• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL - What is the Most Important Attribute of a Wax / Sealant / LSP ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL - What is the Most Important Attribute of a Wax / Sealant / LSP ?

What is the most important attribute to you and why ? Please keep in mind, there will be lots of opinions here, so lets keep it civil
    Smell and Color
    1.41%
    Ease of Application and Removal
    22.54%
    Quality and / or Type of Protection
    74.65%
    Water Beading
    1.41%
    Cost
    0.00%
    Availability
    0.00%
    Mike Pennington
    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
    Meguiar's, Inc.
    800-854-8073
    mpennington@meguiars.com

Re: POLL - What is the Most Important Attribute of a Wax / Sealant / LSP ?

For me personally it's something that is easy to apply and remove and works with little to no issues. When working on clients cars time is of the essence and fighting with difficult waxes/sealants is not something I have time for.

If you can add durable protection along with ease of use then you have a winner in my book!

Cost is somewhat of a factor too, but if something works really well I have no problem paying good money for it.

I also like a slick feeling LSP.

Just my $.02

Rasky
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

In my case these are three most important aspects to me (in order of most to least important):

1. how it makes the paint surface look after application,
      2. how long protection lasts,
      3. ease of application/ removal.

Comment

Here is how I would rate my needs:

1.) Ease of Application and Removal

As Rasky mentioned, time is critical when performing a detail for a customer. Application and removal can impact the time needed to complete a detail.

2.) Quality on longevity

I need something that will last through multiple wash routines and other conditions while enhancing a vehicles finish.

3.) Cost

Always a concern, but if you're meeting the above requirements, I'll pay a bit extra to satisfy a customer and my own expectations.
        Don
        "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

Since I could not pick two, the most important to me is ease of application. Applying wax is hard enough, the was itsself should not make the job harder. Cost is also important. That's why I have not bought the Ultimate Wax yet, I think $22 for a wax is a bit much. I didnt like paying $16 for NXT liquid and thought that was high, but did because I loved it. i recently bought some of the NXT Paste for $12 at Wal-Mart on clearance (I think they were making room for Ultimate). And I thought that price was more on point for a can of wax. Just my opinion though. Meguiar's, $22 is just too much for a consumer line wax...

Dont get me wrong, Ill still go buy Ultimate because it seems to be getting great reviews, but I still feel that the new Ultimate product line is priced way up there. All the products arre quite a few dollars over their predecessors

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
            In my case these are three most important aspects to me (in order of most to least important):

I'm in the same boat as Greg.

The most important aspect of a LSP for me is the way it makes the paint look or shine after application. Secondly, I want my LSP to have longer lasting protection. Last but not the least, I want it to be easy to apply and remove.

I voted for the quality of protection because there's no "look/shine" option.
            2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

First would be quality and longevity, then ease of application and removal, cost

Comment

Originally posted by dixie_boysles View Post
                Since I could not pick two, the most important to me is ease of application. Applying wax is hard enough, the was itsself should not make the job harder. Cost is also important. That's why I have not bought the Ultimate Wax yet, I think $22 for a wax is a bit much. I didnt like paying $16 for NXT liquid and thought that was high, but did because I loved it. i recently bought some of the NXT Paste for $12 at Wal-Mart on clearance (I think they were making room for Ultimate). And I thought that price was more on point for a can of wax. Just my opinion though. Meguiar's, $22 is just too much for a consumer line wax...

Dont get me wrong, Ill still go buy Ultimate because it seems to be getting great reviews, but I still feel that the new Ultimate product line is priced way up there. All the products arre quite a few dollars over their predecessors
                IMO, the price of the ultimate wax is technically very comparable to the price of NXT 2.0. In Walmart, UW is only 19.99 and you get a free microfiber towel...
                2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Ease of application.

If it does not apply/remove very easily & leaves behind residue then I will just throw it in the trash.
                  Nick
                  Tucker's Detailing Services
                  815-954-0773
                  2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

For me it's all about the shine and ease of use. I don't care if I need to reapply every month. I want protection from bird droppings and the like for that month but I don't need or want a wax or sealant that lasts for 6 months or more.
                    Jim
                    My Gallery

Comment

For me, it would probably be:

(1) Quality and/or type of protection. I don't mind if it is a little more difficult to use or isn't quite as slick as other products if it is very durable and resistant to outdoor "issues" that I personally encounter. Example: Collinite 476.

(2) Ease of application and removal. I don't like using really fussy products. If I want to throw a coat of wax on my car, then I want to enjoy doing it, not have to work to get there. Example: Pinnacle Signature Series II.

(3) Water beading. What can I say - I love my beads! Although I don't mind sheeting waxes either. Example: Detailer's Pro Series Poli-Coat Paint Sealant.

Smell and color are not real big factors for me but an added plus if they smell and look nice - most of my sealants have a chemical smell to them, but most of my waxes smell nice - I'm more concerned with performance. Cost - again, not a big factor. I have LSP's ranging from $11 (Duragloss 105) to $175 (Wolfgang Fuzion). I don't mind spending the money if I think it's worth it. Availability - don't really care, as I get 99% of my products and tools online anyway.
                      Shane
                      1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post

x2

Comment

Thanks Mike for asking our opinion on things like this. It's really amazing how much Meguiars is directly in touch with it's customers.

Really hard to narrow it down to one specific aspect...but I picked Quality as the most important thing...for what it's worth I ranked the other choices with some comments:
                          1. Quality & type of protection - meaning...when I'm done with waxing the car...I want it to look like it was just waxed. Something that visually makes a difference. So it would be the amount of shine and ability of the wax to hide tiny scratches.
                          2. Ease of application and Removal - if I have to work to get a wax to apply to surface just right or else results wouldn't be good - I probably won't use the wax. I want something that doesn't throw up a road block in the process of detailing a car. Nothing gets me more frustrated than creating a problem where there shouldn't be one.
                          3. Smell and Color - I'm not going to lie, I enjoy smelling new products when they come out. I don't know why. But that's something that I always do...before I even use the wax. The smell of the wax does add to the experience of waxing a car. It throws in another "sense" to the detailing equation. I hope Meguiars never stops making unique scents to all of it's products. As far as the color...it doesn't matter much to me.
                          4. Water Beading - It's always nice to see. Mostly just an indicator that the wax is still there.
                          5. Cost - only if prices get totally out of hand. If I have to pay $30 for a 16oz. bottle of wax....I probably would pass on it. I think $20 is the absolute top end of price per bottle for me.
                          6. Availability - I think this is pretty much a non-issue these days...if a product is being made..there's usually an on-line retailer selling it.

Comment

As an enthusiast, in this order:
                            1. Made by Meguiar's
                            2. Quality and / or Type of Protection
                            3. Water Beading
                            4. Ease of Application and Removal
                            5. Availability
                            6. Cost
                            7. Smell and Color

My "customers" and I want durability that looks good.

Quality is often judged by beading.

As an enthusiast, I have the needed tools for difficult.
                            As a consumer, I may not have many tools. Prefer easy on/easy off.

A consumer needs it at WalMart and relatively inexpensive, I may not.

It's in a sealed, opaque bottle hard to judge. Would I be offended by odor, maybe. Color needs to dry reflective and transparent.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            David

Comment

I go with protection and quality as I keep my cars a long, long time.
                              Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                              by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');