• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 Altima Paint Restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Altima Paint Restore

After being laid up for a year with two back fusions, the car was not waxed. Somehow acid rain had etched into the finishBefore that happened I was working at least 60 hours a week on my main job as an HVAC Mechanic, then I was rebuilding motors at night. So the car needed a lot of work. Sap ate through the clear coat on the drivers door in several spots. So very carefully, I had to DA sand and feather the edges of the remaining good clear coat. Followed up with a wet sand and Diamond Cut 2.0 Buff. The rest of the car was oxidized, full of scratches paint surface uneven (wet sand 2000 grit was done). Any remaining scratches are in the primer and out my of control, until I pull the old match stick and dupilicolor and buff trick. It seems everyone pushes the new mirror glaze products, but I am set in my ways with what I like. So I used the old trusty M83, and M80. To add depth and clarity (at least in my eyes) I used M09. After lugging the old rotary around, I used my featherweight porter cable to polish in my favorite M07. For wax I used Collinite 476S the first coat buffed in at the lowest speed possible. The last two thin coats by hand. There is a trick to getting the paste out of the tin, just heat it up first, then use a putty knife to get it out, apply it to a finesse pad and buff in. For the windshield I buffed it out with Cerium Oxide Slur, and then followed with Kar Kraft Glass Cleaner. Headlights were easy to restore borax and a 3m green pad to scuff out the grit. Wool compound pad, and a rotary buff at full speed with some diamond cut. Just don't hold it on there to long, and pay attention or you will melt the plastic. I still shoot medium format positive film, so these are from a cellphone camera, not the best quality.
    Products Used[IMG][/IMG]
    3M Sand Paper
    Diamond Cut Compound 2.0
    Dual Action Cleaner Polish
    Speed Glaze
    Swirl Remover 2.0
    Show Car Glaze
    Collinite 476s Paste Wax
    Kar Kraft Cherry Wash
    Kar Kraft Hi Lite
    Kar Kraft All Purpose Cleaner (Forget the name)
    Kar Kraft Glass Cleaner
    Cerium Oxide Powder

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    This Is the Front Windshield
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Hard to Tell where I blended on the driver door
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG]

Re: 2001 Altima Paint Restore

Excellent save!

Comment

Nicely done, indeed.

Comment

Thank you, I finally have the wifes car done to find problems with mine. Started the project today, and will have to finish it when motivated.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');