• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orange Peel Fix ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Peel Fix ?

Hey guys, let me say that I really value the opinions on this site. You guys know your stuff and I'm impressed with the results you are getting when detailing your vehicles.

My new (since October) truck has the crappiest paint job I've ever seen. I've never seen so much "orange peel". I heard that it's due to the paint process the manufacturers now have to do in order to comply with federal regulations.

Anyway, will polishing take the majority of it away, or will it have to be stripped down and repainted at a quality paint shop?

Thanks in advance, and I'd sure like to see some before and after pics of this type of situation.
    Danny

'04 Chevy Colorado
    Indigo Blue
    Z71 4x4

Re: Orange Peel Fix ?

Originally posted by Danny45
    Anyway, will polishing take the majority of it away, or will it have to be stripped down and repainted at a quality paint shop?
    The best way to remove orange peel is to wet-sand the finish flat and then remove your sanding marks using a rotary buffer.

This can be very difficult and even risky when working on factory paint because typically, (not always), the paint can be very hard as it is baked-on at the factory and completely cured and hardened. In a body shop situation, they usually wet-sand within a day or two while the paint is still soft and therefore much easier to buff and remove the sanding marks.

Also, with a factory paint job, you need to be concerned over the film-build or thickness of your truck's paint. In a body shop, or custom paint job situation, the painter will apply an extra coat or two if they plan on wet-sanding the entire vehicle so that there is plenty of film-build to and and buff. With a factory paint job, you may not have this extra level of thickness to successfully buff out the entire car without risk of burning through.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike! Looks like I'll just have to live with it until I get it good and trashed and then pay to get a decent paint job.
      Danny

'04 Chevy Colorado
      Indigo Blue
      Z71 4x4

Comment

Before getting a paint job, post an announcement here and we can discuss what to look for or ask for when getting a custom paint job.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Danny,

Almost all new trucks have orange peel. You'll get used to it. By all means do not attempt to get rid of it by over-polishing or wet-sanding.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tguil
            Danny,

Almost all new trucks have orange peel. You'll get used to it. By all means do not attempt to get rid of it by over-polishing or wet-sanding.

Tom

I've been showing the wife this site and the many before/after pics that you guys are posting. She's really impressed. Maybe she won't be too upset if I do ruin the paint and HAVE to get a custom paint job done.
            Danny

'04 Chevy Colorado
            Indigo Blue
            Z71 4x4

Comment

Danny,

Can't tell, Kimber, D/W?
              *No Applause, Just Throw Money!*

Comment

Originally posted by GearHead_1
                Danny,

Can't tell, Kimber, D/W?

Kimber Pro Elite
                Danny

'04 Chevy Colorado
                Indigo Blue
                Z71 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Danny45
                  Kimber Pro Elite
                  Thought it might be but it is kind of a small pic. You gotta love it.
                  *No Applause, Just Throw Money!*

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');