• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini Coopers at Meguiar's NXT Garage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tape off smoothly??

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    Here's Brian helping another member tape their car off,
    Hi guys,
    I'd like to know what is the best way to tape off the trims before waxing. As seen in the photo, the taping is so perfect in the wheel arch and the top of windshield (both are in a curve). I can never do this perfect by myself. Since I'm doing it all by myself, I find it hard to straighten the tape in a curve without making a mess.
    Anyone out there got some tips for tapping that can be share??
    Thanks in advance
    Stephen

Comment

best way is to stick the outside edge first, I hold the tape in one hand and stick with the other, on curves if you only stick the otside first the inside will kinda bunch up and let it make the turn. Make sure the tape you are using is not to wide or it will be to hard to make the curve. I think we were using 1" or 1/2" tape, either should be fine.
      If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

Thanks for the tip but I don't quite get the idea of the "outside"edge. Lets take the wheel arch as an example, which side is the 'outside' -- the side attached to the body panel or the other side?? By the way, I find the paint tape is not sticky enough to keep the tape on the trim. Whenever the pad touches it, it tends to peel off right away. Any specific brand is better? I know 3M has different adhersive levels but I'm not dare to use the highest one which is in blue.
        Cheers
        Stephen

Comment

I meant the edge against the paint. Keep in mind if you use a trim dressing on your trim the chances of the tape sticking are slim to none. We use 3m painters blue tape, works really well.

Your problem may be that you have dressing on the trim stopping it from sticking and your technique might be fine
          If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

You are absolutely right I used #40 on all the trims.
            So shall I clean the trims before taping then?? I'll try some 3M blue tape tomorrow.
            Cheers
            Stephen

Comment

Mike,
              On the Mini's I see that you used #83 and then went straight to NXT wax. Is there a reason why you did this? Would you suggest this for a vehical with minor scratches?
              Sugar Bear

Comment

Originally posted by sugarbear
                Mike,
                On the Mini's I see that you used #83 and then went straight to NXT wax. Is there a reason why you did this? Would you suggest this for a vehical with minor scratches?
                Each car is different, I have been able to 'work' the DACP to where I haven't needed a milder polish before my LSP, and (for me) that happens quite often. But there will always be cases where you will have to follow up DACP with a milder polish to eliminate some remaining fine swirls.

It's up to you, what you have to ask yourself is: "Does the finish meet MY standards?"
                Don
                12/27/2015
                "Darth Camaro"
                2013 Camaro ... triple black
                323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Hi sugarbear,

Don pretty much summed it up, some paint types polish up easier and with less steps than others, I would say primarily softer paint over harder paints. After the #83 step, we evaluated the results and the finish was clear and glossy, ready for wax. It would not have hurt to went over the car with a secondary polishing step, but at this point it was an option, so we chose to go right to the protection step.

Mike
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Don & Mike,
                    With the storms and all of the rain coming our way, any step I can skip and still produce the same results is very helpful. I have been reading MOL for several weeks and have learned so much. Thanks to all.
                    Sugar Bear

Comment

Re: Mini Coopers at Meguiar's NXT Garage!

It's kinda cool to see all the changes that Meguiar's Garage has undergone through the years. Keep up the good work!
                      Last edited by Erik Mejia; Dec 17, 2008, 01:59 PM. Reason: Typo
                      Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

Somewhere there are some pretty good pictures of the old classroom before it was enlarged...

HUGE CHANGE & IMPROVEMENT

Even harder to believe we fit 49 people into the Rolls Royce Class here which was the largest Saturday Class we've ever had so far.

Southern California Rolls Royce Club at Meguiar's - July 10th, 2004

The question came up, "Should a black car be waxed?", apparently one Rolls Royce owner with a black Rolls Royce was told by a car salesman that black cars should not be waxes?

Meguiar's believes that any car exposed to the outdoors, and especially a daily driver, should have a protective coating of wax applied three to four times a year to maintain and preserve the finish. Not only does a quality car wax protect the finish, but it also adds richness, gloss and beauty, and in the case of a fine car like a Rolls Royce, a beautiful finish showcases the exquisite design of these landmark automobiles.

Below we are taking a temperature reading on the hood of a black Rolls Royce, at approximately 9:30am, the temperature on this car was in the 120 degree to 130 degree range. Around the temperature can rise as high 140 degrees and even higher.

Couldn't find a picture of this club while they were in the classroom... it was a big class though...

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I miss the Neon Sign which read "Meguiar's" in that Garage.
                          Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Mejia View Post
                            I miss the Neon Sign which read "Meguiar's" in that Garage.

Yeah those neon signs were pretty cool but they were easily broken.

This is the first thread on this forum even though it's thread #5 (Look at the URL Address)

Threads #1, #2, #3, and #4 were deleted when we were bringing the forum up because they said,

Test Post

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Pretty cool....

10 year Anniversary....

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');