• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxliner overspray removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxliner overspray removal

I just recieved a call from an old customer that sprayed a boxliner in his brand new Dodge truck. The problem is when he sprayed the liner he got "alot" of overspray on both boxsides. He tried to get it off using Acitone but only removed a bit here and there. This is a $70,000 truck!(ouch) I told him I'd come take a look tomorrow and see if I can do anything. Not so sure I can. Anyone dealt with this stuff? Any suggeations? It's not Line-X but it is simular and sprayed on the same way.
    Thanks for any help.
    Professional Automotive Reconditioning Services
    "You scuff it-I buff it!"

Re: Boxliner overspray removal

As much as I'd like to be able to help, I can't. Those 'spray in' bed liners are beyond tough.

Example: I have Line-X and God only knows what all I've spilled on it, it still looks like it did when it was applied in 2004. Not a 'shiney' black any longer, but very black, no lifting or bubbles.

Did the installer offer ANY help?

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
      As much as I'd like to be able to help, I can't. Those 'spray in' bed liners are beyond tough.

Example: I have Line-X and God only knows what all I've spilled on it, it still looks like it did when it was applied in 2004. Not a 'shiney' black any longer, but very black, no lifting or bubbles.

Did the installer offer ANY help?

Bill
      Thanks for your reply BillE. I was kinda thinking the same as you so I was hoping, mabe, just maybe, somebody has had to reove this stuff off a panel before. Oh well. I'm heading out there in a few minutes to see what I can d. If I do get it off I'll be sure to post up what I did.

All the installer(owner of the truck) said was that they tried Acitone because that usaly get the little overspray they somestimes get off. But this time he said both box sides are completly speckeled and they cou'nt get it off. So we'll just have to see I guess. I made no promises (I have'nt even seen it yet) but I'll give it a shot.

Comment

When I used to work at a high volume reconditioning shop, there used to be a bedliner installer next to us and he used to send his vehicles over to us to remove any excess, oversprayed bedliner that may have found its way onto the painted surfaces. We used a product from Car Brite, but as this was many moons ago, I can't recall the name, and the Car Brite website has since changed quite a bit since then, approx 10 years ago. If memory serves me correctly, it was a cosmoline cleaner.

I remember that it was a translucent liquid, but don't remember if it was petroleum based, or water based, though it makes me want to say that it was the former as when the product was mixed with water, it turned into an opaque emulsion with the consistency of really soft tofu, or about what Yoplait brand yogurt is. We would wash the truck in this emulsion, which removed the oversprayed bedliner with ease, rinse, then followup with regular car wash.

Try contacting Car Brite to see if they still have such a product, as I do not believe that Meguiars has such a prouct in their product line.

Comment

The moral of the story? Don't spray bedliner on your truck if you're too lazy to tape and bag the entire truck.

He saved two hours by short cutting the masking!

CALL THE MANUFACTURER OF THE BEDLINER PRODUCT FOR REMOVAL SUGGESTIONS. I'll bet the Do it yourself stuff isn't as permanent as professionally installed products.

(So much for do it yourself.)

P.S.: Is Acitone a Canadian brand name for generic acetone?

Comment

I have removed very fine overspray with clay.

But if your seeing little black dots all over the truck then that is a 70k truck that is destroyed as I have one or two isolated black dots in my tailgate jamb on my truck and to this day I cannot get them off.

Let us know what happens.
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Well I forgot my camera of course but I did get it all off. First off it was'nt as bad as I thought. There was alot of black dots on side. He just washed it so I started right away. Clay bar did nothing. So I tried what they were trying Acitone. Nothing.( rinced panel) So I improvised and just did what I was planning on doing in the first place. RAZORBLADE!! Ya his eyes went big to lol. Anyhow I used a PLASTIC blade with some quick detailer spray on the panel for lube. It took awhile but it ALL came off. However I did put a few of my own scraches (very light) in the paint from the blade. So I then used some M205 with a LC orange pad with the PC. Took it out in the sun and all was good. Topped it with NXT2.0(DA/ w black LC pad) and was on my marry way. ( not too mary though...I'm grumpy ol' fart). He was happy.. I am happy Truck looks awsome. Was a good day. Plus I get a new windshield in my Jeep for free

Comment

Originally posted by STG View Post
                The moral of the story? Don't spray bedliner on your truck if you're too lazy to tape and bag the entire truck.

He saved two hours by short cutting the masking!

CALL THE MANUFACTURER OF THE BEDLINER PRODUCT FOR REMOVAL SUGGESTIONS. I'll bet the Do it yourself stuff isn't as permanent as professionally installed products.

(So much for do it yourself.)

P.S.: Is Acitone a Canadian brand name for generic acetone?
                The bed liner was Armour Guard. He does this for a living. He told me he thought his helper tapped it good but somehow it got under the masking job and on the boxsides. He's done a ton of trucks and this is the first one I know of that he messed up. Licky it was his!

Comment

Good to see it all came out good in the end!

Me thinks he might be looking for a new helper though for masking duties...LOL.

Bill

Comment

He lucked out. Great job!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');