• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Petroleum Distillates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petroleum Distillates

*Disclosure* I am not knocking Meguiar's in any way. I will continue to use there FINE PRODUCTS. I am just wondering about the following!!
    Okay, so I was out washing my truck yesterday and I got all done with the body and then I went back and washed the tires, rims and wheel wells. I was drying off the tires and I noticed some small cracks about a inch above the rims(on the side wall of the tire and all the way around). I called up Michelin and I am waiting for a call back from a rep. My question is this, Is Meguiar's tire dressing safe for tires? Does Meguiar's tire dressing products have Petroleum Distillates and if they do, what is the risk's involved? There are only 4 tire dressing manufactures that make tire dressings that are approved by Michelin to be safe for there tires and none of them contain Petroleum Distillates. Please fill me in with some truthful information, thanks!

Re: Petroleum Distillates

I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine a manufacturer manufacturing a product that would compromise the integrity of something as important as your car's tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Bye View Post
      I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine a manufacturer manufacturing a product that would compromise the integrity of something as important as your car's tires.
      Well that is kinda my way of thinking too, but I know "other brands"(we all know what they are) make tire dressings and they do contain Petroleum Distillates. So, it is something I would kinda like to know before I keep using Meguiar's on the tires.

Comment

I wish I could remember who it was that answered this question some time ago and hope he'll see this and give us his knowledge. In general what he summed up was not all petroleum distillates are the same and not all are bad. Some are even FDA approved for consumption. Some are used as a drying agent and flash off and get wiped off the surface. Some are nothing more than the agent that allows the product to be sprayed and does not remain on the surface. I recall the summary was Meguiar's does not make any products that are harmful for the surfaces they are designed to be used on. The small hairline cracks in tires can be caused by several different issues such as non use (tires sitting for long periods of time and not driven on), ozone, sun and air contaminants. End of this story as far as I'm concerned....if Meguiar's makes it...it is safe for the application it was designed for...PERIOD.
        Barry

Comment

While detailing my wifes Sienna, I noticed her Michelins had small cracks on all the tires. I have used Megiuars Endurance Tire Gel on the tires in the past. I now switched to Armor All Tire Gel.

When it gets new tires I am not dressing them. I find that once you put that goop on your tires and it washes off they never look good unless you put more on. They turn into an ugly brown and start cracking. My cars tires look black and no cracks, and I believe its cause I skip the goop. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Now that I think of it, petroleum is used in the process of manufacturing tires. The only time I have ever seen tire's turn brown, was due to being curbed, or the tires had contact with certain chemicals (not tire protectant, or tire shine) such as Wheel bright.

As far as cracks goes, that is caused by excessive sun/heat exposure, and age. If you left tire rubber in direct sunlight for 2-3 years, they WILL begin to deteriorate, and eventually start to develop cracks.

Comment

The Dodge: can you tell us what products are approved?

Comment

Originally posted by joaks View Post
                The only one that "Michelin approves" is there own(Michelin 3-N-1 Tire Shine) which is made by a chemical company called "Petroferm" and then the only other three I could find(that were petroleum distillate free) was a brand called 303 Aerospace Protectant, DuPont ****** Tire Shine and Griot's Vinyl & Rubber Dressing. I'm going to make a call to Meguiar's tomorrow and see what they say about whether they put petroleum distillate in the tire dressing products.

Again, I'm not dissing Meguiar's!! I have been a fan of Meguiar's for the last 7 years and I don't plan on changing.

Also, the "browning" y'all are talking about is the tire's way of protecting itself from ozone. It is called blooming and it is a chemical secretion from the tire itself. . . . .clean it off and over time it will come back!

Comment

Originally posted by joaks View Post
                  The only one that I could find that was "Michelin" approved was there own brand called 3-N-1 Tire Shine(which is made by a company called Petroferm). Then the only 3 I could find that were Petroleum Distillate free was 303 Aerospace Protectant, DuPont ****** Tire Shine and Griot's Vinyl & Rubber Dressing.
                  Remember, I'm not dissing Meguiar's(i have used them for 7+ years), I simply want to make sure I am not using something that may have a great look but in the end is shortening the life of my tire!!
                  Just a FYI, the "browning" y'all are talking about is a natural release of a chemical that is in the tire to protect the tire from the ozone's. It is called "blooming".

Comment

I would like to hear from the experts too.

I will enter this thread saying I understand the point of those that argue when Megs make a product then is good to use on our cars specially being all of us aware of Meguiars tradition and reliability. Also, I just not only understand but this was MY starting point.

I was surprised when reading the Owners manual from my Sentra that Nissan does not recommend any tire dressing because this product will react with a kind of a coat ( applied by the tire maker in the factory which is supposed to reduce tire discoloration ) and the residual from this reaction will be released and stain the paint. Don't know if this reaction can also cause any crack in tires. I am not an expert and believe me this is the explaination in the manual and I am just translating here from portuguese to english.

IF, continues the manual, the owner wants to use a dressing AT HIS OWN risk, Nissan recommends to use a water based product.

I decided to enter this discussion because HOT SHINE TIRE GEL in my opinion is the best tire dressing I ever used in terms of appearence and durability, I use this product three to four times per mounth on my cars and I don't want to stop using it. Reading the label in the back of bottle, it says the product is 'combustible'. Based on this writing, the consistency and durability of the product, I think I can deduce HOT SHINE gel is not water based.

I am using this HOT SHINE TIRE gel from 7 to 8 months and I understand maybe it is not enough usage to notice any tire degradation or even paint stain ( considering that theory ) due to the product. No problem at all until now.

When the manufacturer says one thing, Tire maker says other and Meguiars says it is safe, of course the consumer will be naturally confused. I think it is hard to create a common sense but I do prefer to believe Meguiars will make a safe and effective product as always. To me detailing a car without dressing the tires sounds like an incomplete job and I like so much the look of my tires after applying Hot Shine

Comment

Ops, sorry I duplicated the message.
                      Last edited by _Rodrigo; Jun 6, 2011, 07:06 PM. Reason: posted twice

Comment

Just to clarify, Nissan don't even mention any Tire maker, which turns their recomendations even more generic for all tire brands.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rodrigo View Post
                          Ops, sorry I duplicated the message.
                          Nope, that was me! I thought since I had taken to long to reply that my posting was gone, so I reposted pretty much the same thing. I too, have been using Hot Shine Tire Spray(for like the past 4 years) and never thought twice about it until I got new tires for my Ram(yeah its got a Hemi) and my wife's Magnum(no Hemi. . .just the wimpy 2.7L) and I noticed some cracking on the side wall's. I just assumed(i know what that does) that due to the fact I was using products that had Petroleum Distillates, it was causing the side walls to deteriorate and then after reading something about it on Michelin's site was like putting the nail in the coffin!! But I'm still not sold on facts that Petroleum Distillate's are bad for the tire. I'm going to order a bottle of Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner and see what it looks like. I just want to make sure I'm using the right products for things like tires!!

Comment

So far, no one has asked the age of the tires that are "cracking"?? how old are they? Driven daily? garaged or not?
                            Barry

Comment

Ive done two Honda Accords that had the same cracking around the wall .... one customer a friend took his car back to Discount Tire and received 80% pro rate discount on a new set ... apparently this is a known problem of Michelins

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');