• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to bring life to my 2001 Mustang GT with Black Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bring life to my 2001 Mustang GT with Black Paint

First of all, I want to say how much I love Meg's stuff! On my old truck (Black Explorer) I used your claybar kit, Ultimate Car Wash, Ultimate Detailer, and Ultimate Liquid Wax. I love your ultimate line or products! Anyway, recently I bought a 2001 Mustang GT. The older gentleman I bought it from took care of the care mechanically, but cosmetically you can tell it was neglected. First of all, the car sat out in the hot Florida sun. He also had it sitting in the garage for a while to pile things on. I got the car for an amazing price with low miles. I like to turn the wrench so I wasn't horribly concerned about the pain. It's a blast to drive and work on, but I want to make it visually appealing to the eye as well as many stare when she gets opened up and the exhaust roars. When I first got it I:

Washed it
    Clay Bar'ed it
    Washed it again
    Waxed it
    Spray Detailed it

The paint looks a lot better, but the scratches and swirl makes on the hood look so bad! It literally looks like a mouse danced all over it. The scratches aren't super deep, but are noticeable and should be fixable as its only in the clear coat. Here is what I am thinking of doing

-Washing the car with Ultimate Car Wash
    -Clay barring the car
    -Hitting the hood with scratchx as this is the area of the car with the scratch and swirl damage. I have a orbital polisher and what pad do I use?
    -Hitting the entire car with Ultimate Compound to further remove scratches plus take the top oxidation off from baking in the sun. Again, pad needed to be used?
    -Hitting the car with Ultimate Polish to prep the paint for Wax. Again, pad?
    -Hit the car with glaze to help restore shine?? (read this is optional)
    -Wax car with Ultimate Liquid wax

All this will be done in a garage. As you can tell, I plan on waking up early on a Saturday and trying to knock it all out if I can. She sits in the garage at home and in a garage at work so she no longer bakes in the sun, but I want her shine back! Pictures below show the damage. Help!

EDIT: The pictures, especially the first, make the scratches look horrible. They aren't that bad, but I guess its the direction of the lap.

Re: How to bring life to my 2001 Mustang GT with Black Paint

No need for ScratchX.

Just UC then Ult. Polish. You would want to use a polishing pad for the products.

Probably wont need the glaze after.

Then wax.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Wow thanks for your fast response sir! As far as no scratchx, what is this product in comparison to the compound? Is scratchx a product for small areas versus the compound which is for large? Excuse my noobness, but I never had a car with paint this neglected.

As far as the compound goes, how well does it remove scratches as show above? I've watched multiple videos on how to do it technique wise, but I want to get my products down right.

Comment

Scratch X is less aggressive then the UC

Comment

Are you doing this by hand? The paint is pretty bad shape and will need a good machine polish. Maybe get the G110v2 if you don't have a polisher yet.

Comment

Yes I gave a orbital polisher that I can use. Should I use UC on the entire car or the hood only? I didn't know UC was more aggressive then scratchx

Comment

You can use UC everywhere.

Just do a small test area first of course.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');