• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint-safe, wax-safe pre-wash product?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint-safe, wax-safe pre-wash product?

Hi guys,

To preface, I tried the search function (using a handful of combinations) with little luck.

Has anybody heard of (or is currently using) a product that can be used to pre-treat your car that's safe for (clear coat) paint and wax (i.e. it won't strip wax)?

I'm looking for something that can be used on a regular basis - - in other words, whenever I wash my car, whether it's every few days or every week or every 2 weeks.

I'm thinking of something to how Paul Dalton (sp?...the UK guy who charges an arm and two legs) uses in his pump sprayer at the outset of his detailing process. I'm looking at doing something similar (i.e. having a product that you can perhaps dilute and apply with a hand-pump sprayer).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK7DWeMZyFQ <-- he talks about (and uses) it from 0:44-1:00.

I've tried google and have perused Autogeek and ADS for something similar but have come up with no luck.

I think I've heard of a product from CG *shrug*...citrus wash somethinaruther?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

Re: Paint-safe, wax-safe pre-wash product?

Any of Meguiar's car shampoos would fit the bill for you.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

I'm pretty sure the product Paul is using in that portion of the video is P21S Total Auto Wash. You can find it on Autogeek's website.
      Shane
      1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

You could use Meguiar's Body Solvent as your pre-wash. It's safe on all types of paint surfaces.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Aikmel: I apoligize - - I should've given more info. I was interested in a product whose sole (or main) purpose is for pre-treating the body of the car. Thanks for the reply though.

Ciera: Thank you for the info. I was actually going to put in an order by this Friday to take advantage of the Memorial Day deal(s).

Greg: Thanks for the tip...I was thinking of using Meg's BS

Comment

Jeff, you did specify that you wanted something that would not strip the wax, right? I would imagine that both P21S Total Body Wash and Megs' Body Solvent will effectively remove all or at least some (most?) of your wax. If a product is strong enough to clean engines, as is Total Body Wash, then it's strong enough to remove car wax. So the question is, what precisely do you want to accomplish?

Many professionals pre-treat their cars by using a foam wand, attached to their pressure washer. They allow the foam to sit for a couple of minutes, hose off and then proceed to wash the car like normal.

Some folks who use Optimum No Rinse like to spray on ONR on the car first before actually washing the car with ONR. I don't see why ONR could not be used as a pre-rinse before ordinary car washing--spray it on, let it sit, hose off and then wash.
            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
            --Al Kimel

Comment

Great point - - you're exactly right: I'm looking for something that won't strip wax and can be used as a pre-treater.

I currently don't have a power washer or a foam wand/gun. I was hoping to do it the cheapest way possible.

I've never used either P21S T.B.W. or Meg's BS so I was unsure of their 'properties' so to speak (i.e. whether they are safe for wax or if they will, in fact, remove most/all of my wax).

I'll keep searching and thanks for the tips/info.

Comment

The closest thing I could think of would be Last Touch. I somewhat use it for this purpose at times as it offers great lubricity and also is a great catalyst for removing dried polish, compounds, etc.

I am just not sure it will offer a lot of cleaning power just sitting there compared to an all-purpose cleaner, for example. I think most products that do what you want would also compromise the wax/sealant, unfortunately.

Comment

When I used traditional washes before switching to waterless systems, I used a bottle of car wash and a foaming sprayer or even a regular sprayer to pretreat the car. Did a fine job.
                  Tedrow's Detailing
                  845-642-1698
                  Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Jeff, I watched the video and am now wondering why you want to to do a pre-rinse. Dalton is using a citrus degreaser, perhaps something like P21S Total Body Wash, to get the car as clean as possible. He's not worried about preserving the wax on the car, as he is doing a full detail, completed with a coat of wax or two.

Given that you are not doing a full detail, wouldn't pre-spraying the car with your preferred car shampoo do the trick for you? What more are you looking for?

If your concern is doing everything you can do not to instill swirls, then I suggest that you check out Accumulator's Non-Marring Wash Technique and Supe's Wash Method. Most of us, though, are content to just do the two bucket method.
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

Yes, pre-spraying with Meg's gold class would work for my needs. In all honesty, I wanted to pick the collective brain of the users to see if there was any product that was a combo of (1) pre-soak/pre-rinse and (2) won't strip wax. Plus, since I'm from Canada we get a limited amount of detailing supplies from a handful of companies available to purchase in store (my point is that I figured the Americans, as I presume most users are from there, would be exposed to more products).

As you (and others above) have mentioned, there are a variety of products out there that one can use to pre-soak that either strip wax or don't strip wax (i.e. shampoo in foam gun; shampoo in spray bottle or pump sprayer; Meg's Body Solvent; P21S Total Body Wash).

I think for now I'll stick with continuing to use the 2-bucket method or pre-spraying with a gold class/water mixture...that'll work well for my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by DJJeffMills View Post
                        In all honesty, I wanted to pick the collective brain of the users to see if there was any product that was a combo of (1) pre-soak/pre-rinse and (2) won't strip wax.
                        The only other product I can think of that might fit this criteria is Poorboy's World Bug Squash. While it will not remove all the wax right away, it will shorten the life of it. Just something to consider.
                        Shane
                        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

For my paint-safe, wax-safe pre-wash product I use Poly's XL in either a spray bottle for spot prep or my Detailing Caddy for larger areas that need prep. I also use it for my 100% rinseless services when eco-friendly washing or no waste water discharge is the only option.

And for the ultimate shine afterwards nothing but Meguiar's Xpress Spray Wax will do for the ultimate shine!

Just thought I would share what works for me.....
                          David M. Sylican
                          Innovative Detailing
                          Headlight Lens Restoral
                          Detailing Caddy
                          Join us on Facebook

Comment

Thanks David (that SRT-10 looks hot)

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');