• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reusing Microfiber Towels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reusing Microfiber Towels

This is something I've always wondered so I figured I would go ahead and ask.

Once a microfiber towel is washed correctly (washing machine) after being dropped and touching the ground, is it safe to use again for waxing/polishing/buffing, or does it need to be thrown out?

Re: Reusing Microfiber Towels

I'm interested to see what others have to say about this.

Sometimes my microfibers get bits of leaves, etc in them (even if they haven't been dropped) and even after several washings bits of the leaves or other debris are still visible in the microfibers. I could probably pick it out piece by piece but that would take forever. So I just put those in a separate plastic bin to be used on things other than the paint or glass.

This means that I tend to go through a lot, so I buy them in bulk at Sams Club probably 2-3 times a year.

Comment

I've found my microfibers come quite clean after a machine wash with warm water and a cycle through the drier on low.
      2011 F150 5.0L 4x4

Comment

I usually wash them by hand and it gets all the dirt out

i then just hang dry

Comment

I reuse mine all the time. no problems here

Comment

I think the answer is...it depends.

Generally washing does a great job of cleaning the microfibers. But, if it has been dropped and gotten lots of fiber like crud in it, that remains after washing...I would move the microfiber to being used for something other than paint (like on the interior) where you are not worried about scratches.

Sometimes stuff gets caught between the fibers and does not come out well. You definitely don't want that to be used on your paint.
            -Bob
            NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Cant throw out my Supreme Shines and Ult. Wipes every time... I try to lay them on clean towels on the table, and pick out stuff if I have to.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

NO; throw them out. Even better - send them to me and I will dispose of them.
                Art Layton
                2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

Mine are color-coded for its use; dark colors for the "dirtier" parts of the vehicle, and lighter colors for the more sensitive areas. I keep them in small plastic tubs with the purpose marked on the side& lid. I also poked a few holes in the lid for air, so they stay dry (you don't want mold/mildew/etc.) I also keep some in large zip-lok bags for long-term storage (buy some when you find them on sale.)
                  Drive resposibly.
                  Rock music.

Comment

Throw away a magic rag? Never! I've only dropped one maybe once or twice, but I just shake them out thoroughly, crumple/fold them differently, or put that one aside, and I wash them pretty regularly. Using different colors helps a lot. I got two sets of the blue, brown and white ones from advance auto, and a yellow amazing one comes with the Meg's clay kit. So, I use browns for brake dusty wheels or removing product after the DA, blues for drying clean surfaces or buffing, whites for finishing products or buffing, and the yellow one from Meg's only for QD and QW.
                    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                    First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Same here. Blue car, blue microfiber for body panels. White or yellow for windows. Gray for wheels. Green for interior surfaces.

Originally posted by Guitar280Z View Post
                      Mine are color-coded for its use; dark colors for the "dirtier" parts of the vehicle, and lighter colors for the more sensitive areas. I keep them in small plastic tubs with the purpose marked on the side& lid. I also poked a few holes in the lid for air, so they stay dry (you don't want mold/mildew/etc.) I also keep some in large zip-lok bags for long-term storage (buy some when you find them on sale.)

Comment

I just dropped one last night. I have a wash basin in the garage, so I rinsed it with water, added a tiny bit of dish soap and lightly scrubbed it using a toothbrush, rinsed it, and put in the laundry to wash with all the other microfiber towels. I have 4 sets (color coded): drying, detailing, engine, and interior. Always wash drying and detailing apart from the engine and interior.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');