• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a dual action polisher, and what else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a dual action polisher, and what else?

I'm finally moving away from foam applicator pads to the G110V2 dual action polisher. My shoulders have had enough. :P

I hope to be good at using it on my car so that one day, I can help friends and family detail their cars. That said, I'm trying to build my dual action polisher kit. A starter's kit, but somewhat complete. And I will add more as time goes by and I get better at it. The picture below found in this thread looks to be an ideal kit. And apart from SwirlX, I have every one of these liquids already.

The G110V2 already comes with the tool and a W68DA backing plate. So I think, just to get started, I should also have ready:
    - Two (or three?) Soft Buff 2.0 Polishing Pads
    - One (or two?) Soft Buff 2.0 Finishing Pads
    - Painter's Tape (various widths)
    - Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels
    - Soft Buff Terry Towels

I won't bother with the 4" Soft Buff pads yet because A) I can't find them anywhere, and B) it would probably just give me too much to think about already. Does all this sound good? Is there anything more or less I should consider having?

A couple questions:
    - How do these pads and products stack up to those found in the newly introduced DA Microfiber Correction System?
    - When cleaning pads, is it okay to press it down on a microfiber towel? Or is it best to use a terry cloth?

Thank you for your time.
    2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2-Door (Manual) in Black / Beige
    2012 Volkswagen CC R-Line (Manual) in Deep Black Metallic / Black
    2013 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo Convertible w/ Sound in Reef Blue Metallic / Beige

Re: Buying a dual action polisher, and what else?

You could order from ADS, check what kits Rick has together at the moment.

And to buy seperate, can also buy a case of 6 pads, and ask for 3 polishing, 3 finishing, or 3/2/1 cutting (mainly for if you were removing wax with a MF bonnet).

All you really need is machine, pads, and liquids.

The MF systems seems able to do a bit more correction, but nothing wrong with the foam pads.

I think Terry Cloth works a little better than MF, but use what you have.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Zaris View Post
      A couple questions:
      - How do these pads and products stack up to those found in the newly introduced DA Microfiber Correction System?
      Using Softbuff pads affords one the freedom of paring them with entire Mirror Glaze or Consumer line to create your own pad/product combination in determining what works best for you. As some products have more correction ability than others, and some finishing products give better results for certain types of paints, the Softbuff pads allows you to create your own "system" for optimum results in nearly every situation you encounter. In other words, the various available products in combination with the Softbuff pads, allows for a plethora of product/pad combinations that will allow you to address nearly every type of defect you encounter.

Whereas the MF Correction System is a pre-set system that ensures nearly optimal results using only 2 liquids and 2 pad types. The advantage to this is the simplicity and ease of use while achieving great results. The potential disadvantage is the limitations in regards to the defect correction ability of this system. Those of which can be read here.

The disadvantage to the Softbuff pad "system", if you will, is the potentially large number of products you will need to get the same results, which in turn increases the upfront investment of detailing. The advantages are that it allows you to learn the nuances of different product/pad combinations, and is a better route should you decide that you want to want to make detailing more than a hobby sometime in the future.

The Bottom Line: How much do you want to spend in terms of both dollars and time to get results that you'd be happy with? If you want to achieve the best possible results, go with the Mirror Glaze line and a collection of Softbuff pads. If you want great results with minimal investment in time (and frustration), my recommendation is the DA MF route. As a side note: the results that I've seen with those using the MF system are impressive.

- When cleaning pads, is it okay to press it down on a microfiber towel? Or is it best to use a terry cloth?
      In my experiences, terry cloths have a greater absorption than MF towels. Thusly, terry cloths would be the preferred method in the intermittent cleaning of pads. Though it is perfecly okay to use a MF too.

Comment

just ask the same question? DA foam pads or DA Microfiber System? It looks like people are liking the microfiber system better? easy and fast with less fuss (different waxes less steps) and just get one extra foam pad for the final finish wax if you like.
        but what do i know! new here will read some more on this site before i decide????

Comment

MF is esp good if you need more correction. The previous products can be used also, so can just get pads and then other products if you dont feel like the 2-step system will do what you want.

Not sure if there is a skill level difference?
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');