• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smooth surface clay tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth surface clay tips

I'm buying the smooth surface clay kit this week and I need some tips on how to use it and any other tips also if the clay is full of stuff won't it scratch the paint

Re: Smooth surface clay tips

There are a lot of useful articles here in MOL.

Here's a Meguiar's Quik Tips Video about claying:
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Not much to it really. Use plenty of lube. You can cut the clay into small pieces, and reuse it... but you'll use a good bit of the QD bottle each time.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

1. Form a clay paddy about the width of your fingers.
        2. Position the clay just above your palm but below your fingertips.
        3. Work small areas at a time - about 2 feet square.
        4. When you spray the surface with quick detailer or other lube, give a small spray to the surface of the clay paddy as well.
        5. If the clay hits the ground, save it (you can use it to clay your windows later on) and break off another piece. The clay that comes with the kit should yield about 3-4 pieces.
        6. Slow down on the vertical surfaces like the doors and fenders and bumper covers. This is where most folks new to the process tend to lose the clay as it grabs at the paint.

Comment

How big should the pieces be that I break from the original bar

Comment

I think you get two pieces in the Smooth Surface Clay Kit. I break them in half.

You could also work over some paper or cardboard incase you do drop it.

I dunno if i would clay my windows with clay from the ground.... wheels maybe.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

It's really what you find is the most comfortable. I use the whole bar, but if ripping it in half is more comfortable and working better than go for it! You'll feel as you begin to do the process, the clay will feel smoother/slipperier and you know it's time to move on to another section. You'll find on the flat surfaces (hood, trunk, roof) that the clay will become dirtier and you may need to take more time on these parts. As long as you use enough lubricant, it's really very idiot proof! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');