• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newb... "pull in" compound/polish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb... "pull in" compound/polish?

I see mention of this in a lot of my research here on MOL. What exactly does it mean to "pull in" the compound/polish?

Re: Newb... "pull in" compound/polish?

Car paints dry and open over time. It causes them to absorb any moisturizers/ oils from chemicals much faster.

If a vehicle has a very dry paint (hasn't been detailed for a long time while exposed to UV rays and mother nature) it may absorb oils so quickly that it won't be any lubricant left to make compound/ polish work effectively turning it into dry and gummy product. You need wet buffing experience at all time to prevent marring and sticking.

Mostly single stage paints cause this problem but some modern 2-stage paints can do it as well. In those cases you want to use a product with rich polishing oils, like M07, M80, M205 or Ultimate Polish.

Comment

Makes enough sense in that way.

I actually thought it was more of a technique, than an effect as you described.

I remember reading something to the effect of... ".. after laying a bead of product, say 6-8" in length pull the product in with the pad and start making passes".

Not an actual quote as I cannot for the life of me find where I read this. Have done a lot of that in the last few weeks. I would like to provide a link but just can't find it.

Anyway, that is what I was wondering about...

Your definition makes perfect sense. TY!

Comment

It is a technique, when you're working with a rotary people place a bead or line of product on the surface before they begin working. To allow the product to come in contact with the pad face to collect the product and begin working the surface you tilt the buffer on one edge. This allows the product to be swept into and under the pad using the rotation motion of the buffer. Without tilting the buffer the product bead would contact the pad edge first and sling all over the place.

Comment

Ok that is more along the lines of what I was questioning. TY BS MXRacer, that explains it clearly. I thought I was pretty ok with a rotary till these last few weeks studying here on MOL. Seems I have a lot of bad technique to change and sling is a big one. Have some time set aside tonight for practice and was hoping this "pull in" method along with pad priming may help me there. No longer a wonder why I used so much product in past uses.

Comment

Here's a comprehensive article on that very subject:

Bill

Comment

Excellent link, many many thanks BillyJack!

Comment

This information was a tremendous help. Sling is something I just did not experience last night. Two times and that was cause I used too much product. Thanks guys!!!

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');