• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oxidation Or Clear Coat Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxidation Or Clear Coat Failure

I am about to purchase a 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe and wanted everyone's opinion on this.

The only part of the car that has any major paint problems is the roof. As you can see the paint is fading away. There is no signs of clear coat cracking or peeling. Is this oxidation or clear coat failure? Is it too far gone or will I have to respray the clear on the roof?

Appreciate any help!

Re: Oxidation Or Clear Coat Failure

Oxidation

The paint surface takes in a chalky grey appearance that has no shine. Basically the chemical integrity of the paint has been degraded by ultra violet (UV) radiation, acid rain, industrial fall out (IFO) and etc. Oxidation really amounts to a weakening of the resins that bind paint, which results in the micro-pores becoming exposed and a larger area of paint becomes oxidized.

The paint top surface loses its reflective ability and becomes ‘chalky’; this is a sign that the structural integrity (mechanical strength) of the paints matrix has become compromised.

Once the paint has been breached in this manner, polishing with a chemical paint cleaner (Klasse AIO) may remove minor surface oxidation but use caution if you decide to use an abrasive polish, as you are further ‘thinning’ the paint, applying waxes and polishes temporarily wets the surface making it appear better. The oils and other components do not have the ability to repair the resin binders but rather cover up the problem for a short period of time.
    ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Oxidation, in my experience, has been more uniform. This looks like clear coat failure to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
        Oxidation, in my experience, has been more uniform. This looks like clear coat failure to me.
        +1

It looks like a clear coat starts failing and flaking.
        The only way to fix it would be repainting of that panel.

Comment

Clear coat Failure.

Comment

Would have to agree with all others....

It appears to be failure / too far gone. While polishes etc... may may it look better for a short amount of time, it appears it would die back pretty quickly.

A re-spray looks like the only / best option....
            Mike Pennington
            Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
            Meguiar's, Inc.
            800-854-8073
            mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll be passing on that car then.

Comment

If this is the only issue with an otherwise sound car, use the issue or the clearcoat failure as a bargining point. Get estimates for repaint from reputable shops and negotiate purchase price downward to cover the cost of the repair plus a bit more for the inconvenience of having the car out of servic so soon after purchase. Not sure I would let the seller get the repair done. Might choose a real discount paint job.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');