• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little confused about steps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little confused about steps

Hi Guys. So once I wash my car and then clay bar it, do i need to use a paint cleaner before I use a polish, and then wax? Or can I skip the paint cleaner?? Also, would the paint cleaner be used all over or just on parts that need it? Anyone who can clear this up, I would greatly appreciate it!! thanks!

Re: A little confused about steps

Welcome to Meguiar's Online.

5-Step paint care:

1. Wash/ Clay (if needed, if bonded contaminants present on paint surface)
    2. Cleaning
    3. Polishing (optional step)
    4. Protection/ Waxing
    5. Maintain - keep your paint surface in good shape by using quick detailer and spray wax.

If you clay your vehicle and use a pre-wax cleaner then you'll ensure better bonding between wax and your paint surface resulting in longer protection.

Polishing is an optional step and mostly rewarding on dark colored cars by adding wet-look effect. It's not necessary to do it but if you're willing to perform full 3-step paint correction you can include polishing step.

Paint cleaner goes first, before paint polish, but if you just have isolated problems then just use it on those areas. ScratchX 2.0 is an excellent paint cleaner for those isolated problems.

Comment

I see. Thank you for clearing that up!!

Comment

A product like Ultimate Polish or SwirlX will have cleaning ability and polishing oils, so you still get the oils for your paint to stay healthy, etc.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by ahs483 View Post
          Hi Guys. So once I wash my car and then clay bar it, do i need to use a paint cleaner before I use a polish, and then wax? Or can I skip the paint cleaner?? Also, would the paint cleaner be used all over or just on parts that need it? Anyone who can clear this up, I would greatly appreciate it!! thanks!
          It really depends on the condition of your paint. If you have a lot of defects/swirls/scratches then using a paint cleaner is a good idea to remove below the surface defects and prep it up for your polishing/waxing steps. If your paint is swirl free or has very minimal amount of swirls then it would be ok to skip the paint cleaner and apply your pure polish or even skip to the wax.
          2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

What is general paint cleaner? what is the difference between cleaning and polishing?

Comment

The 'general' paint cleaners would be something mild like SwirLX or Ult. Polish.

Different companies use different terms so it can get confusing. We try to stick with the Meguiars terms here of course. That would mean:

- Cleaning - A paint cleaner will remove the dirt from the pores/imperfections of the paint, and if strong enough, can remove swirls, scratches, etc.
              - Polishing - A polish will add oils to the surface to moisturize the paint, and temporarily help fill imperfections to create more gloss.

Comment

hi im new to the forum and i also have a question about this subject. so i understand the steps cleaning, polishing etc. but do u have to do all these steps everytime you wash or just before waxing is involved ? thanks i hope someone can help i just would like to think its not necessary to spend hours of labor everytime you clean your vehichles

Comment

No, if you just wash, you just wash.

You could just use a good car wash soap like Gold Class, and stop there. Or you could use something like the Ultimate Wash and Wax to add some wax back.

Or you could use a soap like the Gold Class, and then use a spray wax like the Ult. Spray Wax after.

Comment

I'll chime in with a few inquiries too.

Once all the steps are complete, would you repeat this process in full monthy or every few months or could you wash polish and wax over the previous full detail?

My car is new. I've purchased the Ultimate compound, and Ultimate polish. Is the Ultimate compound too much for new car paint? I certainly don't want to damage the paint.

Comment

Once all the steps are complete, would you repeat this process in full monthy or every few months or could you wash polish and wax over the previous full detail?
                      Well, you could do a full detail every week (and a few people do), but that would drive most of us crazy. If you wash every week or so, and use a spray wax after, your 'full detail' should last a couple months at least. And then you can polish and wax again when you feel like it.

My car is new. I've purchased the Ultimate compound, and Ultimate polish. Is the Ultimate compound too much for new car paint? I certainly don't want to damage the paint
                      Well, I wouldnt use UC if it wasnt needed. What sort of damage/defects does the paint have right now?

Comment

You only need to clean and polish the paint as necessary. When you don't have any defects to remove, you can do the following to your car:
                        1. Quick Detail your car to remove light dust. You can use Ultimate Quik Detailer.
                        2. Wash your car using any of Meguiar's car soap.
                        3. Wash and Quik Wax your car. You can use Ultimate Quik Wax.
                        4. Wash and wax your car. You can use Ultimate Wax, NXT 2.0 or any wax you like.

Claying is used when you have bonded surface contaminants. If your paint is rough and you don't have swirls/defects, then you can just wash --> clay --> wax.

The Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish is used when you have swirls and defects in your paint. Ultimate Compound is more aggressive than Ultimate Polish. What that means is that UC will remove more severe defects than Ultimate Polish. If your car has very minor defects then you might get away with UP especially since it's a new car. But if your car has severe swirls then UC might be needed. Ultimate Compounded is clear coat safe.

Comment

I have noticed that the hood has holograms. I've also seen some very fine scratches in some areas from settled dust being wiped off I guess. The car is new, but is a left over 2011 model so who knows what happened while sitting on the lot for a year.

Comment

Can you please post a picture?

If your hood has holograms from a rotary buffer, it'll be best to start with Ultimate Compound and use Ultimate Polish afterwards.

The best way to find out what will work best is for you to try the products yourself in a small test spot. Using what product depends on the paint itself on top of various other factors.

Comment

No need to re-do everything that often.

If the surface is maintained well, the use of a 'compound' can be a once a year (if even that) job.

Polish/Wax every 3 months or so. That is really your call, do ya want to do it.

Using something like Ultimate Quik Wax after washing will do wonders for keeping things looking good.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');