• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vinyl stripes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vinyl stripes

I just had some vinyl stripes put on my car that are rated for 6 years. I love the look but I'm afraid if I leave them on for that long when they do come off the paint under them will be a lot brighter than the rest of the car. How hard would it be to polish that out and what would you use? If its going to be hard to fix I might just go ahead and take them off.

Re: vinyl stripes

anybody?

Comment

Hard to say really...

And you cant polish out the paint under the stripes... You have to keep the rest of the paint in good shape, so it doesnt lose its color as much.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I had a friend that put stripes on his bright red car and after about 4 years he peeled them off. There was a distinct difference in the paint afterwards and it seemed that the vinyl had protected the paint underneath. The other sections were a little less bright and no wax helped at all.
        Old enough to know better, still too young to care.

Comment

What you will have is 6 years of UV induced fading to the entire car and original paint underneath. So if you ever plan on removing the stripes, the colors underneath won't match. But on the other hand, I had dealer installed stripes on my 1998 Civic that never came off and still looked good after 13 years. Driver side was a little more worn than the passenger , but not enought to remove them.
          Greg D.

2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Imperial Blue
          2008 Chevy Suburban LT - Black

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');