• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting over...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting over...

Hi guys some here may know me from other sites..I'm looking to get a run down of what I need to buy to start over..I'm currently a Zaino user "Zanoid" as RP likes to call us and Griots garage products too....A memeber of my car club is a Meguiars rep.. www.lmmc-ct.com Who is going to be doing a NXT garage day for us..Anyway my paint isn't too bad ..Surface scratches in the clear but thats about it..I do work on other cars with bigger problems..So I kinda would like a good all around line of products that should be on my garage shelves...i want to go with the NXT line for me and regular meguiars for other cars...have at it....
    Last edited by NAMELESS; Feb 1, 2004, 12:32 PM.

Hey man. Glad to see you found your way over beyond the dark side. :p

Zaino seems to be a decent product but, I never bought into the hype... especially after giving it a fair shake back over the summer. It fell short of all the expectations that I had based on what many had said about it. I just came right back to my old stand by... Meguiar's.

A company with over 100 years of rich tradition... something must be right.

RP
    -The Final Detail-
    Lagrange, Kentucky
    thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Ohhhh, cut it out ...You M junky ...ha ha...

Comment

Hey RP can you give me that run down again I deleted the wrong email from you !!

Anyone...anyone..?

Comment

It seems most of us prefer the Pro line, so the basics would be:

1) DACP #83

2) Swirl Free Polish #82 OR High Tech Swirl Remover #9

3) #7 Show Car Glaze OR #81 Professional Hand Polish

4) From here you have your sealants #20/Medalion/NXT

These are just some basic suggestions based on some of the more popular products
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"
          2013 Camaro ... triple black
          323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Re: Starting over...

Originally posted by NAMELESS
            Hi guys some here may know me from other sites. I'm looking to get a run down of what I need to buy to start over. I'm currently a Zaino user "Zanoid" as RP likes to call us and Griot’s garage products too....A member of my car club is a Meguiar’s rep.. www.lmmc-ct.com Who is going to be doing a NXT garage day for us. Anyway my paint isn't too bad ..Surface scratches in the clear but that’s about it. I do work on other cars with bigger problems. So I kind of would like a good all around line of products that should be on my garage shelves...i want to go with the NXT line for me and regular Meguiar’s for other cars...have at it....
            Hi Nameless,

First a couple of questions

1) When you work on your car's paint, do you do it all by hand, or do you use any machines to help you such as the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher?

2) Are you working on a Clear Coat?

3) Have you ever used any of the products in the Professional line?

Mike

p.s.

What's the name of your Meguiar's rep?
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi ! His name is Jeremy from CT. I don't have his last name. I can get it if you need it ...I've only met him once ..he drives a black Meguiars Expedition. He's planning a Garage day this spring for us..I use a Porta Cable D.A. ..I'm VERY comfortable using it..My truck has a clear but I will be working on other cars that don't..I've been dtailing cars on the side for years..Mostly my cars and other people I know,not really for money..I don't have the time..I'm pretty interested in geting with a complete line that I don't need to shop around for..Some stuff I won't be running out of any time soon ..Like Tire dressing and wheel cleaner..I have 5 gallon containers of each..I'm interested in the Pro line...Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by NAMELESS
                Hi ! His name is Jeremy from CT. I don't have his last name. I can get it if you need it ...I've only met him once ..he drives a black Meguiar’s Expedition. He's planning a Garage day this spring for us.
                His name is Jeremy Harding and he is a Certified Car Crazy team member here at Meguiar’s. I have had a couple of e-mail contact with him today already.

I use a Porter Cable D.A. ..I'm VERY comfortable using it.
                Good! The Porter Cable Dual Action polisher is an awesome tool and will greatly help you to take the cars you detail to their maximum potential.

My truck has a clear but I will be working on other cars that don’t.
                Are you sure about that? Most cars made in the last 10 – 20 years have a clear coat. In the big picture it doesn’t matter too much, just as long as you know going into the detail what your working on.

I’ve been detailing cars on the side for years. Mostly my cars and other people I know, not really for money. I don't have the time.
                Lots of full time detailers started out this way, including me.

I’m pretty interested in getting with a complete line that I don't need to shop around for.
                Meguiar’s offers a very complete line as you probably already know. Best of all, by sticking with Meguiar’s, you can work inside one line of products which means excellent chemical compatibility, plus your friends and customers will recognize the Meguiar’s name and reputation instilling trust in you and your professional approach.

Some stuff I won't be running out of any time soon. Like Tire dressing and wheel cleaner. I have 5-gallon containers of each.
                This is a good start, make sure you get the matching silk-screened spray bottles with the appropriate spray heads for easy identification and safety. If you ever open a real business, OSHA will require labeled containers.

