• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member, Applying UC by hand giving me troubles..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member, Applying UC by hand giving me troubles..

Hey guys, New member from Washington..

Anyways, Last night I went and bought a bottle of UC and some pads. I washed my truck today with dawn soap to remove any previous waxes, Clayed the hood and then started to use the UC. Well my pads keep turning black/gray. Is that all the dirt thats in the clearcoat and the UC is removing it? I will do a section about 12"x12" and it all looks great but there is a gray haze all the way around the section. My truck is a 1986 chevy c10 from cali so the hood and roof are a little dull but still has plenty of clearcoat

Am I applying to much of the UC? Or? Im extremely confused and getting frustrated!

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Matt

Re: New Member, Applying UC by hand giving me troubles..

Probably going to want some pics on this one.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Alright, I will go and snap some pics the best I can..

Comment

Are you sure you got clear coat there ? Sounds to me like single stage paint.

If you are achieving the necessary correction but it's appearing hazed maybe you could try something like SwirlX after applying UC. What kind of pad are you using to apply UC ?

Some pics will definitely help as Murr mentioned.

Comment

Now you got me wondering if it is clearcoat or not.. I just bought some microfiber pads from the autoparts store. Wanted something to do today so I just bought those, I didn't want to wait for some foam pads to show up. After I do a section it looks great its the edges that are grayish in color. If I get the pad damp it comes right off and there isn't a problem.

The sun was "baking the hood" Moved the truck into the shade just now will go out in a little bit to see if its cooled down enough for me to show you guys whats going on.

Comment

Maybe you are getting some dried product left over ? What color is your vehicle ?
            Those pictures are definitely needed.

Comment

Ok so those were not easy pics to get, best I could come up with using my phone.

When I start applying the UC in a circular motion this happen.. Gray streaking everywhere.

Now when I wipe off with a microfiber cloth this is what comes off..

Comment

Posted the pics but they are external links so they have to be approved first.. The truck is a light blue color.

Comment

You can upload them to Meguiars Gallery. Just click on Gallery, then Upload Pictures on the top right corner.

Comment

It looks like the truck is single stage paint and the black mess you are seeing on your towel is the oxidation removed by Ultimate Compound.

Did you allow Ultimate Compound to dry on the surface?
                    Tedrow's Detailing
                    845-642-1698
                    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn T. View Post
                      It looks like the truck is single stage paint and the black mess you are seeing on your towel is the oxidation removed by Ultimate Compound.

Did you allow Ultimate Compound to dry on the surface?
                      After I was looking at the paint I did come to the conclusion that it is single stage paint. And no, I didnt allow the UC to dry. I wipe it off right after im done with a section.

Comment

Cant edit the post for some reason, sorry for multiples of the same pic dont know how that happened.

Comment

The microfiber pad you are using is definitely too aggressive for your paint, I would recommend changing that for the soft foam. UC might as well be too strong, if you could get a bottle of swirlX to try it would be great.

After applying UC, you will need a polish like Ultimate Polish (or one designed for single stage paint) to restore gloss and reflection. But use a different pad for each product.

Let's see what everybody thinks so you don't go buying things you don't need. I'm not familiar with single stage paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Tafner View Post
                            The microfiber pad you are using is definitely too aggressive for your paint, I would recommend changing that for the soft foam. UC might as well be too strong, if you could get a bottle of swirlX to try it would be great.

After applying UC, you will need a polish like Ultimate Polish (or one designed for single stage paint) to restore gloss and reflection. But use a different pad for each product.

Let's see what everybody thinks so you don't go buying things you don't need. I'm not familiar with single stage paint.
                            I will go ahead and order some of the foam pads. I will wait until friday to buy anything and wait to see if anyone else chimes in on what they think I should buy.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');