• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'60 Impala, Full Wet Sand and Buff: Rasky's Auto Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '60 Imala, Full Wet Sand and Buff: Rasky's Auto Detailing

A car just like that was my first as a teenager, except mine had a 348 instead of a 6 cylinder. I loved that car & your pics bring back good memories of me and my yellow simoniz wax can. Very nice job making the paint look so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark McGuire View Post
      Amazing, very nice restore. I don't think I remember seeing them come from the factory looking that nice.
      Thanks Mark!

Originally posted by Joe Dragon View Post
      A car just like that was my first as a teenager, except mine had a 348 instead of a 6 cylinder. I loved that car & your pics bring back good memories of me and my yellow simoniz wax can. Very nice job making the paint look so good.

Haha. Thanks Joe!
      Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Great Job, Chad. Looks great. Lots of work.
        Brian

Comment

Awesome work

Comment

Nice work! 50-60 hours! That certainly becomes tedious work, especially when working under a deadline...

May I be so crass as to ask what you charged? In our Shop we charge $65/hour to wet sand. That would be over $3500! And, no, I can't believe many people would pay that.

Curious.

Jim
            If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mister B View Post
              Great Job, Chad. Looks great. Lots of work.
              Thanks Bryan!

Originally posted by aris View Post
              Awesome work
              Thank you!

Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit View Post
              Nice work! 50-60 hours! That certainly becomes tedious work, especially when working under a deadline...

May I be so crass as to ask what you charged? In our Shop we charge $65/hour to wet sand. That would be over $3500! And, no, I can't believe many people would pay that.

Curious.

Jim
              Thanks Jim!

I've actually been working with this owner for a very long time now. He's a great friend and as noted above, he was actually my boss/mentor for the first part of my detailing career.

I now have him set up on a wholesale rate and would rather not post it publicly, but my retail rate for wet sanding and other detailing is $60hr. He mainly buys and sells cars now but actually still owns a detail shop. However, it's high volume oriented so when he buys cars like this he'd rather pay me do them right.

You also have to keep in mind that I do this on the side more as a hobby than anything. While I don't deny that it's some good extra income for me, its never really been about the money. I simply love working on classic cars like this...taken them from the condition above to what you see in the final pics.

I feel the price I charged him was fair and it was enough to make it worth my time as well.

If you like I can PM you the amount though.

Cheers,
              Rasky
              Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Stunning work Chad... was this car auctioned at the BTT50's show this past weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by N8Dogg98 View Post
                  Stunning work Chad... was this car auctioned at the BTT50's show this past weekend?
                  Thanks Nate!

Nope, it sold up at Northstar Auto Auction (Manheim) in Shakopee. Had it not sold there he would have brought it to the BTT50's show.

Did you make it down there at all? I planned to go Saturday but the weather didn't work out.
                  Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Looks insane Rasky.

Excellent work.
                    Nick
                    Tucker's Detailing Services
                    815-954-0773
                    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                      Thanks Nate!

Nope, it sold up at Northstar Auto Auction (Manheim) in Shakopee. Had it not sold there he would have brought it to the BTT50's show.

Did you make it down there at all? I planned to go Saturday but the weather didn't work out.
                      I went Saturday with the wife and the 2 boys, got rained out so we went back on Sunday. Lots of nice stuff there

Had somewhat of a funny experience though. On Saturday it was pouring, and the 2nd kid was crying non-stop (he's only 2 months old) so we asked one of the vendors if my wife could feed the little one in the back of their tent. They were nice about it and even let her use one of their canvas chairs to sit on,etc...

Anyways the guys in the tent happened to be selling Dri-Wash 'n Guard products. I talked to one of them for a bit about the product. He claims that it washes the car AND polishes the paint w/o using fillers so compounding with a rotary or d/a isn't necessary and that it will fix swirls and paint imperfections. I told him I've had good luck with ONR, and that I've really enjoyed using the M105/205 products lately, but he still claimed that none of this is necessary and that the Dri Wash N Guard would fix the swirls w/o compounding/polishing. He went on to say he's a professional detailer and he's been doing this for years, etc....

I didn't say anything becuase they were nice enough to let my wife feed the kid in their chair, but what a joke. There was this beautiful orange and white '55 Chevy in the tent and the sales guy took some muddy water, let it dry on a body panel, and proceeded to wash with this product using a dirty terry-cloth towel. I didn't have a flashlight and the sun wasn't out, so it was hard to tell if it scratched the paint. The point is when I read through these forums and see the amount of sweat you guys put into polishing paint I have to laugh when some guy tells me it's just a matter of spraying, wiping with a terry cloth towel, letting it haze, polishing off with a microfiber towel, and BAM perfect paint.

On the other hand, if this guy is right all you professionals are clearly doing it all wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                        Looks insane Rasky.

Excellent work.
                        Thanks Nick!

Originally posted by N8Dogg98 View Post
                        I went Saturday with the wife and the 2 boys, got rained out so we went back on Sunday. Lots of nice stuff there

Had somewhat of a funny experience though. On Saturday it was pouring, and the 2nd kid was crying non-stop (he's only 2 months old) so we asked one of the vendors if my wife could feed the little one in the back of their tent. They were nice about it and even let her use one of their canvas chairs to sit on,etc...

Anyways the guys in the tent happened to be selling Dri-Wash 'n Guard products. I talked to one of them for a bit about the product. He claims that it washes the car AND polishes the paint w/o using fillers so compounding with a rotary or d/a isn't necessary and that it will fix swirls and paint imperfections. I told him I've had good luck with ONR, and that I've really enjoyed using the M105/205 products lately, but he still claimed that none of this is necessary and that the Dri Wash N Guard would fix the swirls w/o compounding/polishing. He went on to say he's a professional detailer and he's been doing this for years, etc....

I didn't say anything becuase they were nice enough to let my wife feed the kid in their chair, but what a joke. There was this beautiful orange and white '55 Chevy in the tent and the sales guy took some muddy water, let it dry on a body panel, and proceeded to wash with this product using a dirty terry-cloth towel. I didn't have a flashlight and the sun wasn't out, so it was hard to tell if it scratched the paint. The point is when I read through these forums and see the amount of sweat you guys put into polishing paint I have to laugh when some guy tells me it's just a matter of spraying, wiping with a terry cloth towel, letting it haze, polishing off with a microfiber towel, and BAM perfect paint.

On the other hand, if this guy is right all you professionals are clearly doing it all wrong

LOL! Too funny!

Yeah, that stuff has been around for a while. I'd probably just bite my tongue too and play dumb.
                        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');