I’m interested in the Pro line...Thanks
                Since your using the PC, I would pick up a case of M-8332 Dual Action Cleaner Polish. Together with Meguiar’s W-8006 yellow foam polishing pads you will be able to tackle just about anything that comes your way. Any finish that requires more aggressive products and procedures will probably mean graduating to the rotary buffer. If you decide to do this, you can either order our new How To Remove Paint Defects video , or watch it online here

As for a finishing wax I would recommend Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

For dressing exterior rubber, vinyl and plastic trim, get yourself a 32 ounce bottle of M-3832 Trim Dressing Gel, this is a long lasting conditioning protectant in a thick rich gel formula. It contains patented Antiozonants to keep rubber from turning brown. Easy to apply and versatile.

For leather interiors, you can’t beat Medallion Premium Leather Care in the Professional line, or D-4501 Leather Cleaner & Conditioner in the Detailer line.

For interior and exterior vinyl (and rubber too), is a very popular favorite of mine and many other detailers also, Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner

For a car wash soap that cleans really well without harming, dulling, or drying out a vehicles paint or exterior components, I like D-21 Car Wash Soap and for cars that you have already detailed and are in good to excellent condition, Wash 'N Wax is a great maintenance wash.

You might also want to include an odor eliminator to remove unwanted odors inside the car and the trunk areas like M-2301 Odor Eliminator. This product encapsulates and eliminates odors permanently.

Don’t forget to stock up on plenty of wax pads and microfiber polishing cloths too.

This should get you started!

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey Mike,

What about the spray heads for the sildkscreen bottles (sold separately)?

RamAirV1
                  2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

O.K. So I need to order SOON..!!!

I'm looking at M83 1gal jug..
                    #26 1gal
                    NXT a couple bottles

What else am I missing? I might need something rougher than 83 at some point..
                    Is 83 and #26 fine for most app's I'm pretty pickey...The cars i'll be doing are not "customers" ..More like family cars..All new with in 4 years..Except my beater Honda 92..White..

What do you suggest for a quick detailer spray..Also used for clay lube..

Size pads for the PC 6.5 or 8 so theres a larger surface..

i don't need tire/vinyl spray..or wheel cleaner..

You guys are a big help...
                    Meguiars is pretty confusing for me..

P.S. I guess Jeremy doesn't do sales? So he can't really help me..?
                    I gotta order through the site..

Comment

That list of products is a good start.

You may want to add some #81 Hand Polish to use on dark colored cars and maybe some #80 for freshly painted cars and cars that don't need #83.

RamAirV1
                      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

great keep the ideas comeing..

Comment

Products

You should request a PRO line catalog which shows all the products and respective part numbers so when you order from your Meguiars distributor, you are ording the correct item.

Also, get some 8oz squeeze bottles to apply products.

I've found good spray heads from believe it or not, Wal-mart. They had the heavy duty Rubbermaid ones like Griots uses. Also, Home Depot carries heavy-duty spray heads and containers.

I'll tell you, #83 DACP with a good polish pad or cutting pad if finish is really bad is one great product to start getting used to. Let it break down and see the results! At times, you may have a slight haze or lack of gloss from the use of it, but a quick pass of SFP and #81 Hand Polish or Machine Glaze and your finish will be stunning! Prior to NXT, for QD product, I've used Final Detail, which is a bit different than Final Inspection as it's in the Detailer line of Meguiars.

PADS PADS PADS.... Never can have too many! Between Meguiars an LC pads all depends on products being used.

Due to weather, I've yet to apply NXT to the Lexus SC430, but will soon!

Yes, I use Zaino. Have been for some time, but always willing to try new items. I've found Zaino topped with Souveran looked really nice.

I may try the Zaino way of applying NXT; spray the finish and pad with the Booster-Wax prior to NXT wax application. Just like using Z6 prior to applying Zaino Z5 or Z2.

Regards,

Deanski

Comment

The Spray Booster Wax is more of a quick wax product rather than a quick detailer. I myself would stick with the Final Detail as a QD, or even #34 FI if it is a prewax application.

Thanks for the tips on the sprayers and spray bottles.

"PADS, PADS, PADS, you can never had to many!" How true! I procrastinated and didn't clean my pads from the last 2 polish and wax jobs. Now I have a new car and no clean pads to use. I'll have to start by hand unless I find a secret stash of clean pads somewhere. Fortunately I have few swirls and NXT is easy to use by hand.

RamAirV1
                            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Where do you guys order from to get supplies?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');