary to remove defects and then to remove any haze or swirl left by the rotary a dual action polisher works best.

From my previous reply,

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
        If you do everything right you can get to about 98% to 99% of the way to your goal of a swirl free finish. In order to take your results over the top to perfection, you will have to re-polish the finish using a machine that oscillates instead of rotates, and/or apply a product that will fill-in and eliminate from your view, the very fine, or shallow swirls that may still remain.
        Are dual action polishers like Meguiar's G-100 available in Bangkok, Thailand?

Mike

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey,

It takes practice!

Here is my own truck which I just completed before Christmas (Dec. 22). It does not look it, but it was very cold that day!!

A full-on Sun shot with no swirls on the hood

And the truck completed, in the sun.

So hang in there! You will get those marks removed! But I must also agree fully with Mike, do you have access to a G-100 buffer? If so, this will GREATLY help you!!!

Tim

Comment

Hi:

Very nice. Great looking paint!!!

What product are you using on your tires?

Where is all the snow?

Regards,

KTruck
            Make it Shine

Comment

Hey KTruck,

I am using Meguiar's All Season Dressing. I love the stuff! Just apply it and leave it for about 5 minutes, and I mean 5 minutes. Then come back with a MF towel and wipe off the excess.

All Season Dressing

As for the snow, we got dumped on about a week before the picture. Then tropical air moved in and melted it in 2 days! Behind the tropical air was a COLD front which dropped the temperatures into the minuses!

Last night, we just got hammered with blowing snow. I will take a couple of pictures and post them in my gallery.

Happy New Year!

Tim

Comment

Hey KTruck,

Here is the snow!!! Ughhh!!!!

Luckily I can drive the wife's car so I can keep the truck clean!! Just Kiddin!

Tim

Comment

Hi 2hotford:

That is more like what I expected to see.

Surprised that the snow will stick to your truck after seeing the picture of it you posted earlier.

Keep up the good work in 2005.

Regards,

KTruck
                  Make it Shine

Comment

MIKE
                    Sadly, DA is not available in BKK .

TIM

That's really nice swirl free finish. Look great.
                    Even I attacked the swirl on my car with #83 and polishing pad. There are still swirl everywhere .
                    I think I have to practice more. Could you please tell me your detailing process of your p/u?

Comment

Originally posted by Tanat198
                      MIKE
                      Sadly, DA is not available in BKK .

TIM

That's really nice swirl free finish. Look great.
                      Even I attacked the swirl on my car with #83 and polishing pad. There are still swirl everywhere .
                      I think I have to practice more. Could you please tell me your detailing process of your p/u?
                      Thanks!

I use the same process I recommended to you. I use a rotary spinning 1750 RPM with #83 DACP and a W-8006 Polishing Pad. I follow this with the rotary spinning 1300 RPM with #82 Swirl Free Polish or #80 Speed Glaze with a W-9006 Finishing Pad. Then, I use a PC with #80 again. I follow this with #81 Hand Polish by hand. Top with 2 coats of NXT using a PC (speed 3) and a W-9006 pad. Then remove using a W-8006 Pad wrapped in a Meguiar's Ultimate Bonnet with PC set to speed 5.

The above is very simplified as there is a lot more to it than just using the same products. For example, #83 needs to be broken down until only a light residue remains. But with #82 or #80, you work it in, but remove while still damp. If you work it for as long as the #83, you may re-introduce swirls in to the finish. Also, the amount of pressure on the buffer changes through the buffing process as well etc. Finally, you MUST use clean pads for each step!

That is the process I use most of the time. But it highly depends on the paint. But most importantly it is the technique being used. So you need to keep practicing to get the feel for the rotary, how much pressure to use, and how long to work each product. Again, this only comes from practice and experience. You should try and get a hood from a body shop to practice on.

Meguiar's sells a video: How to Remove Paint Defects where the topic of using the rotary and the PC are explained.

"How to remove paint defects"

Finally, you really should try and locate a DA type of polisher. If the PC or G-100 are not available, then perhaps try and find a Dewalt model etc.

Best advice: Keep practicing and do not give up! It takes time to get a swirl free finish, but you will get your finish to its Maximum Potential!!

Tim

Comment

TIM
                        I have found #82.
                        I think the real concern for me is the wheather here is very hot, mostly 32C-35C. When I buff #83, just a few short passes can turn it really dry. This could be the problem. Is there any tip to buff in this kind of hot wheather besides misting the pad with water?
                        I will re-do the detailing again. I will post pics this time so I can describe the situation better.

THKS.

Comment

Hey,

In really hot weather, I like to mist both the pad and the paint's surface with Meguiar's #34 Final Inspection. This will give you more product working time. However, it is also messy as you get more buffer sling so cover everything thoroughly.

Just remember, do not mist the pad or surface when applying the NXT or another Last Step Product.

Give the above a try and let us know!

Tim

Comment

TIM
                            Sorry to ask you questions in several posts. I have read all the old post on this MOL and found them very useful. I was wondering what if #82 would only tempolary hide the buffer marks/holograms instead of wiping them away?
                            THKS

Comment

Hey,

Meguiar's #82 uses diminishing abrasives designed to remove the swirls.

No problem about the questions! Keep them coming!

Tim

Comment

TIM&MIKE
                                I just tried #83 this morning. I still got the holograms. Got a pic for you. Is this a common result after #83?

I was unable to get #82 ( available in gallon only) but I used 3M III Machine glaze with non-filling. It worked quite ok for me. I used it with Black and Decker orbital polisher.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');