• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much paint am I removing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 um = 1 micron = 1 micrometer = .001 millimeter

1 mil = .001 inch = 25.4 um

1 micron = 0.0393700787 mil

Comment

Thanks OtherPC. So my brain is tired now. Do the specs indicate that it would be accurate enough for me to differentiate between .1 and .5 Mil? It seems that it would since a micron is smaller than a mil.
      Richard Lin
      ShowCarDetailing
      5548 E. La Palma Ave
      Anaheim, CA 92807
      toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

Ok, after doing a bit more reading and research, I bit the bullet and ordered one. It's being shipped from China. To avoid the commercial links rule, go to eBay and search for item # 230003105642

Price was $164 + shipping International FedEx, total came out to $188.98

I saw the ETG-A on eBay was selling for close to $600 from a dealer today.

Richard Lin
        ShowCarDetailing
        5548 E. La Palma Ave
        Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

I got an email from FedEx last night and an email from the vendor today. Says the item has been shipped and will arrive Wed by 10:30AM. That means I'll bring it to the Wednesday Garage Clinic. Anyone that wants to check it out, come to the clinic! Mike and I will compare it to the unit that Meguiar's owns.

Richard
          Richard Lin
          ShowCarDetailing
          5548 E. La Palma Ave
          Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Well after much headaches with FedEx, I finally just went down to the FedEx station and picked up my package, since they had such a hard time delivering it to me.

The wait was worth it.

I put in 4 AA batteries, plugged in the probe, and started taking measurements on my MINI. On the bonnet (hood), it was measuring around 4.5 to 5.5 Mil on the flat surfaces, and up to 7Mil on the top of the curviest parts.

There is a switch to change from Mil to um. Also included were some metals for calibration.

I then took the probe to my test panel, which is the rear hatch off a MINI. I took some test readings there and was getting 7Mil. Then I put the probe on a rotary buffer "hole" that I created a year ago--bare metal. It read as expected 0.3 or almost 0. I moved the probe to the surrounding area and it read 4 Mil.

The instructions say it wll read any non magnetic surface--plastic or paint on a magnetic surface--so it works on anything that a magnet will stick too. Sorry no Fiberglass here.

I tried it on the spoiler of my MINI and no reading. I also tried on some plastic painted panels and no reading. But it worked fine anywhere else.

Now I'd like to compare it to the ETG-A or similar unit to see whether we get similar readings or not.

So far so good. The price was right, shipping was fast, and it's easy to use. More tests coming.
            Richard Lin
            ShowCarDetailing
            5548 E. La Palma Ave
            Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Hey Richard,

It's Doug from the Wed's Detail Class at Meg's (red Datsun).

How do you like your new toy? I need to get a paint gauge but of course I am on a budget. Should I get this one?

Tks Doug

So Cal Shine Shop - TO, CA

PS When's your new rotary video coming, loved your PC video!

Comment

I'd say definitely get it. I like mine. Shipping is fast, took 2 days to arrive.

Richard
                Richard Lin
                ShowCarDetailing
                5548 E. La Palma Ave
                Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

I'd say definitely get it. I like mine. Shipping is fast, took 2 days to arrive.

Richard
                  Richard Lin
                  ShowCarDetailing
                  5548 E. La Palma Ave
                  Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Thanks to Octane Guy, I also ordered one of these. It's fine...I even found out my trunk and hood are aluminum Super-fast shipping from the other side of the world. My only problem is it very shortly stopped beeping when taking readings. The speaker still works, because it beeps when you power it up, but it initially beeped as it registered each reading (same as a more expensive unit I borrowed from work), and it doesn't now.

Comment

I don't recall mine ever beeping but I did have trouble getting it to take a reading yesterday. Reset didn't solve it, but unplugging probe and plugging back in did.

Richard
                      Richard Lin
                      ShowCarDetailing
                      5548 E. La Palma Ave
                      Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Thanks for the response.

Does it read aluminum?

Only concern now is reliability

Doug

Comment

No, it's for ferrous substrates only.

Comment

You get what you pay for. I wanted a part time use tool that was accurate.

Originally posted by jdlierle
                            Thanks for the response.

Does it read aluminum?

Only concern now is reliability

Doug
                            Richard Lin
                            ShowCarDetailing
                            5548 E. La Palma Ave
                            Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Originally posted by OctaneGuy
                              You get what you pay for. I wanted a part time use tool that was accurate.
                              I think the thing is great. Only problem is support and service is likely to be non-existant. Based on what I've seen so far, though, this instrument seems to stand up in the important measures of quality (read: accuracy) to other instruments.

Comment

Re: How much paint am I removing?

How much clear do you think would be removed using M03, Machine Glaze, about every couple of months? I've been told that M03 is the least aggressive polish. My finish is in excellent condition; I just want to step up the look of the vehicle. Thanks.

Ashton

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');