• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question on wax bonding and the potential for interference by a quick detailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question on wax bonding and the potential for interference by a quick detailer?

A question on wax bonding and the potential for interference by a quick detailer?

Meguiar's has a confusing list of seemingly similar products that is very hard to sort out. So I'm coming to the horse's mouth for the definitive answer. :-)

I imagine that with your expanding line of quick detailers that for some functions it wouldn't matter which one you used. Such as claying lubricant or QD'ing over a Carnauba finish.

However, what I need to know is that,

If you use a polymer or acrylic based synthetic wax, which quick detailer would be safe to use so that the synthetic can be reapplied?

What I'm getting at is that, sure you can put any Carnauba over a synthetic, but then you have to strip it all down to re-apply the synthetic again because the Carnauba would prevent the synthetic product from bonding to the paint.

Again, which QD'r would be used to maintain a sterile surface in conjunction with polishes and paint cleaners?

I think #34 FI would be your best bet.

Comment

Hi Steve,

I understand your question and have seen questions like this before.

Here's what I think.

A quality wax, whether it is a natural, synthetic, or blended product will adhere to a properly prepared finish. I think to the degree that any product already on the surface would interfere with this adhering process would be nominal to the point that no one could tell the difference in a side-by-side test of a chemically cleaned surface versus a surface as you describe.

Would there be a difference? Maybe, but not enough to make a difference. This entire subject is really focusing on the minors, not the majors. Again, this applies to a quality product. The quality of some products, (read as the technology behind them), handicap them from adhering really well in the first place.

I've been detailing cars for over 15 years, (longer than some, not as long as others), I prefer to stay within one company's line of products because the chemist who make the products understand the chemistry involved with the formulas and can therefore insure compatibility. I'm a real system kind of guy, so that's what works for me.

I think a quality wax is going to adhere to the paint as long as the paint is properly prepared. If wiping the finish down with a quick detailer is part of the process, then the product should adhere.

For example:

Final Inspection is body shop safe. This means there are no ingredients in this formula that will adversely affect surface adhesion.

Last Touch contains some ingredients that are not body shop safe, this product is not recommended for use in a body shop environment. Same thing applies to Quik Detailer.

What I'm saying is, if you use a quality wax, and apply it over a car's finish after using either of these two products, a quality product is going to adhere equally well regardless of which quick detailer was used.

That said, if you want to take things to the extreme, then #34 Final Inspection would probably be the best choice as it is body shop safe.

1. What's the difference between Quik Detailer, (A-33) and Final Inspection, (M-34)?

Hope this helps...

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi Mike,

Just a curious question.

What you means by "body shop safe"?

I have been using #21 on my car monthly, and had indeed purchased 1 gal of Last Touch to use as QD weekly to maintain my car. I only got my Last Touch last week so have not started using yet.

Do you means that Last Touch is not safe to use weekly as it will affect the #21?

Hope you can advise. If Final Inspection is a better choice then I think will purchase Final Inspection in future.

Thanks

Comment

I believe body-shop safe means that it doesn't contain ingredients that might affect surface adhesion. For example, silicone affects the way paint adheres to metal so any product containing silicone is not considered body-shop safe. When it comes to QD's and waxes, I really don't think it will make much of a difference. The term is used more for paint.

Comment

Top Down is correct.

Remember, historically Meguiar's has manufactured product for use at the OEM level on the assembly line and for the refinishing industry, for these industries your products must be safe for use in a fresh paint environment, that is where fresh paint is being sprayed.

Body shop safe means the product contains no ingredients that will affect surface adhesion when fresh paint is sprayed onto a properly prepped panel.

Meguiar's didn't make their first wax until 1950 and didn't start making products for the Consumer market until 1973.

Last Touch is perfectly safe to use over any of our waxes.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your time and explanation.

I am glad to hear that and also happy to learn something new.

I will be using my Last Touch this coming weekends.

Thanks so much

Comment

I use Last Touch with #21 and it is a great combination. The NXT Speed Detailer also works very well with it. Those are my two favorite Quik Detailers. Neither creates any bonding issues with the #21. You can even use it every day, like I do!

RamAirV1
                2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Re: A question on wax bonding and the potential for interference by a quick detailer?

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');