• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I get some input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get some input

So I've been having some struggles getting new business. People love the work I do but my pricing may be too high in this economy. So I called around to get prices and the competition is charging 100 for cars and 125 for full size suv and pickup. And that's bumper to bumper. Full in and out. Now as far as the service provided it's terrible. One step buff. **** left in the cracks in the interiors. But people continue to go back. 1 guy and like 3 kids in the shop doing 4 cars a day. When I do cars I spend maybe a day on them and get more bucks but not near the volume. So do I cut the quality of service to get them out the door and lower prices to save time. It seems people don't really care as long as it looks better then when it came in and most don't have the eye we do for it I guess.

Re: Can I get some input

Hm... try to analyse situation deeply. It's might not be that "people simply don't care" but maybe there is another advantage, maybe your competition has better location, or is well-known (in business for a long time) etc. etc.

Customers usually do care.

Comment

The location is good. I offer free delivery and return service tho. In my opinion people don't care if they get their car done with a claybar. Or all the swirls out. More if it shines. Are the tires shiny. Is te speedo glass clean. Now the demographics here are a bunch of hip hop hillbillies. Not really people who care for their cars.

Comment

Around here most detail shops at the car wash use brushes to scrape bugs off, don't use microfiber towels, routinely use clay that has been dropped on the ground, and leave holograms across the paint. They don't care because the customers don't care, the customers don't care because they assume that swirls are normal. Most people I meet have NEVER waxed there car, EVER. They send it through a 20$ tunnel and call it clean. 90% of the car paint around here feels like sandpaper.

What you need to do is find the kinds of customers who cares about his or her car, and who understands that to get it (and keep it) perfect will take time and money, but that results will turn heads when they drive down the street.
        Drinkin' the Meguiars Kool-Aid

Comment

All I do is clean inside and out. People do like my work. Exterior- I wash by hand, and dry by hand, add tire gel. Interior- I vacuum, clean all stains on panels, dash and trim pieces. They usaully pay me $15-$30. It takes me about 1 hour-1.5 hours. (depending on how dirty the interior is)

Comment

Originally posted by grapplerwags View Post
            So I've been having some struggles getting new business. People love the work I do but my pricing may be too high in this economy. So I called around to get prices and the competition is charging 100 for cars and 125 for full size suv and pickup. And that's bumper to bumper. Full in and out. Now as far as the service provided it's terrible. One step buff. **** left in the cracks in the interiors. But people continue to go back. 1 guy and like 3 kids in the shop doing 4 cars a day. When I do cars I spend maybe a day on them and get more bucks but not near the volume. So do I cut the quality of service to get them out the door and lower prices to save time. It seems people don't really care as long as it looks better then when it came in and most don't have the eye we do for it I guess.
            I'm in the same boat you are my friend!!! I feel that I do quality work, but people don't want to pay for someone to really take there time and "be nice" to there car. They want it shiny and smelling clean and thats about it.

Originally posted by KKloppe View Post
            Around here most detail shops at the car wash use brushes to scrape bugs off, don't use microfiber towels, routinely use clay that has been dropped on the ground, and leave holograms across the paint. They don't care because the customers don't care, the customers don't care because they assume that swirls are normal. Most people I meet have NEVER waxed there car, EVER. They send it through a 20$ tunnel and call it clean. 90% of the car paint around here feels like sandpaper.

What you need to do is find the kinds of customers who cares about his or her car, and who understands that to get it (and keep it) perfect will take time and money, but that results will turn heads when they drive down the street.
            I agree 100% with you!! Getting the right cliental is key and the most hardest part. I have a friend that has a Acura TL, Acura MDX and a Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale and they are one of my best clients. I also have some friends that are real estate agents and they will ask me to detail there car so its nice and clean when there customers ride around with them. You could always go to your local church and see if any single moms or old people that need there cars washed(just as some extra income). You gotta be creative. . . .its not easy!!

Originally posted by 85300zx View Post
            All I do is clean inside and out. People do like my work. Exterior- I wash by hand, and dry by hand, add tire gel. Interior- I vacuum, clean all stains on panels, dash and trim pieces. They usaully pay me $15-$30. It takes me about 1 hour-1.5 hours. (depending on how dirty the interior is)
            $30 is it. . . . .if you don't mind me asking, How do you do all what you mentioned for only $30? Is that a flat rate or hourly?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dodge View Post
              I'm in the same boat you are my friend!!! I feel that I do quality work, but people don't want to pay for someone to really take there time and "be nice" to there car. They want it shiny and smelling clean and thats about it.

I agree 100% with you!! Getting the right cliental is key and the most hardest part. I have a friend that has a Acura TL, Acura MDX and a Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale and they are one of my best clients. I also have some friends that are real estate agents and they will ask me to detail there car so its nice and clean when there customers ride around with them. You could always go to your local church and see if any single moms or old people that need there cars washed(just as some extra income). You gotta be creative. . . .its not easy!!

$30 is it. . . . .if you don't mind me asking, How do you do all what you mentioned for only $30? Is that a flat rate or hourly?
              That is a flat rate. I don't power wash the carpets or anything. Just a vacuum on carpets.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');