• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aerodynamics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerodynamics

In the world of "wanna be" tuners, much thought is placed on the size and gaudiness of the rear wing. People seem to be so concerned with the air that flows over their trunk/rear deck, that they've forgotten that disruptive air also flows UNDERNEATH their cars.

In my quest for cheap (read as: DIY, home made) stuff, I cruised the net looking for anything I could find on automotive aerodynamics.

On thing I found that has been largely overlooked was the simple front airdam. The airdam deflects air from going under the car and prevents (diminishes) it's tendency to create lift and instability underneath the car.

Just for fun, I made a very cheap (let's see how this works) larger than stock (wider and deeper) airdam.

The big white thing is a peice of PVC being used as a scoop for a functional ramair setup (which has since been changed) and the ends of the airdam (yes, that's 1/4" plywood) were extended with aluminum flashing to go from wheelwell to wheelwell.

The first thing I noticed was that (on the highway) the front end of the car seemed heavier, and A LOT more stable. The second thing I noticed was that getting caught behind a semi no longer threw my car into a turbulance-induced jiggling frenzy.

The setup has been damaged slightly during the winter (never intended it to be a snow plow) but it was a temporary setup to begin with so no big deal. I plan on rebuilding it with better materials when it's warm enough outside to lay on the ground under the car for a while.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

What vehicle is in on?

Comment

This car

Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"
      2013 Camaro ... triple black
      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

The first thing I noticed was that (on the highway) the front end of the car seemed heavier, and A LOT more stable. The second thing I noticed was that getting caught behind a semi no longer threw my car into a turbulance-induced jiggling frenzy.
        the third thing you should of notice was how much fuel it took to keep you there. Its like driving with your parachute out.

want to control the air under you car ? make it as flat and smooth as possible underneath. **** those tires in about 3/4 of an inch on each side and flair the front fenders out on the leading edge and contour the trailing edge in so it will crate a higher vacuum in the wheel well and engine compartment drop her to the ground. jeeze it might be cheaper to go down to charlotte north Carolina and look up Jack Roush(sp) and buy one of his old cars.

looking for a good example?????would be the lamberguni testrarosa at 200 mph it can be inverted and still hold it self to the road DON'T try that with your chevy lumina please!!

have fun with it.
        Rich
        Rich
        If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
        DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

well in my opinion a Car tuner is someone who makes his Car faster with adding bolt on and replacements of OEM stock stuff of the engine.

I guess U have 3 groups

group 1: Tuners who are only interested in the engine, NOS, NX, Turbo, camshafts, just the engine tune up stuff..

Group 2: OPTIC tuners, just making the body optical more attractive to people for shows but not necesarily an engine upgrade or tune up process. sow they are fixed on paint finishes and the looks of it... (people like us)

Group 3: a Mix of the first 2 groups (people with a lot of money in their pockets... that`s what i trying to be but first I have to win the lottery for tuning up my engine

Here in Holland they don`t seem to know the difference between a Cartuner (mostly optic..bodyworks and stuff) and a streetracer..(not lookin good cars but very Fast cars with a engine withover 300Bhp) so the police is taking down every group of tuners down here...

well this is my objective opinion from the Netherlands

I own a tuning team in the Netherlands look on www.hondamatics.nl

a tuning team for Honda driven people in the Netherlands...

most people try to find a good midway between the 2 groups of TUNERS... a good lokkin sportive Car with a nice paint finish and an properly tuned up Engine.
          Last edited by Vandelete; Apr 22, 2004, 05:28 AM.

Comment

yea i 2nd that! i go for a mix of go and show! if u dont u there will always be someone that has something bad to say about your car. Ex- Nice bodykit but its slow or its fast but it looks like trash!
            2000 Dodge Neon

Comment

You know I think Don hit on something when he used PVC to grab air down it front. All this time I was under the understanding that is "dirty air" No really dirty air with silt and sand from the road, but I just saw a kit to add on to the K&N cold air kit that did the same thing...

Things that make ya say Hmmm!

go figure
              Rich
              If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
              DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');